CSA and depots in Friendly Areas (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States

lparkh -> CSA and depots in Friendly Areas (8/2/2011 10:25:54 PM)

In the original rules and strategy and tactics it was often emphasized that the Rebs didn't need depots for initiative if defending in friendly home provinces. However my reading of the 1.04 patch notes is that now the Rebs must indeed have such depots to enjoy good initiative in their home areas. First is this right? second, therefore, I must build depots under my reaction armies to have a decent chance for intiative in say Virginia? Boy another supply burden for CSA is tough :-( Would be nice not to have to build depots in friendly south :-( )

Here are the rules I am reading from 1.04 readme:
Addition to section 6.4 (Leader Initiative) An extra bonus of 1 toward 4. initiative is now given to leaders in an area that has at least 40 supplies (and 2 depots), or is in a friendly permanent state region with at least 20 supplies (and 1 depot). This is in addition to the normal 5 bonus for being in home territory or having at least 20 supplies.
Change to section 6.4 (Leader Initiative) - It is now necessary to have a depot 5. in an area with at least 20 supplies in order to get the +5 bonus (in previous versions it was sufficient to have the 20 supplies in the area without a depot).

Capt Cliff -> RE: CSA and depots in Friendly Areas (8/3/2011 4:25:33 PM)

I don't have any problem getting my CSA units to activate without a depot. They seem to activate better than the Union leaders do. You do need a good theater commander with an admin stat of 6, but 4 seems to be ok, Cooper in Richmond, as long as you have R.E. Lee as army commander. Depots are good for offensive action and the CSA is really playing a defensive game. Don't expect a Gettysburg type campaign in this game, it won't happen.

lparkh -> RE: CSA and depots in Friendly Areas (8/3/2011 6:11:21 PM)

Thanks for replying. I do understand the rebs have a better chance of intiative with being at home typically. Been reading through the AARs. My issue is I'm going to be playing a former beta tester (treefrog). So I need to really understand the little "edges" like whether in 1.04 a depot might actually help in a confederate home region.
I will miss not doing Gettysburg though :-)
Thanks again!

Def Zep -> RE: CSA and depots in Friendly Areas (10/20/2011 3:29:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lparkh

In the original rules and strategy and tactics it was often emphasized that the Rebs didn't need depots for initiative if defending in friendly home provinces. However my reading of the 1.04 patch notes is that now the Rebs must indeed have such depots to enjoy good initiative in their home areas. First is this right?

Yes. 1.04 changed this.

ALL armies, Confederate included, are affected by their supply level for reactions. This is a very important change for the Southern player to recognize, and forms the lynchpin of his eastern theatre (Virginia) defense.

quote:

second, therefore, I must build depots under my reaction armies to have a decent chance for intiative in say Virginia?

Correct. Although a depot is not absolutely needed in Virginia itself (it can, say, be located in North Carolina), distance is a factor in establishing the supply level. The closer to the depot, the better the chance of reacting.

As Cpt. Cliff has noted, the Southern leaders are generally good enough in the east to react without a depot. However, having one available improves their chances for reacting. And, in other theatres where elite leaders like Lee and Jackson are not available, depots become mandatory to screen fort construction, or permit Nathan Bedford to activate & respond freely at large when he needs to.

NB: Sorry for the post necro, but GG's WBTS is an excellent game, and too few people get a chance to play it competitively against another opponent (instead of the AI), so I think the above may help.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.269531E-02