The Drift 1879 - AAR (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

spelk -> The Drift 1879 - AAR (4/23/2012 1:29:19 PM)

I've started up my AAR for the recently released Rorke's Drift game, The Drift 1879.

http://jlssg.com/the_drift.html

It's a tricky game to document, especially since there are so many turns of similar waves of Zulu attacks, but I've given it my best shot. There should be roughly another 4 parts to it coming..

The Drift 1879 AAR - Part 1
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=3634

The Drift 1879 AAR - Part 2
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=10168

I'll list the other parts, as I complete them..

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (4/23/2012 2:49:44 PM)

Please finish your AAR, I am getting into it....I want to know how this ends[:)]

ezz -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (4/23/2012 10:52:40 PM)

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

spelk -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (4/26/2012 11:23:27 PM)

Finally got Part 3 up! It seems to take ages to get all these screenshots uploaded, sorted and commented upon.

Enjoy.

http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=11174

E -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (4/27/2012 9:24:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spelk

As a second company of Zuluís hit the wall, I get the men to form up as tight as possible on the South Wall.

Brace yourselves boys!

Give them the cold steel!

Is it true that they don't like it up 'em?

spelk -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/15/2012 11:49:17 AM)

The Drift 1879 AAR - Part 4 is up!
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=14089

wodin -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/15/2012 5:13:42 PM)

One of the most exciting AAR's I've read!

ilovestrategy -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/15/2012 5:26:32 PM)

Thanks for posting screen shots. It went perfectly with the AAR. I really enjoyed reading it. It was like a page turner!

ezz -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/15/2012 7:37:07 PM)

Lot of casualties spelk. Lost almost half the British force.
Why are the casualties so high?
Game system?
Unlucky?

spelk -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/15/2012 11:22:42 PM)

Probably because I let the Zulu's get to the wall!

wodin -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/15/2012 11:40:22 PM)

Isn't that historical? Lots of British casualties? Spelk how well are you doing historically at the moment?

spelk -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 6:55:09 AM)

According to the account on Wikipedia the British losses were 19 men. I've currently lost 77. So I think compared with the historical outcome, I'm doing really badly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rorke's_Drift

Whether that's down to my play, or the game's logic I don't really know.

wodin -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 8:27:15 AM)

I always thought they where all finished off? Memory is going.

spelk -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 3:22:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

At the battle of Isandlwana, the day before, most of them were finished off. The over-enthusiastic younger Zulu's went on to attack Rorke's Drift further down the Buffalo River.

Or you might be getting it mixed up with The Alamo?

ilovestrategy -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 4:17:56 PM)

quote:

According to the account on Wikipedia the British losses were 19 men. I've currently lost 77. So I think compared with the historical outcome, I'm doing really badly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rorke's_Drift

Whether that's down to my play, or the game's logic I don't really know.

Dang, they had only 900 rounds left out of 20k? That's cutting it pretty close.

Lieste -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 4:19:08 PM)

Isandlwana was a disaster that should never have happened - a series of miscalculations and errors led to a significant portion of the field army being isolated and destroyed...

Rorke's drift on the other hand was wholly unremarkable, and one of many similar outpost defences throughout the British Empire. It was seized upon and made into history in order to have 'good news' for the papers at home.

Similar to how Dunkirk became a British 'victory' ~ glossing over the debacle of the previous weeks, and another equally important evacuation at Cherbourg later on.

amps63 -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 4:23:47 PM)

Is the entire game based on one scenario and battle?

wodin -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 4:41:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: amps63

Is the entire game based on one scenario and battle?

I believe so Rorkes Drift was just one battle. It's doesn't have a premium pricetag though.

wodin -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 4:43:12 PM)

quote:

quote:

At the battle of Isandlwana, the day before, most of them were finished off. The over-enthusiastic younger Zulu's went on to attack Rorke's Drift further down the Buffalo River.

Or you might be getting it mixed up with The Alamo?

Isandlwana was my mistake. Wasn't thinking of The Alamo.

Lieste -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 4:52:23 PM)

Don't suppose anyone played Ulundi on the ZX Spectrum? I spent ages playing that... trying to keep coherence to avoid being engaged in melee and losing strength and firepower that were needed to keep the zulu at bay...

Certain units were excellent and could hold their own, others needed to give ground steadily while falling back on better units. Cavalry and the mounted HQ could charge successfully, but didn't like being attacked in their turn.

spelk -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 9:51:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lieste
Rorke's drift on the other hand was wholly unremarkable, and one of many similar outpost defences throughout the British Empire. It was seized upon and made into history in order to have 'good news' for the papers at home.

I'm not sure I can agree that the defence was "wholly unremarkable". Essentially 140 men, held against nearly 4000. So many of those stationed at the Drift left before any action, because they anticipated another massacre. The defense was remarkable in how it was planned out, mealie bag perimeters and biscuit box retrenchment wall, bisecting the courtyard and providing a second line of defence.

The Zulu's were young and out to prove themselves, and I think they thought they would just roll over the Drift. They were wrong. Injured/wounded men were dragging themselves out of a burning building, whilst fighting. Something remarkable did take place there.

However, you are right that it was made more public BECAUSE of the debacle at Isandlwana. The defence at the drift was a symbol of Victorian spirit, stacked against the blunderings and mistakes made at Isandlwana. Many of the circumstances at the Little Sphinx were made with sound military reasons behind them, but their intel was wrong, their assumptions of the force they were dealing with was very much underestimated. 1300 men were lost at Isandlwana, so it was a catastrophe, but a mere 140 held their ground at the Drift. Chard and Bromhead, and all the other men there deserve credit. In my opinion.

wodin -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 10:02:46 PM)

Not sure how an action that received I think two VC's was unremarkable either. Yes propaganda comes into play but I've not heard of such stands against such odds and holding out before.

ezz -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 10:11:41 PM)

Agree. Don't know how anyone could say it was unremarkable.
Lord Chelmsford arrived the morning after fully expecting to find no survivors.
An outpost, an unfortified outpost even, was held by a company of men and junior officers. That was what was so remarkable.

ezz -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/16/2012 10:21:19 PM)

Eleven VCs were awarded.
Would have been 12 but there was no system for recognition for killed soldiers to receive the award then.

spelk -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/17/2012 8:37:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz
Eleven VCs were awarded.
Would have been 12 but there was no system for recognition for killed soldiers to receive the award then.

Indeed, 11 VC's is the most ever awarded in any conflict involving the British Army. Two were posthumously awarded to the bearers of the colours from Isandlwana many years later.

Whether you think it was an over-reaction by the British Government to award so many to the men at the Drift, is another matter, perhaps it was done to attempt to mask the failings at Isandlwana? I personally think it was well deserved considering the command and heroics on display that day by these men. But then I am rather biased here.

A lot of misconceptions about the battle has been down to the 1960's film Zulu, but ultimately that film raised the national conciousness about this desperate last stand, and I think it cemented the stand in the mind of modern day Britains. It certainly had a massive impact on me as a child.

Even now, in modern times with totally different ethical and moral principles in play, it's a fantastic story of bravery, silhouetted by the national tragedy at Isandlwana that preceded it.

spelk -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/17/2012 8:45:39 AM)

quote:

Yes propaganda comes into play but I've not heard of such stands against such odds and holding out before.

There are a number of stands against great odds around that time.

The Battle of Blood River comes instantly to my mind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blood_River

It was 400 Voortrekkers against 10,000+ Zulus.

Theres a stunning list of battles here, from 1801 through to 1900 (with many conflicts woven into the timeline) - a lot of the conflicts based around the Anglo-Zulu Wars are stuck in there, along with Crimea, American Civil War, and Napoleonics. A nice list to peruse, if you're interested in battles in the 1800's. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_1801%E2%80%931900

wodin -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/17/2012 9:01:27 AM)

Thanks Spelk. Oh by the way your blog has been mentioned and linked to by myself on my Facebook page.

My pre WW1 knowledge is very poor indeed. WW1 excellent, WW2 good but pre WW1 I have alot to learn.

spelk -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/17/2012 1:55:11 PM)

quote:

Thanks Spelk. Oh by the way your blog has been mentioned and linked to by myself on my Facebook page.

Thanks.

quote:

My pre WW1 knowledge is very poor indeed. WW1 excellent, WW2 good but pre WW1 I have alot to learn.

It's a very interesting period of war for me, the age of muskets and early rifles. A time before armoured vehicular warfare. It's impressive to think of the Military discipline needed to stand lines of men in front of one another and to stay put through volley fire and cannonading. With the flourish of sabre and cavalry charges, against musket and bayonet. All exciting stuff :)

ilovestrategy -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/17/2012 2:16:34 PM)

I thought it was fascinating that the rifle bores became dirty after every 20 shots, requiring them to clean their rifles during the fight.

Punk Reaper -> RE: The Drift 1879 - AAR (5/20/2012 2:59:37 PM)

Great AAR. Bought game and enjoying first round. Also board game Victoria Cross II covers the same battles well.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.246094E-02