Is Harpoon what I'm looking for? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition

76mm -> Is Harpoon what I'm looking for? (8/26/2012 8:43:30 PM)

Hi, I'm looking for a WWII tactical naval game to use as an adjunct for a fictional WWII campaign I'm working on. I have pretty simple needs--WWII German vs Sov, PT boats, destroyers, shore batteries, aircraft, AA, transports, that's probably about it.

I'm not a naval grog and was hoping to find something simple that I could use, but so far I haven't found anything suitable. I picked up Battlefront's PT South Gambit, which looked perfect on paper but in practice I don't care for it.

I've looked at Harpoon for years, but it has always looked a bit too hard core for me. I can try the demo to see if the interface is OK, but a few specific questions:
1) is the game relatively easy to pick up?
2) I guess all of the WWII units are included in some database, but does it come with the game or is there a there a modded DB that I need?
3) Is the scenario editor pretty easy to use?
4) If this is not the game I'm looking for, can anyone recommend anything else? I don't like clickfests and am not that worried about graphics. I've looked at Warship Combat, but it does not seem to include aircraft?!

Vincenzo Beretta -> RE: Is Harpoon what I'm looking for? (8/26/2012 9:30:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

1) is the game relatively easy to pick up?

It's not too bad and there are plenty of videos to show you the ropes on the "Harpoon for Dummies" channel

quote:

2) I guess all of the WWII units are included in some database, but does it come with the game or is there a there a modded DB that I need?

There are third-party WW2 databases available for both the Harpoon Classic and Harpoon3/ANW/HUE versions.

quote:

3) Is the scenario editor pretty easy to use?

The basic commands for either the HC or H3 scenario editors is not too difficult to learn. Getting the most out of the AI performance can be very tricky, though.

quote:

4) If this is not the game I'm looking for, can anyone recommend anything else? I don't like clickfests and am not that worried about graphics. I've looked at Warship Combat, but it does not seem to include aircraft?!

WC: NAV is a good game, but it does not have aircraft at this time. Other good WW2 games are Action Stations (free), but it also only has a few spotting planes. HPS Midway and Complete Carriers at War (original), plus Fightning Steel with the campaign engine, Thunder at Sea.
The biggest problem with Harpoon as a WW2 game is the lack of gunfire arcs, instantaneous turns, and instantaneous acceleration. All of these factors were vital in WW2 combat, but are missing in Harpoon.

76mm -> RE: Is Harpoon what I'm looking for? (8/27/2012 3:55:49 AM)

Thanks for the answers. Two follow-on questions:

1) The flaws that you point out seem like they'd be a bit less relevant for the ship classes I'm looking to use (PT boats, destroyers) than things like battleships, etc. Also, as I said, I'm not a naval grog so could probably live with these shortcomings.

2) Which version of Harpoon would be best, I'm a bit confused about the twenty versions? By "best" I mean (1) has a WWII database; (2) easiest to use; and (3) includes a scenario editor.

After looking around, I realize how few WWII tactical naval games are out there, I had always assumed that you naval guys were spoiled for choice!

Cdr Sylvester -> RE: Is Harpoon what I'm looking for? (8/27/2012 11:40:21 AM)

quote:

Thanks for the answers. Two follow-on questions:

2) Which version of Harpoon would be best, I'm a bit confused about the twenty versions? By "best" I mean (1) has a WWII database; (2) easiest to use; and (3) includes a scenario editor.

Hi there, welcome onboard. There's no "best" version, only thing to ponder is what's the most enjoying version for you. It's possible to download and install both Harpoon 3 and Harpoon Classic, the latter being seemingly easier for newcomers; but it's really a matter of personal choice.

FG

76mm -> RE: Is Harpoon what I'm looking for? (8/27/2012 12:04:42 PM)

Thanks, sounds like Harpoon Classic might be the better bet. I assume that both of these are included in HUE, but will double-check.

Also, while I will try to figure out which WWII DB is best for me, could someone--without starting some kind of flame war--recommend which of the WWII DBs would be better for me? As mentioned, I am looking for WWII German-Soviet with the focus on small ships.

[EDIT] OK, I looked at the screen shot showing all of the versions included in HUE and don't see anything labelled "Harpoon Classic". Also, I note that Matrix says that HCE and ANW are still being supported, but it doesn't mention Harpoon Classic. Can the WWII DBs also be used with HCE as well? Any other reason not to use HCE?

[Second EDIT]I've watched the video comparing HC to H3. Is H3 the same thing as ANW??]

CV32 -> RE: Is Harpoon what I'm looking for? (8/27/2012 3:08:27 PM)

quote:

Also, I note that Matrix says that HCE and ANW are still being supported, but it doesn't mention Harpoon Classic. Can the WWII DBs also be used with HCE as well? Any other reason not to use HCE?
[Second EDIT]I've watched the video comparing HC to H3. Is H3 the same thing as ANW??]

Harpoon Classic is the ancestor of HCE (Harpoon Commanders Edition), just as H3 (Harpoon 3) is the ancestor of ANW (Advanced Naval Warfare).

76mm -> RE: Is Harpoon what I'm looking for? (8/27/2012 5:17:31 PM)

CV32, I checked out your website and the HCWW--very impressive, I am amazed how much work people have put into this game.

I reviewed list of units in this link on your site: http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/topic/4389-hcww-new-version-release-announcements/

In this list, I didn't see many WWII Sov ships--just lots of submarines and some aircraft; however I noticed that that thread only listed additions, presumably to some earlier DB. Does the HCWW also include WWII Sov ships such as destroyers and PT boats? Is there a list anywhere to look at? Can I open the DB before buying the game?

CV32 -> RE: Is Harpoon what I'm looking for? (8/27/2012 7:38:27 PM)

quote:

In this list, I didn't see many WWII Sov ships--just lots of submarines and some aircraft; however I noticed that that thread only listed additions, presumably to some earlier DB. Does the HCWW also include WWII Sov ships such as destroyers and PT boats? Is there a list anywhere to look at? Can I open the DB before buying the game?

That thread contains the complete list of entries in the database. I haven't got around to adding Soviet surface ships, and its unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future, with other parts of the HCE project having priority.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.320313E-02