Question? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog

wodin -> Question? (4/23/2012 10:00:03 PM)

So this is a brand new game using the CC engine but will be the last game made using that engine? As the first statement sounded as if this was going to be another redo of the last game that originally came out.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Question? (4/23/2012 10:41:36 PM)

This is both a brand new CC game (not a re-do) and also the last CC game using the current engine. That sentence is carefully phrased.

general_solomon -> RE: Question? (4/23/2012 11:27:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is both a brand new CC game (not a re-do) and also the last CC game using the current engine. That sentence is carefully phrased.

I had to read it a couple of times in the wargamer thread. thinking what is eric meaning by saying "the current engine".

please tell me you guy are working on a new engine? and please tell me your going to put enough resources to finish this project in this decade??

eric, can you please talk a little more on the plans for the new engine.

wodin -> RE: Question? (4/24/2012 1:44:51 AM)

So that sounds like the game after this will be a new engine...now thats exciting news!

Actually this not being a redo is quite exciting aswell. I owned all the original games so never bothered with the redos. This may have me though.

zeduncan -> RE: Question? (4/25/2012 2:11:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

It's announced to handle up to 210 men compared to 60-70 at max today.
Big improvement to the current engine ! [X(]

It was my big frustation with CC series : not enough units.

Great change in the current engine.

wodin -> RE: Question? (4/25/2012 4:32:06 PM)

I hope it doesn't become uncontrollable or a click fest with that many units. Thats a worry for me to be honest.

Tejszd -> RE: Question? (4/26/2012 2:02:24 AM)

Handling the units should be fine as you can create your groups of units and assign them a number to quickly switch between groups.

Sapa -> RE: Question? (4/26/2012 3:13:29 PM)

Will be a lot of girls running in the wrong direction[:)]

Platoon_Michael -> RE: Question? (4/26/2012 4:02:20 PM)

What options are available in this game?
Did we get anything from the CCMT versions?

Digging in?
Moving troops inside Vehicles?

2vs.2 in H2H or maybe 5vs.5 in H2H or is it still 1on1 online?

Please tell me you did something to increase the online experience for Head to Head

Also what are the sizes of the Maps?
With the statement that the game now supports 21 teams most people are assuming the maps are rather larger ala CCMT size.

Tejszd -> RE: Question? (4/28/2012 4:44:55 PM)

The map drawings will need to be larger if the comments/pics of tanks and maps at the same scale are accurate. Is the scale the same?

Other posts mention Slitherine has a server for H2H game matching integrated into the game. Could be good but definitely do not want the direct IP connection method removed. Is it still possibly to connect directly by IP?

Platoon_Michael -> RE: Question? (4/29/2012 3:27:19 AM)

What will be the Max limit for the gadgets,strategic map,strategic map connections?

Will this game be able to support a full Mod conversion of WAR?

Steve McClaire -> RE: Question? (5/1/2012 4:53:17 PM)

Couple quick answers:

For Panthers in the Fog, there will be an increase to a maximum of 21 teams per side, though not all battle groups will have this many teams.

The map scale and the vehicle scale have both been increased somewhat, so that everything is basically the same scale.  The soldiers are not giants anymore.  In terms of the simulated meters, the maps are not going to be that much larger than previous games -- these are not CCMT size maps.

Slitherine's forum and match-making service will be integrated into the multi-player screen.

The setting for Panthers in the Fog is 'new' in that Atomic did not make a game based on it, and neither have we.  It's set in the time frame of the Mortain Counter-Attack / Operation Luttich (early August 1944).

Steve

Platoon_Michael -> RE: Question? (5/10/2012 11:57:24 AM)

Sorry to repeat this but will this game support a import of WAR?

Steve McClaire -> RE: Question? (5/10/2012 7:32:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoon_Michael
Sorry to repeat this but will this game support a import of WAR?

It will be possible, but it would require a fair bit of work to account for the new features and such. Something like importing WaR into LSA.

Platoon_Michael -> RE: Question? (5/12/2012 3:25:39 AM)

If the game plays better than WAR I don't mind the work.

STIENER -> RE: Question? (5/19/2012 8:31:33 AM)

interesting

xe5 -> RE: Question? (5/25/2012 7:24:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
I hope it doesn't become uncontrollable or a click fest with that many units. Thats a worry for me to be honest.

For play balance vs the AI I'd love to see limits on the number of orders and changes to orders a player could issue.

Steve McClaire -> RE: Question? (5/25/2012 8:01:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: xe5

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

For play balance vs the AI I'd love to see limits on the number of orders and changes to orders a player could issue.

An interesting idea, but it would definitely have to be an option. We'd have to balance something like this against the frustration of having the soldiers not doing what the player wants. :)

xe5 -> RE: Question? (5/25/2012 8:27:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl von Clausewitz - On War

"War is very simple, but in War the simplest things become very difficult."

"Action in war is like movement in a resistant element. Just as the simplest and most natural of movements, walking, cannot easily be performed in water, so in war it is difficult for normal efforts to achieve even moderate results."

An option for a triple helping of frustration please.

Steve McClaire -> RE: Question? (5/26/2012 7:19:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: xe5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl von Clausewitz - On War

"War is very simple, but in War the simplest things become very difficult."

"Action in war is like movement in a resistant element. Just as the simplest and most natural of movements, walking, cannot easily be performed in water, so in war it is difficult for normal efforts to achieve even moderate results."

An option for a triple helping of frustration please.

Yes, you're a glutton for punishment, I know. :)

xe5 -> RE: Question? (5/27/2012 12:02:02 AM)

I know Im not alone among CC vets in hoping PitF will present a solo-play challenge ;)

Kanov -> RE: Question? (6/15/2012 9:41:43 PM)

I still don't understand something, with everything up to the same scale, are the internal algorithms adjusted for the larger distances? or just the data is adjusted for the larger distances?

For example a personal flamethrower in old CC has a 30 meters range, both in game and in the data.

Are the formulas adjusted in PITF internal logic to compensate for larger distances so the FT data max range in the data files is still at 30 meters? or is the flamethrower data set at 80 meters(just an example, random number) to look like 30 meters in game now that everything is bigger?

Steve McClaire -> RE: Question? (6/16/2012 9:56:58 PM)

The internal scale of the game engine has been adjusted, so it is not just a visual change in the size of the vehicle graphics.  Where 30m used to be 150 pixels on the screen, it is now 240 pixels on the screen.  The data file would still say 50m, in the example you gave.

Tejszd -> RE: Question? (6/16/2012 10:31:19 PM)

Atomic used;
Map 5 pixels per m
Vehicles 8 pixels per m (some mods use larger)
Soldiers 12 pixels per m

For PitF you have;
Map 8 pixels per m (240oixels for 30m as mentioned in the above post)
Vehicles = ? it looks/sounds like vehicles were made larger but to what?
Soldiers = ? any change?

If vehicles were made larger hopefully they now match the soldiers so that 2 out of the 3 scales match???

Steve McClaire -> RE: Question? (6/17/2012 6:56:45 PM)

The soldier sprites (10 pixels/meter)  are unchanged in those screenshots and probably will not be re-done, though this is still under discussion.  So the vehicles and terrain scale are now the same, while the soldiers are slightly overscale (but much closer than before).

Tejszd -> RE: Question? (6/25/2012 12:38:19 AM)

Will there be an option to adjust the scales used in the game engine so that previous mod data/graphics/maps can be used?

Steve McClaire -> RE: Question? (6/25/2012 5:36:11 AM)

Mods for earlier versions of CC will need a fair bit of re-working to use under PitF, for a variety of reasons.  It's a bit early to start discussing all the details of how this will work, but there probably will not be a way to change the game scale of pixels / meter.  Rather we'll re-size old-style graphics where necessary when we load them.  In many cases the game can handle loading either old-style files (like a map BGM) automatically but there may be some loss in quality.

Gary Childress -> RE: Question? (6/30/2012 5:35:20 AM)

In order to mod the game will traditional modding programs such as 5CC tool etc work or will there be new editing tools included? I think I asked this before but will the graphics files be in TGA format or will they be in a format easily modable with Paint Shop Pro or other graphics software? Or will we need a special converter to turn the graphics into a usable format?

Many thanks!

Tejszd -> RE: Question? (6/30/2012 10:21:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

Mods for earlier versions of CC will need a fair bit of re-working to use under PitF, for a variety of reasons.  It's a bit early to start discussing all the details of how this will work, but there probably will not be a way to change the game scale of pixels / meter.  Rather we'll re-size old-style graphics where necessary when we load them.  In many cases the game can handle loading either old-style files (like a map BGM) automatically but there may be some loss in quality.

Changing the image size I would think would not be too hard but changing the coding I'm not sure how that would work??? It might be best to just double the old maps image and coding so they are at 10 pixels per meter which would be right in between the vehicle and soldier pixel per m size.

Steve McClaire -> RE: Question? (7/2/2012 12:21:45 AM)

You do not need to change the map coding.  Map elements are measured in meters so this scale is not changing at all.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI