Scale--any info (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series

osiris -> Scale--any info (3/20/2012 7:19:41 PM)

Hi

COH board game is 200m hexes and 15 min turns...all platoon based...is the PC version based on the same scale?,..anyone know and can confirm

rene

general_solomon -> RE: Scale--any info (3/26/2012 3:47:48 AM)

all i know is each hex is 40-50 meters. I am not sure about the time scale per turn. i am hoping its minutes and not hours.

junk2drive -> RE: Scale--any info (3/26/2012 4:05:08 AM)

osiris you have this version confused with something else. boardgamegeek has the game rules pdf. The first section describes units

quote:

1.1 Infantry Squads
Storms of Steel! includes units that represent infantry squads, tanks,
self propelled guns, armored personnel carriers (APCs), trucks,
airplanes, and many others.
The term infantry squads refers to unit counters with listed red
movement costs of 2APs or less, including German infantry, panzer
grenadiers, Soviet rifles, sub-machine guns (SMGs), machine guns
(MGs), mortars, anti-tank rifles, snipers, and engineers. Summaries of
all units are listed on page 19.

Later it states hex size

quote:

4.0 Terrain
The battle is played on a map made up of hexes representing
40-50 meters of ground.

KEYSTONE07950 -> RE: Scale--any info (3/26/2012 2:19:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: osiris

Hi

COH board game is 200m hexes and 15 min turns...all platoon based...is the PC version based on the same scale?,..anyone know and can confirm

rene

Sounds like the scale to Avalanche Press's Panzer Grenadier Series.

Lebatron -> RE: Scale--any info (3/26/2012 4:21:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: osiris

Hi

rene

No. Where did you get that info? Right in the rules it states that the hexes are 40-50 meters. Each infantry counter represents a team of about 8-10 men. Unless it's a mortar or MG team, then it's more like 3-4 men. Vehicle counters represent one vehicle.

osiris -> RE: Scale--any info (3/26/2012 5:31:23 PM)

YIKES!!!! I got the board games mixed up...

sooooooooooooooory [:(]

general_solomon -> RE: Scale--any info (3/26/2012 11:39:54 PM)

what about the turn time scale ???????? no one seems to know this info????

junk2drive -> RE: Scale--any info (3/27/2012 2:37:20 AM)

I read the above quoted manual and didn't see any time reference. I suspect that with the variable initiative, it can change. I tried to get an idea from the movement distance of a truck or tank but didn't find a chart.

wodin -> RE: Scale--any info (3/27/2012 9:01:57 AM)

Thankgod!

200m Hexes and 15 mins turns really put me off!

Lebatron -> RE: Scale--any info (3/27/2012 9:04:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: general_solomon

what about the turn time scale ???????? no one seems to know this info????

The turn time scale is weeks per turn. One can deduce this from actual historical tactical battles. It took a lot of time for the officer on site to write a detailed letter about the unit disposition of what's on the field and send it up the chain of command. This letter to his superiors asked things like should I have my AT gun fire at the Panzer IV, or the PzIII. And this had to be answered buy the Generals. This letter could take a week to get to high command, then answer would then take as long to get back. Sometimes high command would ask for more info before they could answer said question, then more delay would follow. Soldiers had to be very very patient during these tactical battles. If this is beginning to sound like a PBM game to you, that's exactly what it was like. It's were PBM games originated BTW. The primary issue of the day was just finding enough food for the troops to eat while waiting for the next move to be decided by high command. The crews of both the tanks and AT gun in my above example could go through weeks of rations before finding out whether or not they get to shot, or are the target of said shot. These tactical battles were very slow to resolve. All the minutiae of every little thing had to be decided by high command. After WWII, they had decided that war is hell and much to hard to resolve in a timely manner. This is the sole reason there has not been a WWIII.

Early April Fools:)

Actually, I would say each turn represents anywhere from 3-5 minutes.

general_solomon -> RE: Scale--any info (3/27/2012 10:33:44 PM)

You had me there [:D][:D] because I was thinking to myself weeks WEEKS weeks. Wtf wtf . As I was reading your explanations then I said maybe I will be open minded.

You got me bro. [:D]

2 to 3 mins is fabulous as they say in fashion industry.

I think we can put this thread to rest. The question has been answered. I have one before I go, will there be a map and unit editor?

i will take my answer off the air.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.898193E-02