What is Next for this Game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

GARY L -> What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 1:46:52 PM)

Hi

Is there going to be a War In the Pacific 2?

USS America -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 1:54:42 PM)

One day, there probably will be something along those lines. It will probably be a long time from now, as there is nothing planned by anyone capable of producing it that I am aware of.

jeffk3510 -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 2:07:42 PM)

I agree with you Mike. If anything.. and it would be HUGE.. I would play the entire WW2 with this current game design.. [:)]

USS America -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 3:18:35 PM)

Nah, Jeff, the next version will need a completely new UI, from the ground up. Expanding the scope with the current engine would take tooooooo long to get anything done.

DOCUP -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 3:23:40 PM)

I look forward to a new WITP AE or a complete WW 2 game.  I'd really like a cmoplete WW 2 game.

Terminus -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 3:33:15 PM)

No, you only think you'd like it. If you consider it properly, you realize that it would be unplayable.

witpqs -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 3:39:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

No, you only think you'd like it. If you consider it properly, you realize that it would be unplayable.

Yup.

What's next for this game? Play it!

Commander Stormwolf -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 3:42:47 PM)

A big feature of the next game would be the feature of real-time

The entire war in real time, 1 hour in the game is 1 hour of time passed.

Players give orders and battles happen on the fly..

would be pretty funny, players planning CV battles to co-incide with the opponents'
sleeping hours [:D]

If technology is advanced sufficiently, perhaps even 3D battles
and a "take the seat" mode for AC like in Battle of Britain II
..or at least a tac-mode like carrier strike

USS America -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 3:46:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Stormwolf

A big feature of the next game would be the feature of real-time

The entire war in real time, 1 hour in the game is 1 hour of time passed.

Players give orders and battles happen on the fly..

would be pretty funny, players planning CV battles to co-incide with the opponents'
sleeping hours [:D]

If technology is advanced sufficiently, perhaps even 3D battles
and a "take the seat" mode for AC like in Battle of Britain II
..or at least a tac-mode like carrier strike

I won't buy that game.

Terminus -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 4:13:17 PM)

See my previous post, regarding non-playability.

Canoerebel -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 4:22:56 PM)

There will be a AE 2 - or something like it - even if it's by another name and totally different people. 

People enjoy the Pacific Theater.  Eventually, somebody's going to come along who enjoys this theater, enjoys programming, appreciates challenges, and likes accomplishing something that others enjoy.  At that point, we'll have a new Pacific game.  It might not be as good as what we have, or perhaps we'll be lucky and it will find ways to make improvements. 

But for now, I'm very, very glad for what we have.  :)

Commander Stormwolf -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 4:28:38 PM)

massive real time multiplayer [;)]

(either whole war, or theater-specific like AE)

Chickenboy -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 4:57:27 PM)

quote:

I won't buy (or play) that game. Now that I think about it, I can't think of any MMORPGs that are worthwhile for any real duration for this (AE) demographic.

dorjun driver -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 4:59:16 PM)

Oh, oh, oh! And be able to drop into the battle ala Battle of Britain: Wings of Victory!

Commander Stormwolf -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 5:07:39 PM)

As I said.. pilot mode like Battle of Britain II [;)]

... but trust when i say this.. the first company to make an MMO wargame
with AE's level of detail will 10x its stock price

*i can imagine lots of webcam arguments between the IJA and IJN player* [:D]

dorjun driver -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 5:12:11 PM)

My speed reading skills suck. Still. Comprehension's not so hot either.

mg62 -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 5:28:14 PM)

A long time ago there was a tongue in cheek article in the Avalon Hill General about a board game covering the entire war in Europe. As I recall it was intriguing at the same time hard to imagine.

nashvillen -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 6:44:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Yup.

What's next for this game? Play it!

I am with witpqs, play it! It takes time to learn and play, enjoy it!

House Stark -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 11:25:11 PM)

quote:

It would probably be hard to make a full WW2 game like this playable, but I imagine that it would be possible with enough resources and the right vision. Though I'm not sure how yet.

Commander Stormwolf -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 11:39:25 PM)

In its current form it would be practically unplayable for a full ww2 map

--> better to make a real-time WITP 2 multiplayer with some tactical control options

Terminus -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/9/2012 11:42:27 PM)

Where you could control "the ultimate warship"?[8|] It's called Battlestations Pacific, and it blows elephants for crack money.

Ranger5355 -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/10/2012 12:21:47 AM)

One of us has to hit the lottery and finance a game that would cost more than it returns in sales. I hereby pledge my future windfall[sm=00000436.gif]

Blackhorse -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/10/2012 12:44:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mg62

A long time ago there was a tongue in cheek article in the Avalon Hill General about a board game covering the entire war in Europe. As I recall it was intriguing at the same time hard to imagine.

As I recall, the game was called "It", with an individual counter for each person who fought in WWII. The article described a German player, during his turn, mobilizing a parachute reservist, and rolling the dice to see if he had an accident on the way to the airfield. It also joked that Goering had the lowest "economic efficiency" rating of any counter in the game.

Odd that I can recall this from circa 1970, but I don't remember where I put my car keys yesterday.

Dili -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/10/2012 1:10:45 AM)

I don't think it will be unplayable if it is done right. If a player can control at corps / army level there aren't many things to control even if there are regiments. For example if a player can map the dispositions of a Corps in defensive, attack, travel etc., retreat with a certain level of losses, and then the computer more or less obeys that rules based on commander/ unit quality.

Of course this needs an AI able at that level something there never appeared in a wargame. And a good interface, all more or less clumsy where orders can be copied from unit to unit or give the same to a bunch of selected units.
Say you give 1st Corps an order go to Falaise(one week travel) and to adopt a defensive posture, with a front of 10km. The computer already knows how the unit goes there and how subunits should be deployed and in a week there is no need to touch it again. A sort of Photoshop actions for Wargames.

Commander Stormwolf -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/10/2012 1:36:24 AM)

quote:

It's called Battlestations Pacific, and it blows elephants for crack money.

That is something that can be agreed -->

Common difficulty with mainstream games = hollow and innacurate

the purpose of the thread is how can the concept of a stratgic sim be improved

is has been done before --> Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory
combines a flight sim like IL-2 sturmovik and a board game like avalon hill's Achtung Spitfire
and it does this brilliantly (massive scale of aerial battles is amazing [:)])

a game is like a sculpture, every time pieces are shaved and it turns from stone into a human statue

let us remember that 20 years ago, there were 3 games to play

1) Pacific War (strategic level)
2) Carrier Strike (operational level)
3) Aces of the Pacific (tactical level)

as a strategic game, AE is an evolution and significant progress has been made since PacWar

for changing AE itself, i am convinced of a few small change

1) separate duralumin and steel instead of HI points
2) change the gun accuracy system

for the next part of the sculpture:

- AE running in real time
- online multiplayer so different players
each control different front (make 3vs3 pbem a lot easier)

... many people here live on this website,
so they may as well live with the game running in the back ground [;)]

.. and we must add thanks to those who made this world possible

witpqs -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/10/2012 1:42:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

One of us has to hit the lottery and finance a game that would cost more than it returns in sales. I hereby pledge my future windfall[sm=00000436.gif]

Me too - I pledge Ranger5355's future windfall!

[:D]

Chickenboy -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/10/2012 2:11:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

Me too - I pledge Ranger5355's future windfall!

[:D]

I concur with my Argletonian colleague. After the international fly-in kegger that he sponsors, I believe that Ranger5355's fortune could be put to good use in this manner.

LST Express -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/10/2012 4:33:09 AM)

The only game I ever played longer than this one was amateur baseball and that took up 17 years of my youth. Even if I quit playing this game today it will be second on my list and I'm not quitting today. [:D]

Empire101 -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/10/2012 11:24:27 AM)

quote:

for the next part of the sculpture:

- AE running in real time
- online multiplayer so different players
each control different front (make 3vs3 pbem a lot easier)

I for one would not buy this type of game, it would be virtually impossible to play ( imagine a faint heart dropping out because he lost his 'favourite' ship/squadron/unit. Just trying to sort out passwords would be a nightmare in itself if there was more than two players involved. ).

A game that incorporates the scope of WWII is under development now, although goodness knows when it will be ready. World in Flames is immensely playable by two players in its boardgame form, so with many of the tiresome logistical tasks done by the computer, it would be even more playable.

War in the Pacific AE was a daunting task to be taken on by any developer, so a big HUZZAH!! to Matrix, and all involved in producing and maintaining this marvellous game!!![sm=character0272.gif]

Knavey -> RE: What is Next for this Game (3/10/2012 2:36:17 PM)

quote:

Its out there...used to be called World War 2 online...now its Battleground Europe. Not a bad game...but like most other MM online games, they crashed on release and never got ahead of the curve. They still have some pretty good battles, learning curve is not very steep and from time to time I do go back and play.

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/ is a link to their forums. At some time they were associated with Matrix but I am not sure how.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.515625E-02