Desert Island Books (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

warspite1 -> Desert Island Books (1/29/2012 9:49:44 PM)

Okay, if you were to be cast away on a desert island for the rest of your life, which 5 war and (general history books) would you take with you. These will be the only 5 books you will ever read again. Only single books - no volumes allowed. To make this interesting and perhaps to act as a stimulus for people to buy books of interest, please state why you would take each book.

Thank-you.

P.S Steiner and Orm you are banned from this thread unless you promise not to mention Peanut Brittle (in any and all its forms).

Orm -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/29/2012 9:58:21 PM)

This is a difficult one. The books that comes to mind that I like might be to short for this purpose. Books that take long to read, fun, educational and makes you think are rare.

I think I would bring at least one reference book like The Oxford Companion to World War II. I have to ponder some on what four more books to bring.

P.S See! I didn't mention that substance. And I didn't even promise. Maybe my ban can be lifted now? [;)]

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/29/2012 9:58:25 PM)

1. First book that I would take would have to be Shattered Sword. It has been written about so much on this forum so not much new to say; quite simply I wish all books were written in this style; factual yet not dry, even when the authors write about subjects that should be less than fun to read up on. Outstanding.

parusski -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/29/2012 10:14:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Okay, if you were to be cast away on a desert island for the rest of your life, which 5 war and (general history books) would you take with you. These will be the only 5 books you will ever read again. Only single books - no volumes allowed. To make this interesting and perhaps to act as a stimulus for people to buy books of interest, please state why you would take each book.

Thank-you.

P.S Steiner and Orm you are banned from this thread unless you promise not to mention Peanut Brittle (in any and all its forms).

quote:

Shattered Sword

I promise not to never not mention said substance. XD490!

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/29/2012 11:18:14 PM)

1. Lee's Lieutenants(3 volumes)-one of the main areas of my interest.
2. The Pacific War-Another area of interest.
3. The Rise and Fall of the Roman empire(2 or 3 volumes can't remember)-area of interest.

Only 3 for me....but maybe since I am stuck on a Island, I could use the history above and build my OWN wargame....after all I would have nothing but time......well except for water,food. shelter.[:)]

OH yea....The Bible(actually that would be first on my list and it has history).

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/29/2012 11:22:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

3. The Rise and Fall of the Roman empire(2 or 3 volumes can't remember)-area of interest.

Only 3 for me....but maybe since I am stuck on a Island, I could use the history above and build my OWN wargame....after all I would have nothing but time......well except for water,food. shelter.[:)]
Warspite1

Mmmm I jumped in with Shattered Sword - for all good reasons - but then realised I had set a limitation of just 5 books. The Pacific War (Toland) is a quality book. I may have to re-think this whole idea - 5 is just too small a number...[:(][&:][8|]

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/29/2012 11:24:24 PM)

On the island I could loan you mine-Pacific War and I could read your Shattered Sword. We would share.[;)][:D]
quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Mmmm I jumped in with Shattered Sword - for all good reasons - but then realised I had set a limitation of just 5 books. The Pacific War (Toland) is a quality book. I may have to re-think this whole idea - 5 is just too small a number...[:(][&:][8|]

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/29/2012 11:25:54 PM)

quote:

On the island I could loan you mine-Pacific War and I could read your Shattered Sword. We would share.[;)][:D]
quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

A cunning plan - like it [:)]

parusski -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/29/2012 11:37:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, 5 is too small a number. Maybe 25 books. And you should also include: type computer, favorite 5 games, type of furniture and type of snack food([:D]
[8D][8|])!

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/30/2012 9:20:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Yes, 5 is too small a number. Maybe 25 books. And you should also include: type computer, favorite 5 games, type of furniture and type of snack food([:D]
[8D][8|])!
Warspite1

On reflection 10 books should be the number. Same rules as before but with a doubling of the count. There is space for Shattered Sword and Tolland's Pacific War now.

Orm -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/30/2012 9:41:14 PM)

This would be my initial list. I sneaked in a historical novel.

1) The Oxford Companion to World War II
2 and 3) The Rise and Fall of the Roman empire in two volumes
4) Gulag - A History by Anne Applebaum
5) Waterloo by Michael Tamelander
6) The Pillars of Earth by Ken Follet
7, 8 and 9) Slavery - the world history of unfreedom by Dick Harrison in three volumes
10) The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman

Edit: I might miss out on Shattered Sword and Tolland's Pacific War but with any luck I run into someone who has them...

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/30/2012 10:21:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

7, 8 and 9) Slavery - the world history of unfreedom by Dick Harrison in three volumes

Edit: I might miss out on Shattered Sword and Tolland's Pacific War but with any luck I run into someone who has them...
Warspite1

Thanks Orm - when you get a chance, fancy letting me know briefly why you have chosen those?

parusski -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/30/2012 10:48:41 PM)

quote:

I am only going to list one book at the moment. What a coincidence the I too would include The Pillars of the Earth-a breathtaking book. I have read POTE four times and listened to the audio book 6 times over the past 20 years.

I would take The Pillars of the Earth[/i] because it is grand in sweep, majestic and full of compelling characters. No matter how many times I read The Pillars of the Earth[/i], I stay up way past bedtime and dread the coming of the end of the book.

Orm -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/30/2012 10:48:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Thanks Orm - when you get a chance, fancy letting me know briefly why you have chosen those?

I picked many of the books that are on my to read list. I notice that I have two Pulitzer Prize winners with me.

-The Oxford Companion to World War II so I can read short facts about WWII.
-The Rise and Fall of the Roman empire is something I want to read and I suspect it has rereading value.
-Gulag - A History by Anne Applebaum - A very interesting book about Gulag that I began to read but then I got sick and hospitalized. When I felt better I had lost the thread and since then it is has been on my "to read" list. It is a book that makes me think.
-Michael Tamelander is currently my favorite author of historical books and Waterloo is the next one of his that I plan to read. At first I had one of his WWII books on the list but I decided to pick a book I have not yet read instead.
-The Pillars of Earth by Ken Follet is one of the best historical novels that I have read. Something relaxing to read and a inspiration for the books that I will write when I do have the time.
-Slavery because it is a intricate part in the history of humanity and most history books stay away from the issue of slavery. It is a book that is hard to fully comprehend so rereading it should help. It also makes me think.
-The Guns of August is so far the best book about WWI I have read. I am also fascinated by the early stages of WWI.

Orm -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/30/2012 10:52:09 PM)

quote:

quote:

I am only going to list one book at the moment. What a coincidence the I too would include The Pillars of the Earth-a breathtaking book. I have read POTE four times and listened to the audio book 6 times over the past 20 years.

I recently read Fall of Giants by Ken Follet and it was a very interesting read.

I must get the POTE audio book and listen to it at once.[:)]

parusski -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/30/2012 11:02:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I recently read Fall of Giants by Ken Follet and it was a very interesting read.

I must get the POTE audio book and listen to it at once.[:)]

Grab Pillars of the Earth from audible.com Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett, narrated by John Lee.

Vincenzo Beretta -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/31/2012 12:17:50 PM)

- Joan of Arc: Her Story and Joan of Arc: By Herself and Her Witnesses, by Régine Pernoud
- "The War Illustrated" Cyclopedia. The collection of all the issues of the WWII best selling British magazine. The war as was seen in real time, from the home front to the front lines.
- The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945, by John Toland
- Pursuit, by Ludovic Kennedy. Quite simply the best written WWII book I ever read.
- Watership Down, by Richard Adams. Yes, it is a war book [:)]

BASB -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/31/2012 12:36:03 PM)

Noddy and Bigears go to War all ten volumes, a must read.

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/31/2012 8:06:20 PM)

My second and third choices would come from the Napoleonic Wars.

2. The Waterloo Companion - Mark Adkin. This is a full colour book all about one of the great set piece battles of history (and the other three battles Wavre, Quatre Bras and Ligny). Written in a very readable style, this is an excellent reference book.

3. The Napoleonic Source Book - Philip Haythornthwaite. This book does what it says on the tin and is another excellent reference book, covering the entire period.

parusski -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/31/2012 8:07:58 PM)

I am nearly ready to add my other 9 books.

I just might be taking a bunch of Stephen Ambrose books with me.[sm=00000613.gif][sm=00000968.gif]

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Desert Island Books (1/31/2012 11:41:13 PM)

Chandler's -The Campaigns of Napoleon. A excellent read.
quote:

My second and third choices would come from the Napoleonic Wars.

2. The Waterloo Companion - Mark Adkin. This is a full colour book all about one of the great set piece battles of history (and the other three battles Wavre, Quatre Bras and Ligny). Written in a very readable style, this is an excellent reference book.

3. The Napoleonic Source Book - Philip Haythornthwaite. This book does what it says on the tin and is another excellent reference book, covering the entire period.

Max 86 -> RE: Desert Island Books (2/1/2012 12:54:28 AM)

Encyclopedia of Military History (Dupuy & Dupuy) (sp?) covers it all, wars, campaigns, battles, across the globe and throughout history including some analysis

Battlecry Freedom (McPherson?) again, one volume cover of the ACW

Rise / Fall Rome

Rise / Fall 3rd Reich

The Pacific War 41-45 (Costello)

I appreciate Pillars of the Earth reference. It is simply one of the finest reads of my lifetime.

Top 5 fictional reads for being stranded: (in no particular order)

1. POTE
2. Lonesome Dove
3. Bourne Identity
4. Huck Finn
5. Rama series of Sci-Fi (I know its more than one but everything came in threes in that book anyway...)

parusski -> RE: Desert Island Books (2/1/2012 1:45:13 AM)

quote:

Chandler's -The Campaigns of Napoleon

1. The Pillars of The Earth, Ken Follett.
2. Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry
3. Centennial, James A. Michener
4. The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley
5. A Stillness at Appomattox: Army of the Potomac, Bruce Catton
6. Battlefield Earth, L. Ron Hubbard
7. David Copperfield, Charles Dickens
8. Les Misérables, Victor Hugo

The common reasons for listing these books are that they are all re-readable, grand, fantastically entertaining, full of amazing characters and just great.

parusski -> RE: Desert Island Books (2/1/2012 1:56:37 AM)

quote:

Thank-you.

warspite1, M'cColleague, would I be allowed to take any of Stephen Ambrose's 437 books????

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (2/1/2012 7:06:19 AM)

quote:

quote:

Thank-you.

warspite1, M'cColleague, would I be allowed to take any of Stephen Ambrose's 437 books????
Warspite1

This is supposed to be a military / history book thread. I can therefore allow you to take just five:

- Peanut Brittle's role in World War II (2005)
- Tanks a lot: The Soviets say thank-you to the UK for the T-34 (1988)
- Napoleon: BPB fiend or teddy bear? (2001)
- What has Peanut Brittle ever done for us? PB and the Roman Empire (1975)
- Peanut Brittle and the Art of War (1976)

Edit: I wrote ****cat instead of teddy bear and the first part of the word was swapped for four astericks?!?!?!?!?

The Plodder -> RE: Desert Island Books (2/1/2012 7:24:59 AM)

Here's my ten (Very NZ orientated):

1. Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. Brilliant book about a Huey pilot in Vietnam. My 1983 edition is getting ragged but I still read it once a year.

2. Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.Fiction but feels real.

3. Oxford Companion of the Second World War. One of those books that you can just flick through.

4. Chronicle of the Second World War. Day by day history of the war written as newspaper articles.

5. New Zealand Wars by James Belich. The best history of the land wars in NZ during the mid-19th Century there is.

6. Mark of the Lion by Kenneth Sandford. A very well- written Biography of Charles Upham VC and Bar.

7. Men in Black.Not the comic or Will smith,this is a record of every All Black Test match played up to 2005.Needs to updated.

8. Most Dangerous Enemy by Stephen Bungay. THE Battle of Britain history.

9. Gallipoli: The New Zealand Story by Chris Pugsley. This is an excellent oral history of the kiwi Anzacs.

10. The Guns of War by George Blackburn.Awesome account of a Canadian Artillery officer in Normandy and NW Europe.

parusski -> RE: Desert Island Books (2/1/2012 3:23:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank-you.

Warspite1

This is supposed to be a military / history book thread. I can therefore allow you to take just five:

- Peanut Brittle's role in World War II (2005)
- Tanks a lot: The Soviets say thank-you to the UK for the T-34 (1988)
- Napoleon: BPB fiend or teddy bear? (2001)
- What has Peanut Brittle ever done for us? PB and the Roman Empire (1975)
- Peanut Brittle and the Art of War (1976)

Edit: I wrote ****cat instead of teddy bear and the first part of the word was swapped for four astericks?!?!?!?!?

Amazing how many of us do not read very carefully. But why would you expect all the Matrixgames forum members to even think the books would be of war/military nature? On this forum?? [&:]

I will gladly take the books YOU listed, since I am not allowed to mention a certain substance. I am going to start reading those books now.

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (2/1/2012 7:33:53 PM)

Okay No.4

I do not know for certain which one of two it will be, but its either:

The Forgotten Fleet (John Winton) or The British Pacific Fleet (David Hobbs). The reason I do not know is that I have not read the latter yet, but it will need to be very good to better Winton's book.

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (2/1/2012 8:38:32 PM)

No.5. Not a war book this time, but a stonking good read nonetheless.

The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers: Economic Change and Military Conflict From 1500 to 2000, by Paul Kennedy.

warspite1 -> RE: Desert Island Books (2/1/2012 9:35:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder

Warspite1

quote:

Here's my ten (Very NZ orientated)

Nothing wrong in that [&o][&o]

quote:

Most Dangerous Enemy by Stephen Bungay. THE Battle of Britain history.

Good choice - I should have a BoB in my ten and this is pretty damn good..

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI