RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition

TonyE -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (2/22/2012 3:17:50 PM)

Thanks Major SNAFU [:)]

You can always come chat with us on IRC (left side of http://www.harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?autocom=portal ) or http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=281 or your favorite IRC client connected to irc.stratsims.com .

Or you can let Herman talk your ear off. I don't approve of or condone that but it works.

Vincenzo Beretta -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (2/23/2012 8:10:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE
Or you can let Herman talk your ear off. I don't approve of or condone that but it works.

Beside, there are others who actually Fly Him IN and PAY him for his opinions about ANW. On the net they are given for free [;)]

Bigfish -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (4/5/2012 1:24:27 AM)

>> What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon?

In my opinion the question is:  What happened to Harpoon?

I’m playing Harpoon since 1991 – not constantly – but from time to time. Also I bought several versions over the last 21 years. At last the Harpoon Commanders Edition. Also I have to say that I never get warm with Harpoon2/3 – probably because Harpoon 2 killed my computer (yes true!). In addition I never liked the GUI of Harpoon 2/3. It is a computer game – and a game should have a good playable GUI rather than an ultra-realistic GUI. I wrote about this here a couple of years ago about some other Matrix Games.

I think this could be one reason why Harpoon 2/3 never was a replacement for Harpoon Classic. Harpoon Classic was always under parallel development with Harpoon 3. Properly while the community of Harpoon Classic still playing on Harpoon Classic rather than Harpoon 3.

So I think it happened that one crew with limited resources have to deal with two individual projects. Because of this none of the two had a chance to enter the future. Look at ScenEdit for Harpoon Classic – it is a 16-Bit application in a 64-Bit World. Using virtualization to deal with it? Are you kidding?

I think since 1996 or so – I dreamed of a complete new Version of Harpoon combining the best of both worlds and developed for state of the art OS (Win NT 4). Reading about Harpoon 4 under development I get sparkling eyes. But Harpoon 4 dies a silent dead.

Years past by – playing Harpoon Classic/HCE from time to time – dreaming about the perfect naval war game – and looked for news about Harpoon once per year.
But really frustrating I must see there is no really development of Harpoon others then Databases over Databases. I see thousands of variants of F-16s but no game to play with them.

And now? Last week I played Harpoon – the first time since a year or so. Two days before I searched for news about Harpoon. Especially to decide if I should buy HUE or not.

But I have to realize Harpoon is finally dead!!! There is no really development since a couple of years and I read about the trouble in the community. The last information about TNH dated 2009. Shattered dreams about a new modern naval war game? No because I found information about “Command” – Hopefully exact the game Harpoon should ever be…

So what should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? Sell it till the end of days… Probably I buy HUE for completion, but not for further gaming…

And what should AGSI be doing with Harpoon? Stop working on both old versions and set sails for TNH! Even better: Shift all resources to Command – which seems to be the game the Harpoon community dreamed of for the last two decades…

++++

Also there is another very big problem with Harpoon – what the hell is the latest version from which version?
Is my HCE 2009.050 the last and same version of HCE included with HUE? Which is the version number of Classic Harpoon shipped with HUE?

Please post an exact (graphical) version tree – this is better than thousands of web pages trying to explain the complex Harpoon history with words. I would do this on my own, but I haven’t the necessary information.

Best wishes to all Harpooners – my favorite game for more than 20 years – now I think it’s time to set sails to “Command” – There is a good chance this game will be a suitable replacement for Harpoon - sadly.

From Germany
Bigfish

PizzaMan -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (4/23/2012 8:18:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major SNAFU

So my two cents is, for starters, make it much, much more clear what the difference are between HCE and H3/ANW/??? (I have been trying to get this straight literally for days and I still am uncertain that I even have the nomenclature straight, hence the ???).

A comparison table would be the only good way to go with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpoon_(series)

Vincenzo Beretta -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (4/23/2012 9:58:53 AM)

A video "Harpoon Classic and Harpoon3 Comparison" might be more helpful. You can find it on the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

Watch Harpoon Classic and Harpoon3 Comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpXyEd6MxgU&list=PL00A1015FF46F9D79&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Tbirdguy -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (7/6/2012 2:58:41 PM)

Would they consider making a World War 2 version of Harpoon? If not, are there any games that harpoon-like set in WW2? I remember playing one in the 90s (Pacific Strike..I think), but it would be great to play an updated version. Thanks.

TonyE -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (7/10/2012 5:27:42 AM)

Thanks Tbirdguy. I can't speak for Matrix but there has been community interest in a WWII variant over the years including user generated databases that do what they can within the current game engines to simulate WWII.

ruixilyy -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/8/2012 2:32:35 PM)

after waiting for so much time, i have to ask the same question again: whether there will be an official harpoon H3UE v3.11 update? I mean an official release, not beta version.

TonyE -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/8/2012 3:55:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruixilyy

after waiting for so much time, i have to ask the same question again: whether there will be an official harpoon H3UE v3.11 update? I mean an official release, not beta version.

It would be more polite to ask that in a separate thread about 3.11 but in any event the answer is that the plan is still to release a 3.11 update.

ruixilyy -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/8/2012 4:58:47 PM)

quote:

quote:

It would be more polite to ask that in a separate thread about 3.11 but in any event the answer is that the plan is still to release a 3.11 update.

More polite? Then Matrix should release the update within a REASONABLE period of time. No customer has to wait for more than a year for the 'future' update. Otherwise, I find no reason to 'beg' for an useless answer.
As far as I can see, no update will be released by the end of 2012. Let's wait and see.

Vincenzo Beretta -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/9/2012 9:46:56 PM)

quote:

Then Matrix should release the update within a REASONABLE period of time. No customer has to wait for more than a year for the 'future' update.

To be precise, the promise to upgrade all ANW users to the HUE level was made at least 28 months ago 6/18/2010 by Erik Rutins of Matrix Games:

[Quote]Erik Rutins
What it tells existing customers is that they will get a free update to the level of the Ultimate Edition[/Quote]

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2500056

Having said that, since I'm pretty sure we will get nothing it costs nothing to be "polite": it is all part of the Orwellian fun [;)]

TonyE -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/10/2012 5:17:04 PM)

Vince, we can always count on you to assist the hijacking of a thread, drowning out the on-topic posts of YankeeAirRat, noguaranteeofsanity, rich12545. Thanks again to those three for staying on-topic with valuable contributions.

ruixilyy -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/10/2012 8:52:43 PM)

quote:

Vince, we can always count on you to assist the hijacking of a thread, drowning out the on-topic posts of YankeeAirRat, noguaranteeofsanity, rich12545. Thanks again to those three for staying on-topic with valuable contributions.

Definitely TonyE did not reply directly to what Vincenzo Beretta incisively pointed out--the fact that 28 months ago, ER of Matrix Games made a promise of an 'incoming' update. Perhaps he cannot reply with any plausible reasons? Pity.

Cdr Sylvester -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/10/2012 9:28:27 PM)

quote:

Definitely TonyE did not reply directly to what Vincenzo Beretta incisively pointed out--the fact that 28 months ago, ER of Matrix Games made a promise of an 'incoming' update. Perhaps he cannot reply with any plausible reasons? Pity.

"incoming" doesn't imply "at once". Or maybe you prefer to have bug-plagued sims but with monthly deliveries. Yes, as a matter of fact, 28 months are very long. HUE was released almost 2 years ago, but Vince, as an Italian, should know that Rome wasn't built in a single day. It goes exactly the same for Harpoon. Especially when a certain group throw every drop of energy in blasting efforts done instead of offering its expertise in a good manner.

FG

ruixilyy -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/10/2012 9:31:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cdr Sylvester

quote:

"incoming" doesn't imply "at once". Or maybe you prefer to have bug-plagued sims but with monthly deliveries. Yes, as a matter of fact, 28 months are very long. HUE was released almost 2 years ago, but Vince, as an Italian, should know that Rome wasn't built in a single day. It goes exactly the same for Harpoon. Especially when a certain group throw every drop of energy in blasting efforts done instead of offering its expertise in a good manner.

FG

Do you think 28 months is a reasonable time for the 'incoming' standard? Then perhaps 10 years (ie, 120 months) can also mean 'incoming'.

Vincenzo Beretta -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/10/2012 11:55:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

Vince, as an Italian, should know that Rome wasn't built in a single day.

But it was (and is) patched in less that 28 months after fires, floods etc.

quote:

It goes exactly the same for Harpoon. Especially when a certain group throw every drop of energy in blasting efforts done instead of offering its expertise in a good manner.

You mean... like doing a buglist? For what is worth (*) it is here.

(*) Even with a bug description, a save file for each bug, and even a video showing each and every bug, it was never put to use in an useful manner. Maybe "offering expertise in a good manner" means keep quiet on how, from the day the patch was promised to today, they even found Bin-laden [8|]

Vincenzo Beretta -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/11/2012 12:04:43 AM)

Double post.

Mobeer -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/11/2012 12:22:08 AM)

Total 48 posts in this thread in 10 months suggests to me that Matrix Games should be looking elsewhere for advice on what to do with Harpoon in future. Or deciding that there is not enough interest to do any further development.

Cdr Sylvester -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/11/2012 5:38:36 AM)

Vince, you should read carefully what's written on HarpoonWiki... And you have no excuse that there is a tool where to post your "buglist", but nowhere on this tool I see your buglist. I wonder how you guys still hang to a game you're criticize at will. 10 years for a patch? Gosh! Current pace for Harpoon is around 2 years, and we're getting close to it. Maybe things would go faster if instead of childish behavior of some, a few of time spent in feuding would be spent in real help.

Vincenzo Beretta -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/11/2012 6:19:48 AM)

quote:

Vince, you should read carefully what's written on HarpoonWiki... And you have no excuse that there is a tool where to post your "buglist", but nowhere on this tool I see your buglist. I wonder how you guys still hang to a game you're criticize at will. 10 years for a patch? Gosh!

Actually, the BugList had an entire HarpoonWiki dedicated to it and it even had magical properties!

It mysteriously appeared
5/8/2008 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1799684

disappeared
4/1/2009 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2077554

re-appeared
4/1/2009 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2077737

re-disappeared
5/1/2009 or so

and hasn't been seen since. We're not into playing such childish games. We just want to play a functional Harpoon.

quote:

Current pace for Harpoon is around 2 years, and we're getting close to it. Maybe things would go faster if instead of childish behavior of some, a few of time spent in feuding would be spent in real help.

Actually, it's nearly 3 years since Russell Sharp, the project manager for Harpoon and an official representative of AGSI, promised that:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

3.10 will be a free upgrade to versions 3.7 or later.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2306709

Anyway, we still "hang for a game" by publishing scenarios and additional free stuff, and by helping newcomers. Harpoon, as Iain McNeil openly stated, is still about the best sellers in Matrix catalogue - so maybe we are doing something right [:)]. True, sometimes we lose a bit of time by explaining things to the occasional whiner in the plainest language we can manage. And, true, it is very often a meaningless endeavour.

But enough about us. What are YOU doing hanging around this forum? We will be able to see any concrete contribution from you? We can't wait! - as long as it will not take "two years on the average", that's it :)

TonyE -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/11/2012 9:00:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

Total 48 posts in this thread in 10 months suggests to me that Matrix Games should be looking elsewhere for advice on what to do with Harpoon in future. Or deciding that there is not enough interest to do any further development.

50 posts in the thread, barely a handful of them on topic, this is definitely not where I should have looked for advice on what we should expect or prompt Matrix to do with Harpoon. I was fishing and thought maybe you all could paint the story I was seeking. Note it was me asking, not Matrix, and the response here definitely tells me the Matrix Harpoon forums are not the place for anyone to understand Harpoon.

ruixilyy -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/11/2012 9:07:44 PM)

How ridiculous! We customers paid Matrix Games the money to buy HUE. Matrix Games promised to provide updates for the game, and then nothing happened for more than 2 years. If you ask what should Matrix do with harpoon, it is simple: Matrix Games should release the promised 'incoming' update 3.11 as soon as possible. 28+ months of waiting is not reasonable in any sense. If Matrix Games fails to release the promised update, what else can those who bought HUE expect?!

Cdr Sylvester -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/11/2012 9:11:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

We will be able to see any concrete contribution from you?

You already have seen it Vincenzo... Your friend Herman claimed he has imported it to the Reimer Editor. Strange for unconcrete contribution.

As for the delay in 3.11 release, you'll do as everybody: you'll wait

Vincenzo Beretta -> RE: What should Matrix be doing with Harpoon? (10/11/2012 9:53:15 PM)

Guys,

this is a place where people come to enjoy and talk about Harpoon. If you have something interesting or constructive to say or ask you are welcome. If not, next time you will be reported. First and only warning.

P.S. "You wait" is not a polite answer. Even less for potential buyers.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.294922E-02