Great war series (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

smokindave34 -> Great war series (2/14/2012 11:50:02 PM)

I just stumbled on this series of videos regarding the war in the east. I watched the five videos concerning operation Bagration and found them to be well done (they are in Russian so you'll have to hit closed caption for the subtitles).

There also appears to be related series concerning the battle for Moscow, Kursk, and Ukraine.....

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZq2t8fhmqY

Flaviusx -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 2:48:54 AM)

Thanks for this link, I enjoyed watching this.

smokindave34 -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 3:03:52 AM)

Your welcome. If your a fan of Rokossovsky you certainly would have liked the series on Bagration!

Flaviusx -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 3:12:41 AM)

He is my favorite. [:)]

Apollo11 -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 7:57:48 AM)

Hi all,

This is "Velikaya Voina" from 2010 - first shown on Russian TV!

It was later shown on "History Channel" with English commentary and some English captions (but maps stayed Russian)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 8:00:42 AM)

Hi all,

Here is link for info for "Military History" / "History Channel":

http://www.militaryhistory.co.uk/shows/soviet-storm--world-war-ii-in-the-east/about.html

Leo "Apollo11"

Apollo11 -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 8:03:10 AM)

Hi all,

Some more...

http://www.militaryhistory.co.uk/shows/soviet-storm--world-war-ii-in-the-east/episode-guide.html#bottomOfHeader

Leo "Apollo11"

timmyab -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 9:44:43 AM)

Interesting documentary, shame about the translation.Done with Google I would think.

sath -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 1:14:56 PM)

These seem to have a Russia bias understandably

Flaviusx -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 2:11:52 PM)

Leo, this may sound goofy, but I actually prefer seeing it with subtitles and in the original Russian.

sath -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 2:34:22 PM)

The one on barbarossa says that Stalin had ordered essentially mobilization prior to the war and that they were ready but the Germans attacked to soon for full mobilization to take place and it also defend Pavlo to a fair extent.

Flaviusx -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 2:43:16 PM)

Yes, the one on Barbarossa is rather too forgiving of Stalin. The intel was there. Stalin simply ignored it. He was convinced everything was provocation and desperately wished to avoid war in 1941. There is too much soft peddling of Stalin going on in Russia nowadays, it is regrettable. He was a monster who made criminal errors and the Russian people paid for those errors in blood. They saved him, not the other way around.

It also got a number of other details wrong.

The rest of the series was much better.

Apollo11 -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 3:16:46 PM)

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Leo, this may sound goofy, but I actually prefer seeing it with subtitles and in the original Russian.

I originally watched it in Russian (without subtitles [;)]) on DVD and only afterwards the English version on "History Channel"...

Leo "Apollo11"

Helpless -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 4:25:36 PM)

quote:

The intel was there. Stalin simply ignored it.

Not true. The movie in the subject was describing what kind of intel there was (once I was posting the details)... and Barbarossa is very good series.

Flaviusx -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 4:32:46 PM)

Pavel, respectfully, Stalin had much more information that the movie suggests. The "analytical failures" alluded to in the movie consisted mainly of things like Golikov labeling things as either reliable or unreliable intelligence based on the desires of his master. That is to say, he told Stalin what Stalin wanted to hear. There was no shortage of warnings from abroad, either, including by the USA and Britain. These too were labeled "provocations."

All the sources that were ignored or labeled unreliable prior to the war became extremely reliable after it started.

Helpless -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 4:35:46 PM)

Flavio, you are trying to explain complex problem with very easy approach. In fact intel was much worse then it is described in the movie. There are plenty of info available on this matter.. with no subtitles.

Flaviusx -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 4:39:31 PM)

I've read everything available in English, Pavel, as you well know. I'm going straight by Erickson here as a matter of fact.

Q-Ball -> RE: Great war series (2/15/2012 6:41:58 PM)

Those are good!

I also recommend on You Tube "War of the Century" for those who haven't seen it. It's more first-person, but alot of interesting movies, pictures, and interviews

MusT1 -> RE: Great war series (2/12/2013 8:40:18 PM)

U can watch it here in english:
1 series youtube.com/watch?v=0A6UWkK2U4s Operation Barbarossa, others in playlist. Only 8 series.
Soviet Storm is 18 series, 10 added in 2 years in russian, cant find it in english.
List:
Operation Barbarossa (1 series)
The Battle of Moscow (2 series)
The Siege of Leningrad (3 series)
Stalingrad (4 series)
The Battle of Kursk (5 series)
Operation Bagration (6 series)
The Liberation of Ukraine (7series)
The Battle of Berlin (8 series)

sillyflower -> RE: Great war series (2/13/2013 8:34:57 AM)

The Military History channel here have the series on at the moment

randallw -> RE: Great war series (2/13/2013 8:38:43 AM)

The book I own, by Fugate and Dvoretsky, gives the opinion that Stalin deliberately delayed mobilization, to let Hitler believe that Stalin had no idea what was up.

MusT1 -> RE: Great war series (2/13/2013 9:47:49 AM)

Its true, due to fact that Soviet Union didnt know about date of invasion. If it were known that it would happen so soon, mobilization have been much earlier.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI