AP and what to save to attack (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue

abulbulian -> AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 4:53:58 PM)

One of the concepts I'd like to nail down is the ability to know that I can move to a hex and still attack. What do people use to determine ho many AP are needed to attack. I'm trying to find a chart, but all I've found so far is the movement cost chart. Is there something else to know what a unit(type?) would have to pay in AP to attack a certain terrain?

I guess what I need is the minimum AP to attack, because it seems the AP expenditure varies with the success level of the attack as well (how many rounds?).

I would have expected this type of information to be in the Combat section (6.1 How to Initiate an Attack), or at least a reference to another section that has it. But nothing [:(]

Thanks

Grotius -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 4:59:22 PM)

I'm curious too. The manual seems to suggest you could attack with as few as 10 APs, but if I have less than, say, 30 APs, I can't attack.

Also, I assume the chances of success decrease with fewer APs?

abulbulian -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:05:27 PM)

Well one of the first issues I ran into is thinking 30 would be enough, but it wasn't in my situation. Thus, my moving a unit in that hex was a complete waste of time and not smart because it could not even attack. Without knowing if a unit can still initiate combat after a move is a HUGE disadvantage. Pref not to 'fly blind' when it comes to this important battle concern.

Treale -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:06:05 PM)

I think that you need 10AP's plus enough to enter the hex?

abulbulian -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:06:50 PM)

Ok, that sounds plausible. I will test out your theory.
Thanks

James Ward -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:12:50 PM)

Don't the red arrows that appear on hexes when you pick a unit to move indicate you can move and attack there?

rominet -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:12:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

I don't think so; i have already seen a unit with 16 AP left but no possibility to attack and it was in plain.
It is a good question.

Treale -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:21:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rominet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

I don't think so; i have already seen a unit with 16 AP left but no possibility to attack and it was in plain.
It is a good question.

I think that you have to take into consideration of terrain and ZOC's, and maybe weather?

jnpoint -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:23:15 PM)

And then it is important too to have enough AP's to have an attack that last long enough to win. I have some times made that mistake and attacked with too few AP's and the battle last for only a few seconds.

map66 -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:25:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

Don't the red arrows that appear on hexes when you pick a unit to move indicate you can move and attack there?

Yes, and that is pretty much the only way I can figure out if an attack is going to be allowed or not--- it's a very nice interface feature that took a while for me to notice. That said, I'm still confused on calculations such as whether playing a speed card or such would allow an attack.

abulbulian -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:27:13 PM)

quote:

Yes, but that does me and others no good when trying to determine if AFTER a move you can still attack a given hex. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear from the initial post. Unless there's some secret way to UNDO a move. Then all would be fine. [:D]

rominet -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 5:47:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

And then it is important too to have enough AP's to have an attack that last long enough to win. I have some times made that mistake and attacked with too few AP's and the battle last for only a few seconds.

Yes but even with only 1 round, it can be important to be able to attack in order to have for example, a concentric bonus and an enhanced stack limit.

map66 -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 8:28:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

quote:

Yes, but that does me and others no good when trying to determine if AFTER a move you can still attack a given hex. Sorry if I didn't make that more clear from the initial post. Unless there's some secret way to UNDO a move. Then all would be fine. [:D]

Now I'm confused--- when clicking move, all available hexes to move to are highlighted, and red arrows from any high lighted hexes show any possible attacks. The only instance where you shouldn't know is when there is a concealed unit in a hex.

elmo3 -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/4/2012 8:38:11 PM)

I believe you are correct map66. A red arrow from any hex you can reach means you can also make an attack into the hex where the arrow points when you get to that hex.

abulbulian -> RE: AP and what to save to attack (8/5/2012 12:26:55 AM)

ok I was wrong, you can see the hexes with red arrows a unit can attack (in move mode) beyond enemy units adjacent. Very nice.... [&o]

Thanks

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02