Pirates of Black Cove (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Obsolete -> Pirates of Black Cove (3/22/2011 10:21:21 PM)

I'm a little surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet on the forums, since it will be an up-coming release from Paradox.

I did get some mail from them yesterday regard this, though the closest I can GUESS is it may be something similar to Sid's Pirates.

Arctic Blast -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/22/2011 10:24:29 PM)

Definitely curious to see what sort of game it ends up being. I'm always up for a good pirate game. [:)]

sterckxe -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/22/2011 10:29:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

I'm a little surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet on the forums, since it will be an up-coming release from Paradox.

I did get some mail from them yesterday regard this, though the closest I can GUESS is it may be something similar to Sid's Pirates.

Since it's from Paradox they'd better call it "Bugs and Buccaneers" [sm=duel.gif]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

sterckxe -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/22/2011 10:30:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast
Definitely curious to see what sort of game it ends up being. I'm always up for a good pirate game. [:)]

If you're into boardgames ...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25292/merchants-marauders

Best Ever Pirate game I played - call me a fanboy

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Obsolete -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/22/2011 11:14:13 PM)

As I understand it, Paradox is not developing it, just publishing it.

Hertston -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/22/2011 11:38:46 PM)

quote:

.... since it will be an up-coming release from Paradox.

Hardly a recommendation... [;)] Still, shouldn't knock them after that mega-mega-deal on Steam at Christmas.

Joe 98 -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 12:14:27 AM)

Frog frozen in ice cube:

0-

[image]http://users.tpg.com.au/sueyoo//OBSOLETE.JPEG[/image]

-

Anthropoid -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 1:35:18 PM)

Personally, I'll take Paradox, bugs and all, over some of the other crap we are getting these days (not Matrix). Thank God firms like Matrix and Paradox are still making games I say.

apathetic lurker -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 3:58:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Personally, I'll take Paradox, bugs and all, over some of the other crap we are getting these days (not Matrix). Thank God firms like Matrix and Paradox are still making games I say.

True, but i'll still wait for patch #2,345 before I buy anymore Paradox stuff .....or if its dirt cheap

Yogi the Great -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 4:49:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

True, but i'll still wait for patch #2,345 before I buy anymore Paradox stuff .....or if its dirt cheap

Yeah I waited for dirt cheap from Paradox and figured the worst that could happen is I'd lose $10. Ended up I lost $10.

apathetic lurker -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 5:24:55 PM)

I try to hold out  for 4.99 but usually get it for around 10 just like you.....same price as a movie but I get about twice as much out of it....with the requisite hair-pulling and cursing of course.

Obsolete -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 9:18:19 PM)

Well, again I'll re-iterate it is not Paradocs who is developing this one. Seems to be Nitro Games (don't remember hearing of them before).

I have not seen any examples of the title yet at all, aside from what looks like speculative concept art. Though the image to the Right below COULD be taken from in-game.

[image]http://www.gamersdailynews.com/userfiles/image/PiratesofBlackCove-min.jpg[/image][image]http://www.gamersdailynews.com/userfiles/image/PiratesofBlackCove_alpha_shot0081.jpg[/image]

Arctic Blast -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 10:10:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Recently getting in to board games, actually. And that one was already on my shopping list for a planned buy next month. [:D]

SireChaos -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 11:28:55 PM)

quote:

Well, again I'll re-iterate it is not Paradocs who is developing this one. Seems to be Nitro Games (don't remember hearing of them before).

They´re the ones who made East India Company, and Commander: Conquest of the Americas.

apathetic lurker -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 11:30:49 PM)

quote:

I have not seen any examples of the title yet at all, aside from what looks like speculative concept art. Though the image to the Right below COULD be taken from in-game.

[image]http://www.gamersdailynews.com/userfiles/image/PiratesofBlackCove-min.jpg[/image][image]http://www.gamersdailynews.com/userfiles/image/PiratesofBlackCove_alpha_shot0081.jpg[/image]

But they pretty much hold the purse strings, so to speak and if they say boo the developer will jump...

Platoon Crusher -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/23/2011 11:55:44 PM)

quote:

Well actually, Nitro is the developer of East India Company and Conquest of the Americas. I haven't looked at this new game yet, but I enjoyed playing those two prior games. That does look like a screenshot of the game as it looks like East India and Conquest ingame....

bairdlander -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/24/2011 2:33:23 AM)

I knew this would end up as a bash PI thread.[>:][>:]

Lightsleeper -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/24/2011 9:17:55 AM)

It is a Nitro Games game published by Paradox, it's a game in the spirit of Pirates! with a twist of humor.

Here's some links about the game:

Official website :
Pirates of Black Cove - Official Game Website

Facebook :
Pirates of Black Cove on Facebook

Twitter :
Pirates of Black Cove on Twitter

Dev Diary :
Pirates of Black Cove Developer Diary | GameZone.com

Media

Preview on Examiner:
Pirates of Black Cove preview: a pirate fantasy sandbox - National PC game | Examiner.com

Videos

Early Gameplay :
YouTube - Pirates of the Black Cove Gameplay 1
YouTube - Pirates of the Black Cove Gameplay 2

Teaser Trailer :
YouTube - Pirates of Black Cove Teaser Trailer

GDC Interview :
YouTube - GDC 2011: Pirates of Black Cove video interview

Screenshots

Early screens :
Arr! Early screens for people that like pirates

sterckxe -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/24/2011 10:14:48 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Recently getting in to board games, actually. And that one was already on my shopping list for a planned buy next month. [:D]

One word of advice : play the game with captain drafting - give each player 3 captain cards and let him choose which one he'll start with. This is important because there are multiple ways you can win this game, but your captain kinda forces you into a particular way through his stats which might not be the way you like to play the game. Having to play as a trader because your captain s*cks at being a pirate is not my idea of fun and vice versa. As to strategy : do what other players aren't doing - if they're all going the pirate way, you can more easily win as a trader - if they all trade, start pirating but keep away from Spanish and English merchants if at all possible.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

apathetic lurker -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/24/2011 2:09:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

I knew this would end up as a bash PI thread.[>:][>:]

But PI makes it so easy by throwing bugs into their offerings.......And lots o' bugs

Still like their games..Just not at full price, unlike say, Matrix games.....

Lützow -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/24/2011 5:37:59 PM)

Not worth to be mentioned here. Nitro is just another company catering the casual market with shallow games. They developed the boring East India Company before.

hgilmer3 -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/24/2011 11:41:11 PM)

Looks a little cartoonish to me. I'm not really into cartoonish.

Anthropoid -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/26/2011 1:23:45 PM)

East India and Conquest of the Americas are fun games. I waited till they were both out a long time to buy them and experienced no bugs whatsoever. Excelent tactical age of sail battles. Far better than anything else I've ever seen at that, and certainly more interesting than the little popup windows dealing with tactical naval battles that you get in grand strategy titles.

ADDIT: the only thing remotely close to the tac battles in these two titles that I've seen are the ones in the COGEE game, and Nitro's are handsdown better.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/28/2011 12:01:24 AM)

I am not going to knock Paradox. I will take a buggy game about the 15th-20th century over the alternative. Which is that no other company is willing to take on the project.
Paradox produces unique games that would otherwise not get made at all. No other company is really going to give us a grand strategy game about the period in history that EU covers.
And I think their games upon release are kind of overblown in terms of bugs. Yes the games do have problems. But the games are playable. And Paradox does stand with their games offering up to a dozen patches in some cases.

Anthropoid -> RE: Pirates of Black Cove (3/28/2011 4:11:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I am not going to knock Paradox. I will take a buggy game about the 15th-20th century over the alternative. Which is that no other company is willing to take on the project.
Paradox produces unique games that would otherwise not get made at all. No other company is really going to give us a grand strategy game about the period in history that EU covers.
And I think their games upon release are kind of overblown in terms of bugs. Yes the games do have problems. But the games are playable. And Paradox does stand with their games offering up to a dozen patches in some cases.

Agree 100%.

No game publisher is perfect, but there are plenty of Blizzard type firms that focus on the real 'casual gamers,' i.e., the ones who have ZERO interest in real history, very little interest in strategy or tactics, and are primarily playing as a diversion and brief form of entertainment; not as a pasttime/hobby/obsession like us wargamer/Grogs.

We should be thankful for each and every company that makes decent games in our genre that are not just redundant. It keeps our genre alive and vital.

For the past month or two, I've been playing one game, over and over and over. It is one of the best games I've ever played. I'm tempted to call it THE best game, but it deals with such a narrow scope and lacks enough strategic elements to really push it over that hump. Best tactical 19th century battles game I've played for sure, and one of the best tactical battles of them all. That game, published by Paradox and developed by Mad Minute Games, is Take Command 2nd Manassas. Came out in 2006. Present status is ZERO bugs. I bought it for about $5 on Gamersgate. There is still a living (not "active" per se, but alive still!) forum community, lots of mods and fan made maps/scenarios, and still modding going on. One guy who was new to the forum said "I hesitate to call this a game. Simulation is more like it." It is an amazing ACW tactical battles game.

We can all thank Paradox for that.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.515625E-02