Odd tank (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

crsutton -> Odd tank (8/23/2011 5:10:48 PM)

Just noticed that my Samoan marine unit located on Samoa has a dozen of these. Never heard of them before. Learn something new.

Marmon-Herrington CTL-6 (1941)
Turretless tank; improved version of CTL-3, fitted with track and suspension components similar to M2A4 Light Tank. Only 20 built, discarded in 1943 on Samoa.
Contract cost: $20,837.50

Crew two
Armament 3 .30 Cal. MG
Engine Hercules WXLC-3 6 cyl. 124 hp
Dimensions
Weight 14,775 lb.
Armour 7/16", except for inch engine louvers
Speed 33 mph
Range 125 miles
Fording

[image]local://upfiles/8095/861F36573DBA4ABA9C9B243ED719D8EB.jpg[/image]

LST Express -> RE: Odd tank (8/23/2011 5:20:57 PM)

Beats walking I guess.[:)]

JohnDillworth -> RE: Odd tank (8/23/2011 5:43:47 PM)

Didn't the Brits lose a few of these at the Somme?

m10bob -> RE: Odd tank (8/23/2011 6:42:31 PM)

They were built in Indianapolis..China had some.

dr.hal -> RE: Odd tank (8/23/2011 6:57:02 PM)

I thought I saw some British units equipped with something along these lines. No, I'm not thinking of the Bren Carriers....

crsutton -> RE: Odd tank (8/23/2011 7:47:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

They were built in Indianapolis..China had some.

Yep, that is an American designed suspension fer sure...

I am willing to bet somebody in Somoa today is delivering pizza in one of those things.

Schanilec -> RE: Odd tank (8/23/2011 9:02:44 PM)

Parking not a problem.

Blackhorse -> RE: Odd tank (8/23/2011 11:45:09 PM)

From the Marmon-Herrington website:

Between 1935 and 1942 the Marmon-Herrington Company built various light tank types based on commercial components, for sale to foreign countries and the U.S. armed forces. It is not very well known that a small number was tested and acquired by the U.S. Marine Corps and also exported to various countries.
The first models, known as the CTL (Combat Tank, Light) series, were turretless vehicles mounting machine guns in raised superstructures. In the late 1930s the U.S. Marine Corps funded the development of a number of these turretless light tanks and nicknamed them "Betties" after Rear-Admiral Harold "Betty" Stark, who had authorized their purchase.

. . . the other Marmon-Herrington's in US service, the T-14 "Dutch" tanks (originally ordered by the Netherlands for the DEI, diverted to the US once Java fell) can be found in AE attached to the US Infantry Regiments stationed in Alaska. These (very) light tanks had turrets, but were also armed only with machine guns. There were actually two variants of this tank, one with the turret offset to the left (the t-14), and one with the turret offset to the right (T-16). Since the turret could not traverse past the driver's position -- the turret had only a 240 degree traverse -- a T-14 was supposed to be paired with a T-16 to ensure 360-degree fire. Not the greatest design in the world, but it was available, and so it was used.

In AE the "T-14 Dutch Tank" represents both the T-14 and T-16 variants.

JeffK -> RE: Odd tank (8/24/2011 2:27:42 AM)

Australia used a small number of these (Maybe from a Dutch order) in 1941/42 as training tanks pending the arrival of M3 Stuart, Lee/Grants and Matildas

I'll see what the book Desert, Dust & Jungle has to say about them tonight.

JeffK -> RE: Odd tank (8/24/2011 4:15:57 AM)

Just thought of this site

http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/marmonherringtinph_1.htm

zzodr -> RE: Odd tank (8/24/2011 4:44:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST Express

I think I'd rather walk. It's a bullet magnet. [;)]
Wouldn't stop a .50cal round.

JeffK -> RE: Odd tank (8/24/2011 7:05:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zzodr

quote:

ORIGINAL: LST Express

I think I'd rather walk. It's a bullet magnet. [;)]
Wouldn't stop a .50cal round.

Still out armours your average japanese light tank of the same era.

Not many 50cals in the japanese TOE.

m10bob -> RE: Odd tank (8/24/2011 12:19:19 PM)

Some of you guys really need to look at purchasing Steel Panthers/World At War from Matrixgames..It is an encyclopeadia of everything armored and tactical from that war, every theater!..

crsutton -> RE: Odd tank (8/24/2011 4:44:10 PM)

I think the most amazing thing to me is that Marmon-Herrington was a US company. I have always assumed that the company was British. The game teaches......

Ol_Dog -> RE: Odd tank (8/24/2011 5:51:51 PM)

From To Hell And Back - The tank commander says they will be in real trouble if they run into Tiger tanks - they have only 1/2 inch armor. Kerrigan tells the tank commander "How thick do you think this GI shirt is?"

zzodr -> RE: Odd tank (8/25/2011 1:01:27 AM)

quote:

Some of you guys really need to look at purchasing Steel Panthers/World At War from Matrixgames..It is an encyclopeadia of everything armored and tactical from that war, every theater!..

Yep, it's a classic. Been playing since SSI released SP1.

Reg -> RE: Odd tank (8/25/2011 7:35:12 AM)

quote:

Purchase????? [&:]

It's never been for sale [;)]. Steel Panthers: World at War - Product Downloads

You can purchase the Mega-Campaigns and will get a copy of the Steel Panthers game thrown in for free. [:D]

m10bob -> RE: Odd tank (8/25/2011 12:13:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

You can purchase the Mega-Campaigns and will get a copy of the Steel Panthers game thrown in for free. [:D]

Reg, I stand corrected..I did not know the free version was still available, and that is all the more reason anybody with free space on the HD needs this as a MUST!!!..

JeffK -> RE: Odd tank (8/26/2011 2:12:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Just thought of this site

http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/marmonherringtinph_1.htm

This is an exact copy of the book I quoted above, as Major Paul Handel was author of both articlesand was Curator of the Australian Armoured Corps Museum at Puckapunyal you could assume its pretty accurate and not "just" a modellers website.

crsutton -> RE: Odd tank (8/26/2011 3:27:44 AM)

quote:

quote:

Is this the same Steel Panthers that I bought and played over a decade ago?

wdolson -> RE: Odd tank (8/26/2011 4:26:59 AM)

I think there were some bug fixes when Matrix acquired the game and modified it for the Mega Campaigns, but it's essentially the same.

Bill

Reg -> RE: Odd tank (8/26/2011 9:15:47 AM)

That is like saying that WITP-AE is just WITP with a few bug fixes. [:D]

WAW is a HUGE advance over the original SSI Steel Panthers series. I was around when WaW first appeared and followed it's development up to quite recently. I think I still have SP-WaW V1.0 on CD somewhere!! [X(]

WaW got the same support from dedicated developers and contributors in both the executable and OOB areas that AE is getting now. It really is to the credit of Matrix that they can harness these resources and use them to develop a product into something so authentic and so much better than the original...

m10bob -> RE: Odd tank (8/26/2011 12:15:42 PM)

quote:

That is like saying that WITP-AE is just WITP with a few bug fixes. [:D]

WAW is a HUGE advance over the original SSI Steel Panthers series. I was around when WaW first appeared and followed it's development up to quite recently. I think I still have SP-WaW V1.0 on CD somewhere!! [X(]

WaW got the same support from dedicated developers and contributors in both the executable and OOB areas that AE is getting now. It really is to the credit of Matrix that they can harness these resources and use them to develop a product into something so authentic and so much better than the original...

[sm=00000436.gif]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02