What annoys you in WITE? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

fbs -> What annoys you in WITE? (2/18/2012 7:59:44 PM)

Of course we all love WITE. I was first day buyer and will be again for the West, I recommend the game and don't repent buying it.

But there are some things that annoy the hell out of me, so I thought of starting this thread to see what are regular annoyances to all, and hope these might be removed someday.

These are mine:

(a) Limit of 3 units, whatever the unit size. So a Corps can go to a hex if there are 2 Corps there, but can't go if there are 3 regiments. It makes absolutely no sense!

(b) Administrative points used for unrelated things. Taking a a PVO AA unit out from a city costs the same a creating 5 divisions. It doesn't make sense!

(c) I can't understand how the system can automatically transfer 500 support units between HQs with no administrative points, but it may/or may not cost me to transfer 1 manually. Either both cost, or none should cost.

(d) Can't set support levels per support type. I tell Stalin I need 6 artillery battalions, he sends me instead 6 railrod repair guys. Can't understand how anyone wins wars if they ask for bullets and get popsicles instead.

(e) No option for daily or half-week turns. The game could be so much better on smaller scenarios if they had option of turn length. Just heartbreaking.

(f) Can't choose my own music. My ears are bleeding with the hmmmm-ho-ho-hmmmmmmmmm already. Please let me write a few song filenames in some INI file and have the game play them. Or see how much it takes to license the theme of "Hunt for Red October" and add that to cost of game - it would be epic. Also license "Death to my Enemies" from the classical orchestral composer 50-Cent, just in case the Americans are added someday to the game.

How about you? What wouldn't you give 250 administrative points to get rid of?

Flaviusx -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/18/2012 8:01:49 PM)

The attrition shuffle. It drives me mad.

Joel Billings -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/18/2012 8:17:11 PM)

As for music, check out the last few lines of the WITESoundFXConfig.txt file. This can be altered to access different music. It's in the \dat directory. Then add the music to the \dat\sound directory.

elmo3 -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/18/2012 8:35:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs

...How about you? What wouldn't you give 250 administrative points to get rid of?

Pointless threads like this. There are not going to be major changes to the game at this point. That has been clearly stated more than once here. So encouraging others to post what they "hate" about the game serves no purpose other than to bash the game.

chuckles -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/18/2012 8:35:38 PM)

Get that manual up to date.

fbs -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/18/2012 9:57:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Pointless threads like this. There are not going to be major changes to the game at this point. That has been clearly stated more than once here. So encouraging others to post what they "hate" about the game serves no purpose other than to bash the game.

One can always hope for the West version...

Or the General Edition version...

As for no major changes, you're probably right, but we can always hope for some little tweaking here and there - like letting me put my 3 corps on top of a fort.

PS: By the way, why is it that we must assume there will be no improvements in WITE after launch? WITP for example got many amazing tweaks/features added after launch; TOAW III is another one that got several rule changes too.

jazman -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/18/2012 10:15:01 PM)

quote:

quote:

...How about you? What wouldn't you give 250 administrative points to get rid of?

Oh no, he's committed a Thoughtcrime by not loving it without criticism!

I think you're taking the immersion with this game a bit too far.

AFV -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 2:27:58 AM)

quote:

quote:

This is quite disappointing coming from a "Matrix Legion of Merit" poster. I find it insulting, juvenile, and inappropriate.

AFV -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 2:39:57 AM)

What I hate (well thats a strong word but) is that encircled Soviet units surrender so easily.

fbs -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 3:26:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFV

What I hate (well thats a strong word but) is that encircled Soviet units surrender so easily.

Fair point; changed subject from "What you hate" to "What annoys you". After all, it's not like I'm going to stop playing WITE for any of my annoyances, but they certainly irritate me.

Shupov -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 3:54:22 AM)

WitE is a great game and far superior to its predecessor War in Russia. My only letdown is with the air war, which was much more significant (and fun!) in WiR. Interdictions in WiR were many times as powerful than they are in WitE, and an expert player had to master that aspect of the game. Maybe the "truth" is somewhere in between, but where?

I hope WitW takes air power more seriously and properly models the Allies air superiority and strategic bombing. Hopefully any improvements will be brought back over to WitE!

Tarhunnas -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 6:25:59 AM)

I love the game but wish there had been a better supply system! It annoys me as a computer simulation should have been eminently suited for all the boring little supply calculations that a player of a boardgame would never stand doing, so to me it feels like a wasted opportunity.

larryfulkerson -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 11:55:37 AM)

When you're moving planes among the various air bases, choosing "air Transfer mode" turns off the cursor pop-up that tells you what's in the hex under the cursor. You have no idea what the name of the air base is or how many planes are based there as you move the cursor over air base after air base. You almost have to make notes with pencil and paper to tell where to move what air group from and to. I'm pretty sure it could be made a lot more user friendly so that you could choose which air group to move and then have the pop-up tell you the name of the air base and how many of what kind of planes are based there. I hesitate to use air transfer mode very often because of this.

elmo3 -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 12:06:32 PM)

quote:

...PS: By the way, why is it that we must assume there will be no improvements in WITE after launch? WITP for example got many amazing tweaks/features added after launch; TOAW III is another one that got several rule changes too.

No idea what you are talking about in the above?! There have been a ton of improvements to the game since it launched over a year ago. Some people in the forum have actually been complaining about the frequency of improvements! There will continue to be bug fixes going forward, but major changes (like changing stacking limits) are just not going to happen.

At least you took the "hate" out of the subject. [;)]

elmo3 -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 12:15:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

I love the game but wish there had been a better supply system! It annoys me as a computer simulation should have been eminently suited for all the boring little supply calculations that a player of a boardgame would never stand doing, so to me it feels like a wasted opportunity.

There are a lot of boring calculations that go on in the background. Just ask Pavel! And yes the supply system is still abstract compared to what you will most likely see in WitW. But it falls under the category of something that is not going to change significantly at this point.

AFV -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 12:36:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL:  elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL:  fbs

Pointless threads like this.  There are not going to be major changes to the game at this point.  That has been clearly stated more than once here.  So encouraging others to post what they "hate" about the game serves no purpose other than to bash the game.

quote:

ORIGINAL:  elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL:  fbs

...PS: By the way, why is it that we must assume there will be no improvements in WITE after launch? WITP for example got many amazing tweaks/features added after launch; TOAW III is another one that got several rule changes too.

No idea what you are talking about in the above?!  There have been a ton of improvements to the game since it launched over a year ago.  Some people in the forum have actually been complaining about the frequency of improvements!  There will continue to be bug fixes going forward, but major changes (like changing stacking limits) are just not going to happen.
At least you took the "hate" out of the subject.  [;)]

After reading your original post, do you really stick with you have no idea what he was talking about? He was responding to someone who said "There are not going to be major changes to the game at this point." and point blank said his thread was pointless. Oh wait that someone was YOU. It was clear to me his point was not to bash the game. It was also clear to me you were disrepectful- especially to someone who was a first day buyer, loves the game, and intends to buy WITW. He belongs to what you call your customer base. Might want to keep that in mind.

elmo3 -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 2:16:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AFV

...He belongs to what you call your customer base. Might want to keep that in mind.

I am a volunteer tester who has no customer base. My opinions are my own and don't reflect the opinions of Matrix, 2by3, or anyone else. Might want to keep that in mind and get back on topic, no matter how pointless I think it is.

Djouk -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 2:24:26 PM)

Fbs i agree with all points you re describing (except music : i play without it).

Pelton -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 2:42:23 PM)

Morale being based on a time line and not in game results. the game Its self is centered around morale of which one side has no real control over, it is forsed down over time because of soft and hard caps.

Historically The Eastern Front was a struggle, but wite this more like dancing.

1941 russian run east.
1941/1942 winter Germans run west
1942 Russians have the option of with drawing east.
1943 - 1945 German is a punching bag all things being equal as the ratio for winning battles is higher then the ratio for lossing them defending in most cases..

A simple fix to the VP system would make the game much much more fun. This has been talked about in thread after thread from launch to present. I also do not think it requires any major over hauls and there is more then one way to do it.

As Tarhunnas has stated "there seems to be no reason to fight"

Thats why there is so little at times.

WitE is by far the best eastern front game to date, but it could be so much better.

quote:

Tarhunnas

"so to me it feels like a wasted opportunity."

Pelton

gradenko_2000 -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 2:46:51 PM)

quote:

PS: By the way, why is it that we must assume there will be no improvements in WITE after launch? WITP for example got many amazing tweaks/features added after launch; TOAW III is another one that got several rule changes too.

Not that I'm trying to drag down your thread or anything, but the key difference is that TOAW 3's devs aren't doing any additional projects, and then WITP: Admiral's Edition was done by a completely different dev team, which amounts to about the same thing.

2by3 is already working on WITW, which means they don't have as much bandwidth (note: not the same as no bandwidth) to work on WITE's "issues", especially those that are specific to WITE. We're still getting incremental changes, and any large changes brought along by WITW's development will probably be back-ported into WITE once this second game in the series is released.

Offworlder -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 7:44:07 PM)

... or else enjoy all the benefits when it is decided to launch War in Europe encompassing Europe and N Africa, from the Atlantic to the Urals! [:)]

Sorry just woke up.......[:'(]

Q-Ball -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 9:25:59 PM)

I like it overall for sure, if I have one gripe other than supply system, it's Ice Levels. The Weather effects are way too Icy. You can have 3 straight weeks of Mud, and rivers will still be frozen solid.

fbs -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 9:54:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

As for music, check out the last few lines of the WITESoundFXConfig.txt file. This can be altered to access different music. It's in the \dat directory. Then add the music to the \dat\sound directory.

Thank you, Joel!

Now I have WITE playing the russian anthem, rock version - very nice! [:D]

DorianGray -> RE: What do you hate in WITE? (2/19/2012 11:32:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

The attrition shuffle. It drives me mad.

Agreed 100%.

add to it

1. Inability to create German Units
2. Inability to switch out element equipments ( of like type )
3. Air-War mechanics seem mostly obscurred or hidden from the public
4. No real incentive for SU to stand-fast in 1941. I think the SU production system currently allows loss of vast 1941 territory with neglible impact on SU war production
5. Would like ability to set a filter on turn event log messages to incease or decrease the detail of turn events. ( would like to know more about what is going on behind the scenes to help make better in-game decisions )
6. Would like more information on how element and a/c unit characteristics are used in the WiTE combat system
7. Would like more control over the production system.
8. Would like more information on when Leader stats are checked and their impact on the game system.

(just off the top of my head without reviewing what everybody else posted....)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI