jimhsu -> RE: Resource extraction rates in 188.8.131.52 (11/17/2012 7:47:00 PM)
This is how resources work so far in 184.108.40.206:
Mining stations / Starbases
All resources are updated once per week (7 days).
Mining rate = FLOOR(Raw mining rate * Rarity)
e.g. Lead abundance: 100%, raw mining rate = 60; mined amount per week = 60
Gold abundance: 39%, raw mining rate = 60; mined amount per week = 22 (this is rounded, so game says either 22 or 23)
Raw mining rate = MAX((rate shown in Ship Design * 10),(100))
(Yes, this does mean that with mining upgrades, 2 extractors provides maximal resource extraction at least for common and luxury resources. In fact, I think the last upgrade is basically useless).
Extraction rate scales linearly from 200M (max 20) to 600M (max 60) by the relation
Raw mining rate = Population in M/10
Populations above or below are capped to the corresponding min or max.
Mining components on spaceports on colonized planets do not produce additional resources.
Mining components on starbases on colonized planets do not produce additional resources.
Raw testing data: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_bXytCFRyFCWlJZTlJFN0kwQ28
- In the late game, you should NOT have more than 2 extractors on any base, period. Earlier, there may be an advantage to having 3 extractors on a base. More resources can be obtained by building more bases on the same planet.
- More extractors do NOT increase extraction of low abundance(%) resources. In other words, use one extractor setup, and prioritize high abundance planets.
- Colonies are pretty lousy at resource generation compared to mines.
- Obliterating a colony and building multiple starbases on that colony produces dramatically more resources (relevant for "special resource" planets) than having it colonized. Of course, the problem is that someone can come and scoop it up if it's not in your territory.
Changes I would suggest:
- Make colonies far more efficient at producing resources (especially for high populations). As in 10x current amounts for 10000M+ worlds. [this may fix the end game carbon fiber/chromium shortage also, because continental/marshy worlds are also the ones that are often colonized.] Additionally, mining components on spaceports should contribute to the colony.
- Make max mining rate for extractors and colonies scale with extractor technology (so that at max tech, max raw rate is more than 100).
- Make the max rate shared across a planet, so that building 10 bases doesn't offer 10x the benefit of one base.
- Increase the max raw rate by a bit, and make it exponentially decay once closer to the max, so that a massive starbase with 20x extractors might offer 5x faster rate than a base with 1 extractor.