Matrix games and Osprey publishing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

wodin -> Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/5/2012 11:38:57 PM)

Just a thought this. I love the artwork in the Osprey titles Men at Arm s and Elite forces etc. I noticed that Matrix has some kind of contract with them as I see Field of Glory section on their website and Matrix is linked there aswell.

I'd love to see it in a wargame. Squad Battles has a mod that uses them and I'm currently in the process of making a mod using them.

It's such a resource for artwork I really think in a future Matrix title it could be put to good use.

Missouri_Rebel -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/6/2012 12:13:23 AM)

Hey wodin. Do you mean HPS Squad Battles? I own Korea but never really played it. Do you consider the HPS SB series worth looking at further? As an ASL player, I love the scale of single squads and individual men on a tactical map and I'm very excited to hear that Conflict of Heroes will be published by Matrix Games although I have to admit I've never had any contact with that system. I understand that is an ASL lite?

Any links to the Squad Battles mod you mentioned?

mo reb

nim8or -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/6/2012 1:19:48 AM)

I've tried several of the Squad Battles titles and just can't find a way to enjoy them. The maps are usually small, the objectives require unreasonable timeframes for completion and the mechanics seem wonky, for lack of a better term. I suppose I should trade them for something I'll actually use one of these days. I much prefer Steel Panthers (SPWW2 or even SPWAW)in spite of their age. Hard to believe we don't have anything better with all the interest out there.

rosseau -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/6/2012 1:36:02 AM)

It's bizarre, but if you took the complexity of the fantasy game PoxNora and converted it into squad level combat it would own SB (which I like anyway). It also has built-in campaign and experience elements already. Would just need some new graphics and M16s instead of wooden staffs.

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/6/2012 2:06:04 AM)

I have them as well and I am sorry to say I feel the same way. I couldn't get into them either.
quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or

I've tried several of the Squad Battles titles and just can't find a way to enjoy them. The maps are usually small, the objectives require unreasonable timeframes for completion and the mechanics seem wonky, for lack of a better term. I suppose I should trade them for something I'll actually use one of these days. I much prefer Steel Panthers (SPWW2 or even SPWAW)in spite of their age. Hard to believe we don't have anything better with all the interest out there.

sabre1 -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/6/2012 2:30:34 AM)

^ Add me to that list, I have Red Victory.

wodin -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/6/2012 4:12:47 PM)

I've championed SB for a few years now. Though to be honest it's mainly because for me anyway there the only viable tactical turn based game series out there (WinSPWW2 is good but I prefer the look and atmosphere of the SB titles).

It's a game that shines PBEM and I have no urge to play against the AI. The trouble with me though is I hate to be committed to a game and have to play it everyday. So in the end SB gets far less playtime then it deserves.

I do have some quite major issues with SB aswell.

1. Abstract ammo and no RoF settings are my main issues, the way SB takes it into account means that sooner or later you MG42 is firing peanuts. It's even worse in the Modern War titles as I feel SB engine limitations and the abstractions are more obvious in this type of warfare and weapons.

2. No multilevel buildings. Not as major as the first issue mind.

3. Abstract Armour, I know it's about Inf combat but I'd sill like to see armour dealt with better.

4. Can't co-ordinate an assault from different hexes. This should be made possible.

5. Can't resupply. Not much you can do with this really until they bring in proper ammo levels. Though if they did that it probably wouldn't be needed. At the moment big scenarios are pointless because before long your units are ineffective due to the ammo abstract mechanic. If this was sorted then you could make big scenarios. There is a map out there for the whole of Stalingrad! With some changes in the game it could have been possible to recreate a big part of the Stalingrad battles, lets say the whole attack at the Red Barrickady factory. Sadly as it stands the game wouldn't be able to handle it.

However if your a tactical gaming nut and you love PBEM I'd say buy them.

ezz -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/7/2012 7:18:13 PM)

And me.
Traded them away.

Perturabo -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/8/2012 1:26:38 AM)

Speaking of Ospreys...
The Osprey collection that was released every two weeks in press stores in Poland has ended. Which is rather sad as I normally can't afford Ospreys[:(].
I guess they ran out of movies to add bundle with the books or something like that. They usually sold them with history channel movies.

wodin -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/8/2012 2:03:27 AM)

A few years ago they published 100 men at arms mags with a hand painted lead soldier taken from one of the drawings. I collected them all, however somewhere my newsagent messed up so I'm about 6 soldiers short! They are all still in their boxes and is my No1 collection. Even though there all stored away! Though the mags took a beating from the Ex when she was in one of her moods so I'm probably about another 7 mags short.

They also did a Napoleonic series which I never bothered with.

it was in conjunction with Del Prado. The soldiers where os excellent quality aswell. As good as any others out there.

Perturabo -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/8/2012 2:55:52 AM)

Maybe they'll do it here too. Though I'd prefer if it would be without models. Collections with models and figures are always expensive.
I loved being able to buy an Osprey every two weeks for 10PLN.

Too bad that the Polish main publisher of military history books - Bellona is so slow in releasing Ospreys and their latest releases are trash like "Polish Army 1939-1945" (why would anyone want to buy a 50 page booklet about 6 years of an army which includes drastically different periods ranging from the Polish Army, the Polish People's Army and the Polish Army in Exile) - it's pure crap. Then "Polish Army in Napoleonic Wars"? What's the point of these releases? They are worthless.

wodin -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/8/2012 3:33:35 PM)

I collected them for the soldiers it was about ten years ago and each issue came out once a month and was 8.99.

Perturabo -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/8/2012 10:57:36 PM)

I was collecting the ones with DVDs for the Ospreys as normally, I wouldn't be able to afford buying them. They'd probably cost 30 PLN here with soldiers/vehicles which would make it less attractive - I'd probably have to skip the issues that I'm not very interested in.

Iain McNeil -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/9/2012 10:26:50 AM)

We have a very close relationship with Osprey and have used their art in a number of games. The Field of Glory table top games was a parntership between Slitherine & Osprey and we now have around 30 books released with them. We have used their art in Panzer Corps, Field of Glory, Hannibal and probably others but I dont remember which!

wodin -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/9/2012 6:00:19 PM)

They have the best illustrators out there. Oh if I only had a talent like that!

I want to see their artwork in a squad level WW2 game!

My mod for SB is nearly finished. Though I wish I had been doing it for a Matrix squad level game.

jomni -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/10/2012 9:35:10 AM)

I have asubtantial Squad Battles collection and play PBEM frequently.
It's a good system despite the quirks.

As for the objectives, etc. It's all in the scenario design. More recent titles have very good scenarios compared to the early titles. And also, casualties are more important than objectives so don't get too bothered about gaining territory at the given time frame.

wodin -> RE: Matrix games and Osprey publishing (1/11/2012 5:07:13 PM)

Jomni don't get me wrong I love the series though I wish a couple of things where added\changed that would make a massive difference to the game. Sadly Mr Tiller just wont have it that if some major changes where made he'd sell alot more copies, well enough to warrant the time spent on it. Of all scales of wargame it's this level that really is sadly neglected and overlooked with very few releases at the top down style. Yes we have CMx2 and PCO but I'm talking about a new 2D squad level game that would be WEGO rather than IGOUGO, that actually had multi level buildings and all the other realism mechanics you can think of. A game that gives this scale the old GGWitE or WitP treatment. A squad level game made by Mr GG and Mr Billings would make my day.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI