Cheating... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Footslogger -> Cheating... (2/21/2012 12:45:49 AM)

I've never played a PBEM before. Can the opposing player somehow cheat? Not that I would want to know how to.[:D]

wdolson -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 12:59:54 AM)

In the design of AE, everything we could think of that could be done to cheat were either closed off or made much more difficult to do. However, it's like locks on your house. The best locks in the world aren't going to keep out someone who knows what they are doing and is determined to get in.

Probably the only easy way to cheat now is to go over the forum and read your opponent's questions posted to the forum.

It's always possible someone has worked out some kind of cheat we don't know about.

In the end, you need to trust you opponent. You probably don't want to play with someone who is going to cheat anyway.

Bill

zuluhour -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 1:00:17 AM)

Having only been a "member" for a year, I can say I have not heard of it. IMHO these are some great people to game with. Case closed.

DOCUP -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 4:43:40 AM)

I have trained sneaky squirrels to live in the trees outside my opponents house and video his computer movements.    Got to love the sneaky squirrels.

LoBaron -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 5:12:19 AM)

Never heard of cheating on a grand scale, the only thing that comes to mind is to - purposely - read the opponentīs
AAR and benefit from the content. Happened for sure some time in the long gone past, and is viewed by the community as an
extremely dishonorable thing to do.

koniu -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 5:36:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

I have trained sneaky squirrels to live in the trees outside my opponents house and video his computer movements.    Got to love the sneaky squirrels.

That why there is so many those little bastard around my house.
I buying BB gun

Roger Neilson II -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 6:09:13 AM)

The nearest I've come to witnessing 'cheating' is the reading 'alleged' of the other side's AAR either by the opponent, or by someone who then passed information across having got it fron an AAR. Its very rare and if you don't do an AAR then that security is not breachable.

Some opponents are often accused of 'gamey' tactics - if you are playing a human they think differently to a scripted AI (no matter how good). One man's 'gamey' tactic is another's 'brilliant move' so its all in the perception.

I have been playing my opponents for years.... this is a long term commitments get a feel for any potential opponent, get a sense of what their philosophy about the game is, and discuss in advance any possible issues. If you hit a problem during the game then discuss it......

Pick your opponent as a long term friend and partner in a massively enjoyable adventure.

Roger

LoBaron -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 6:17:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

Pick your opponent as a long term friend and partner in a massively enjoyable adventure.

Roger

This.

freeboy -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 6:38:10 AM)

the game is solid... can you imagine playing thousands of turns and finding out your oponent cheated? Best defense againt a bad pbem game... be a good pbem friend...

Mike Solli -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 10:48:13 AM)

quote:

Hey! [:D]

Roger Neilson II -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 11:17:00 AM)

Selecting an opponent is much like selecting a partner for life.... its not about a brief fling......

Roger

Miller -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 12:16:47 PM)

quote:

Selecting an opponent is much like selecting a partner for life.... its not about a brief fling......

Roger

Plenty of AE games will last longer than marriages!

castor troy -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 12:53:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

quote:

Roger

yeah, my game against 1eyedjacks is supposed to go for 25 years real time the speed we move, much longer than the usual marriage. But I will probably have won the war in mid 42 when I have crushed the IJN trying to take Pearl Harbour... [:D]

crsutton -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 3:46:02 PM)

I have been on this forum since UV came out. And, have heard virtually nothing about cheating, so where there is no smoke I doubt there is fire. It is a difficult game to cheat at and this seems to be a virtuous lot. A lot of bickering, boasting, slamming, whining and one upmanship but not cheating..[;)] This is not Call of Duty here..

DOCUP -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 4:19:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

quote:

That why there is so many those little bastard around my house.
I buying BB gun

I have already thought of this and I have teams in place to counter you. Beware

[image]local://upfiles/35564/F072C54F978C49308BEDC02B2F43DEFA.jpg[/image]

JocMeister -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 4:29:03 PM)

I donīt think many here play to "win" but rather for the enjoyment. Therefore I doubt there is any cheating going on.

geofflambert -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 8:29:24 PM)

Just in case though, I always deploy the cone of silence when I do my AAR.

[image]local://upfiles/37002/501F4D0BAF7E402DBCFDD453FDAEA799.jpg[/image]

Alfred -> RE: Cheating... (2/21/2012 9:18:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

quote:

Roger

yeah, my game against 1eyedjacks is supposed to go for 25 years real time the speed we move, much longer than the usual marriage. But I will probably have won the war in mid 42 when I have crushed the IJN trying to take Pearl Harbour... [:D]

OK, so what is in the pre-nup?[:D]

Alfred

Blackhorse -> RE: Cheating... (2/22/2012 2:00:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

Pre-Nuptial Agreement

1. The husband may do no Strategic Bombing before 1944

2. The wife may only make 1 port attack on turn 1.

3. Both spouses are limited to 1 squadron on night attack per turn

etc . . .

geofflambert -> RE: Cheating... (2/22/2012 2:13:49 AM)

Blackhorse, be you a lawyer? This appears to be for a mixed marriage. Most experts strongly advise against that, I mean, can you imagine if a Gorn were to marry a Human?

[image]local://upfiles/37002/809A30D3CCCB4C16845539D88D3E23C9.jpg[/image]

jmalter -> RE: Cheating... (2/22/2012 3:52:16 AM)

well even the most ill-advised marriage should be able to survive a few instances of styrofoam-block tossing...

geofflambert -> RE: Cheating... (2/22/2012 4:14:09 AM)

jmalter, I see you are familiar with my thespian achievements. The Crown Heads of Europe also appreciate my finer talents. Might you be the lost Dauphin?

jmalter -> RE: Cheating... (2/22/2012 4:30:40 AM)

lost Dauphin? prob'ly not. but i used to get drunk w/ a guy who claimed to be a French duke - on learning that my surname came from Alsace, he decided i was an 'old family retainer' - whether as castellan or stable-boy did not appear.

wdolson -> RE: Cheating... (2/22/2012 4:49:13 AM)

quote:

Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

Pre-Nuptial Agreement

etc . . .

And who gets the Royal Navy in the event of divorce?

Bill

vettim89 -> RE: Cheating... (2/22/2012 5:01:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

Pre-Nuptial Agreement

etc . . .

And who gets the Royal Navy in the event of divorce?

Bill

Churchill. He gets the best parts of it back in mid 1942 anyway

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.222656E-02