oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

jreid -> oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 12:47:28 AM)

For an hq to receive supply production from a city, it has to be able to trace a line of hexes to that city.

Does an oil or ore hex have to be able to trace a line of hexes to a friendly city in order for the oil/ore to be placed in the global oil/ore pool?

Is it possible to cut off an enemy oil well/ore mine, and not have it contribute to the enemy's global oil/ore global pool, by cutting off the oil well/ore mine from the enemy's cities?

Or is it sufficient for the oil well/ore mine to just be under friendly control?

thanks

Casus_Belli -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 1:03:43 AM)

"Is it possible to cut off an enemy oil well/ore mine, and not have it contribute to the enemy's global oil/ore global pool, by cutting off the oil well/ore mine from the enemy's cities?"

I don't think it is, but I reckon it should be.

Madlok -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 1:16:00 AM)

Oil and ore are stored in the global abstract pool not in any real places on the map, so you can't cut off any line. It is not realistic but better then nothing.

jreid -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 2:37:28 AM)

Ok, thanks.

Webizen -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 2:57:11 AM)

You can bomb resources hexes with bombers and maybe shell them with artillery.

lion_of_judah -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 6:29:47 AM)

I have found since playtesting my Indochina scenario, that if you do not have control of the sea then your oil production is cut dramatically. Both China, Indochina and Thailand have had this issue, now more Indochina since their entire Navy has been destroyed.

Josh -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 10:17:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

I have found since playtesting my Indochina scenario, that if you do not have control of the sea then your oil production is cut dramatically. Both China, Indochina and Thailand have had this issue, now more Indochina since their entire Navy has been destroyed.

Hm that's interesting, haven't noticed that before. Are the oil losses displayed somewhere? Like the Supply losses?

lion_of_judah -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 11:32:15 AM)

at the very beginning of your turn in report it will tell you how much oil was produced last turn this turn and what you have now, don't remember exactly since I'm not looking at it. But it appears that when sea areas around your country are contested then oil produced is less sometimes than others and other times none is produced, but you still have your original output for use if this make sense. But I think airpower plays a part as well.

Josh -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 7:29:50 PM)

Thx for clearing that up, I'm playing a new random scenario right now and it has lots of ocean, so will have to check that out. It would make sense though, supply can be intercepted, so why not oil.

henri51 -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 9:01:53 PM)

Not that it's going tomake a lot of difference: after a few moves, an AI country of any size will have enough mineral and oil to make it to the end of the game - assuming that they need them, which they don't to some extent.

It is not clear to what extent the AI uses oil and raws, but in my present game on an xlarge random map, none of the AI have forces, oil and raws less than 3 times my own,and some have 5-10 times as much. This happens fairly early in the game -just watch the curves. As I mentioned elsewhere, any AI with a couple of cities and resources can stand up to a human with over 20 cities and as many resoure hexes, as long as they are not overwhelmed in the early game.

Henri

ernieschwitz -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 9:42:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

Not that it's going tomake a lot of difference: after a few moves, an AI country of any size will have enough mineral and oil to make it to the end of the game - assuming that they need them, which they don't to some extent.

It is not clear to what extent the AI uses oil and raws, but in my present game on an xlarge random map, none of the AI have forces, oil and raws less than 3 times my own,and some have 5-10 times as much. This happens fairly early in the game -just watch the curves. As I mentioned elsewhere, any AI with a couple of cities and resources can stand up to a human with over 20 cities and as many resoure hexes, as long as they are not overwhelmed in the early game.

Henri

Now if i where you, and admittedly i am not, i would check if the setting that the AI should use Ore in construction is set as true or false. In standard multiplayer games, i donīt think the AI is set to use ore at all. That would explain why they have so much. I canīt see however if there is a setting to disallow oil being used by the AI... i will have to check that another way i guess. ;)

EDIT: Made a quick check in my Hispaniola scenario, and i can confirm that the AI uses oil for movement.

mgaffn1 -> RE: oil/ore - need to trace a line to city? (4/25/2011 11:02:23 PM)

ditto ernieschwitz's comment above - I found this in the editor in the settings window under AI. (more details to follow) There are different lines of code that allow other AI cheats as well - you can toggle them on and off to make the game more "playable". Otherwise, playing "fair" against the AI can be very daunting... if not impossible.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI