RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> After Action Reports

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/27/2012 10:52:05 PM)

The remainder of the company sits tight as the commander breaks cover and heads to the northwest of their positions.

This vantage point shows the location of the 2 German HT's. They are both close together at this point. What does that mean? Does it mean they are radioing our locations? That they can't see us well enough to get a definite fix on the battalion? That they haven't determined our exact strength? That they are calling up the German armor to deal with our blocking positions?

How long before the Germans move armor up to engage our positions? How much time do we have left to us? Can we get our forces in place to engage them on our terms?

The clock is ticking.....

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/FB51091F32A646DFB1E0921DDA6E024F.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/27/2012 11:00:55 PM)

Or orders execution is as ordered. The Germans have not yet affected our plan. Even though both their HT's are now in the same area of Hill 254.

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/F80EF27814BB4D3983CA9905FE671DB5.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/27/2012 11:06:26 PM)

The infantry of 1st Platoon has not encountered any Germans in close proximity. They can see both German HT's, and in fact are the only Soviet units able to view the German HT's all the time. They continue to cautiously move up the southern slope of Hill 254.

2nd Infantry Platoon is holding in place.

1st Tank Company is moving one platoon forward and the rest of the company to the northwest behind the woods. This move is encountering no opposition.

2nd Tank Company is consolidating in the forward position to the east of Hill 254. There are frequent sightings of the German HT's but not enough to keep them in full LOS. Once the company has consolidated we will evaluate the company position to see how best to deploy it.

3rd Tank Company commander has begun to move to the western slope of Hill 254. The rest of the company is holding it's positions in the woods.

Do we have new orders? Or will the ones we have hold for the moment?

Good Hunting.

MR

Yoozername -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/27/2012 11:23:04 PM)

It does appear they are reconning into the 'KZ'.

I say let that tank platoon from 1TC draw first blood on those halftracks.  Let the infantry just observe at this point.

The only thing I would want is to have a platoon of 2TC give some local flank protection towards the woods.  But that can wait till next orders if we are in reaction phase. 

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/28/2012 12:20:59 AM)

I have been running the orders for a full turn. When I ask for orders from you guys it's because it's in the orders phase.

At present there hasn't been an issue with letting the orders run through the reaction phase. That will undoubtedly change as combat is joined.

If there are no new orders I'll just execute those we have in place.

That should get the 2nd Tank Company consolidated.

1st Tank Company mostly in formation behind the woods.

3rd Tank Company's recon unit moving around the hill.

1st Infantry Platoon moving cautiously forward.

I agree with the intelligence assessment you have of the Germans. They do seem to be moving into the Kill Zone you predicted before the action was started.

What does concern me a bit is that we haven't seen any actual German armor yet. I'm a bit hesitant to engage the Germans with no more showing of their forces than 2 HT's.

Good Hunting.

MR

Yoozername -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/28/2012 12:31:13 AM)

Yeah, let it roll.

We have the mobility to shift to threats.  I am starting to wonder about the east woods.

But let's just see what happens in this turn and maybe other voices can chime in over the weekend.

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/28/2012 1:52:27 AM)

Send a platoon of the recon element forward a bit to see what may be in the east woods?

Or let 2nd Tank Company consolidate first?

Good Hunting.

MR

Yoozername -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/28/2012 2:44:35 AM)

I am actually thinking that one platoon should go directly east but next turn

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 4:28:00 AM)

Interesting developments with just letting the orders ride. I'll finish converting the screen shots and post the results in the morning.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:02:43 PM)

The Germans start pushing more recon units into the area and the 1st and 2nd Tank Companies respond.

Here is a view of the targeting of the German HT's from 1st Infantry Platoons point of view.

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/50029A9908F449828988DE888EE77E61.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:06:25 PM)

2nd Tank Company has 5 German HT's in front of it. This is a game map view. The 2nd Tank Company cannot actually see the 2 HT's to the left from their forward positioning.

The HT to the right also doesn't stay in view but for a brief moment. The two center HT's though are in the 2nd Tank Companies Kill Zone and they have been given orders to engage.

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/0053429FDFEA4FC686273F68910FABB0.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:08:57 PM)

The orders are received to target the German HT's.

The battle is to begin.

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/55E4A05936E945AA832100F7832F1C56.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:11:50 PM)

Lt. Yerokhin however, being the Recon element leader decides to target a second German AFV on his own.

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/665856EE34D54365AE5729D3A5EA52FF.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:23:10 PM)

2nd Tank Company now draws first blood!

The Fascists will now pay!

2nd Tank Company fires and scores but Lt. Yerokhin's elite crew missed. They fired too quickly because they were afraid the tree would get in the way. The next shot should take out the hated German vehicle.

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/7338C32C15D24FAE9C132B2F34CDABC1.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:28:23 PM)

The view from 1st Tank Company from the front of the Kill Zone box.

Now that the engagement has been opened the 1st Tank Company is free to engage.

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/ADAA8061D0CB4E66B7EF7B63404C2089.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:31:31 PM)

1st Tank Company kills one of the German HT's as well.

Within moments the Germans have lost half of their recon forces that are in contact.

But....WHERE IS THE GERMAN ARMOR?????

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/26726C988E7947349402AEB0861B097F.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:34:48 PM)

The southwest side of Hill 254 still shows to be vacant of German forces.

Soviet Intel is that there is a German armored thrust coming through this area.

If so where are they?

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/D5CC02EDC7924268A4C413C93B453596.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:39:34 PM)

Here shows the 4 German vehicles, as well as Victory Location possession, on the small Tac Map in the game.

Two of these vehicles have since been knocked out.

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/0DA7C77663B84F28B7387D8DB278F524.jpg[/image]

junk2drive -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 6:46:50 PM)

Maybe you need to take back those VLs.

Yoozername -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 7:09:55 PM)

Are we in Reaction phase?

It seems that the Germans are reconning with one platoon of halftracks and holding that flag with the other.

My general impression is that:

3TC: that recon can't see much from it's new position. Pushing it further is not worth it. 3TC is probably the least experiences of the three companies and I can't see risking its HQ.

Bn HQ: Speaking of HQ's, it seems that there is a Bn HQ on the board. Maybe drive that thing back down the curved road and park it behind 3TC.

1TC: They should wipe out as many halftracks and goad other forces forward. It's possible the Germans have arty and these halftracks may call some. 1TC needs to 'red' the flag on the road.

2TC: I am not thrilled with the placement of the two platoons that moved up. I am not sure if they have taken a shot or can see anything. I am getting leary of having this one TC so far forward and now that it has drawn blood, I would want it to readjust its mission. All tank companies must be positioned for mutual support once the heavy armor appears. I would want the eastern-most 2TC platoon to reverse itself as far as the woods behind it. The other tank platoons should fire/move so as to also kill off as much light armor before they also take part in a phased withdrawl.

Yoozername -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 8:20:45 PM)

Yellow shows withdrawls and orders

[image]local://upfiles/20015/C3C2159E3E6B41C89CDD6264FCC4C616.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 8:25:36 PM)

No, we are not in reaction phase. I do the orders an entire turn at a time.

When I run the orders you guys give me it's for an entire turn. Ad the commander, I make any changes necessary during the reaction phase to keep in compliance with the orders I've received.

Once the turn has been run I bring back the results and we discuss what orders are going to be issued for the next turn.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 8:38:45 PM)

It was my understanding that the general consensus was the German's would advance into an area depicted as the Kill Zone on the map. They have done so.

That the Soviet Tank Companies would be arranged to hit the Kill Zone from the East, South and West at the same time to overwhelm the defenders.

At the moment you do not have a horseshoe ambush. At the moment you have an L shaped ambush. If you pull 2nd Tank Company back to the rear you will have a linear ambush.

I'm curious as to the change in tactics. I'm not sure that I think this tactic has worked well enough in the past to feel that we have a reasonable chance of success using a linear ambush now.

Unless you think that our speed will allow us to redeploy and overwhelm the enemy tanks when they make their appearance.

I would caution against large scale rearward moving redeployment's without the knowledge of where the German armor is. I think more information is required. At this moment we can put the eyes of the German recon out. But I don't see a need to withdraw.

If you want to take the crossroads I would suggest that we send 2nd Infantry Platoon to take it. That gets us the location and doesn't threaten any of our armor assets. I would still push the 3rd Tank Company commander forward just a bit further. Since he has not encountered any enemy tanks the 3rd Tank Company could be ordered to his present location to begin to form the western part of the horseshoe ambush. This then would follow our initial deployment plans.

It would put the kill zone in a position to be attacked from 3 sides. Of course there is no way of knowing the speed of the enemy advance and what amount of time we have left to maneuver.

As always, I'm yours to teach and command.

Good Hunting.

MR

[image]local://upfiles/28652/EAF9091D7C61447DAD838DF5771BB623.jpg[/image]

Yoozername -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 8:42:45 PM)

The Germans, as you have said, have not committed any heavy armor. Given the time lapsed, they might be using the rolling terrain or woods to make a break-in. So, No, they haven't really put their whole foot in the trap.

I am a happy coward and feel that the Soviets have the speed and numbers to use a flexible defense. But, 2TC has drawn blood, can make another shot at weak enemy forces, but has played out its combat patrol in my mind. 2TC can't move forward to threaten a flag. Given the lack of height information earlier in the game, I now feel that 2TC has very limited value to being where it is.

Best to wait for the intel to come to us.

Some possible German approaches. Note that they could sneak up the middle and pop up.

[image]local://upfiles/20015/D1DB03BDDB054151BA9B2F86ED4C9F38.jpg[/image]

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 8:52:55 PM)

There seem to be three avenues of advance open to the Germans. East, Center and West.

We can determine if the Eastern route is being used by pushing a recon element of 2nd Tank Company forward through the woods to see. That could be accomplished in short order. If the Germans are advancing here the 2nd TC can simply withdraw in front of them while the other two TC's maneuver around Hill 254 to strike them in the flanks.

The Center thrust seems to be what the Germans are taking. Which was forecast. If they choose this attack route the horseshoe ambush you initially ordered would work.

The Western thrust has shown no activity. If it is the area the same holds true in reverse for it. 3rd TC holds them frontally while the other two TC's attack them from the flank.

Pulling back without knowing where the enemy tanks are creates long response times. I don't mind being a happy coward as long as the loss of lives isn't for nothing.

Just my opinion.

Good Hunting.

MR

junk2drive -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 9:04:31 PM)

I've been concerned about the East woods all along. I would send something through those woods to spot the approach area.

Yoozername -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 9:21:51 PM)

I think some sort of hard info on exactly what the 3TC can see...as well as the 1infPltn, might be helpful.  And just to be clear, I am interested in their fields of LOS.  What terrain can they see?  I know that there isn't an easy graphical way to convey that, but you are asking for orders when basic information needs to be provided.

2TC is sort of in it own reverse slope area.  And its flank is unsecure.  I propose a withdrawl back to the area I showed on the yellow-line map.  If Ferdinands are coming through the woods, it would be slow going.  I would be up for sending 2TC ALL due east and then south along the board edge if nothing is found.  I would then want to send a platoon up to hill 253.  It seems that is the natural vantage point.

Mad Russian -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 10:35:57 PM)

I would think the Germans would stay out of woods with their longer range guns. Of course, this is the AI, so anything is possible.

Good Hunting.

MR

heinrich55 -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/29/2012 11:55:32 PM)

I think we need to push our single tank further forward on the left flank to find out if the Germans are coming from that angle. If it serves us to create the horseshoe ambush, then advance 3TC to the point where we've reconned. This will still let us swing right to rush up the side of 254 if need be.

To recon the woods we could break one tank off from 2TC and push them through to spot any German moves through the woods on the right.

Keep moving the infantry forward to spot in the center.

Hold our center and right positions. If the halftracks (the survivors if there are any, muhahaha) report back they have been hit from the front and side, this may sway the assault towards those positions and allow 3TC to hit a readjustment in the flank, or even to hit them as they position to strike our center/right side.

Tension is mounting.

Heinrich55

Ratzki -> RE: Semi-Interactive AAR: Elephant Hunt (1/30/2012 12:55:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I've been concerned about the East woods all along. I would send something through those woods to spot the approach area.

I feel that way as well, maybe get that infantry platoon moving through the woods to take a better look to the north, it shouldalso be able to position itself to retake that flag that is near the northwest point of the woods when the time comes.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.929688E-02