Can be played windowed or not ? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

laska2k4 -> Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 3:45:10 PM)

I put the same question on the Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris forum,
my purchase is subjected to this law.

thanks

2ndACR -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 3:47:27 PM)

It is windowed.

usecase -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 3:48:17 PM)

It's a proper Windows application, unlike many games. So sure. That said, I run it maximised and auto-hide the Windows 7 taskbar, so it feels like a fullscreen app.

Zebedee -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 3:52:25 PM)

Very silly question perhaps, but are there command lines to force the game into playing as full screen?

Panama Red -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 3:56:27 PM)

I would like an answer to the above question too, i.e. how to force the game to play in full screen mode without having to maximize the game all the time ???

Mynok -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 4:06:02 PM)

You have a shortcut to it on your desktop, right? If not, make one.

Then right-click, select Properties, and down towards the bottom of the shortcut tab is a Run: selection. Pick Maximized.

Voila!

Zebedee -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 4:22:03 PM)

Thanks Mynok, I'd tried that but I'm getting a fatal error code #801 from tryin to run the game from shortcut (before anyone asks, yes I have paid for the game and am using the correct serial number, latest beta patch installed on new and clean install) so can't use that method which is why I was wondering about command line switches.

If it works for you, I'm guessing it's something dumb my side of this screen. As usual ;)

dlazov66 -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 4:58:36 PM)

The game is a standard Windows application, meaning that i can be played in windowed and full screen mode by selecting the appropriate windows buttons to go to full screen or window mode.

After over a year of playing this game there is no reason for 'full non-windows mode' and in fact having both windowed and full window mode is totally awesome for print screen's, word docs and internet browsing. In fact if you have the horse power no need to close other applications ad nasuim like other old fashioned PC games that take up all the CPU space.

Zebedee -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 7:21:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dlazov66

The game is a standard Windows application, meaning that i can be played in windowed and full screen mode by selecting the appropriate windows buttons to go to full screen or window mode.

After over a year of playing this game there is no reason for 'full non-windows mode' and in fact having both windowed and full window mode is totally awesome for print screen's, word docs and internet browsing. In fact if you have the horse power no need to close other applications ad nasuim like other old fashioned PC games that take up all the CPU space.

Personal taste is a very good reason in my book. Vive la difference and all that. I'm running the game with 8gb RAM, a 1055 6 core processor and a crossfire set-up. Lots of horses, personal taste when playing games remains unchanged. :)

Still trying to figure out why creating a shortcut would result in some breach of the copy protection on the game in Win 7 64-bit though. The game menu .exe can be set to run non-windowed mode with no problem (albeit it takes up just the left hand corner of my screen) but the game .exe itself can't be for some reason. Creating a shortcut creates a fatal error #801 with a message saying my game code is wrong, whereas it runs fine through the game menu option and by running the game .exe directly. Minimising the window during in-game processing also seems to cause black screens which is another oddity. Might point to a corrupted initial download of the setup exe I guess but it's certainly odd stuff.

Gandalf -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 7:46:41 PM)

Zebedee:

Did you by chance allow WITE to install into the default folder, ie. .../Program Files/... with User Accounts enabled?

Panama Red -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 8:14:59 PM)

I tried the above suggestion of setting the Shortcut to "run maximized" and it makes NO difference (Win7 64bit). The first selection menu (play game, manual, etc) is now full screen, but the game is still "windowed" [:@]

Any other ideas ???

Edit:
I see if I make a shortcut directly to the WitE.exe versus the autorun.exe that the game normallyu uses, I can get the game to run in the "maximized" condition, but then you can not "escape" out all the opening scenes, credits, etc. Any solution around that ???

Zebedee -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 9:51:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

Zebedee:

Did you by chance allow WITE to install into the default folder, ie. .../Program Files/... with User Accounts enabled?

I did, yes. Just a default installation without changing paths or anything else.

Leo (Apollo 11) suggested that this is something testers have reported as maybe something to do with the beta patch and the full patch tends to sort it out, so I may wait on the full patch and see if I can shortcut it then.

Obviously not a big issue, but when you intend to spend many hours with a game, you want it 'just so' to your own tastes as much as can be tailored :)

Jones944 -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 9:52:55 PM)

@Panama Red
Delete (or rename) the three opening credits video files from the videos folder in the game installation folder.

Mynok -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 9:56:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zebedee

Thanks Mynok, I'd tried that but I'm getting a fatal error code #801 from tryin to run the game from shortcut (before anyone asks, yes I have paid for the game and am using the correct serial number, latest beta patch installed on new and clean install) so can't use that method which is why I was wondering about command line switches.

If it works for you, I'm guessing it's something dumb my side of this screen. As usual ;)

Sounds like your shortcut is messed up. You did make a shortcut for the game itself and not the stupid game menu right?

bwheatley -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 10:02:54 PM)

Ya make sure it's the quickstart menu option not the regular one which just gives you a menu.

Gandalf -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 10:47:22 PM)

Zebedee:

Most likely then, User Accounts is interferring with the shortcut.

I always disable/turn off User Accounts and install games into a folder which does NOT include any reference to .../Program Files/... or .../Program Files (x86)/...

The Microsoft OS (i.e. Vista or Win7) messes with the game installation otherwise and probably does not like a game installed with User Accounts ON and located in .../Program Files/... being accessed directly via a direct shortcut to the game executable.

The only games that I don't change the installation folder for are Steam downloads but even then I still have User Accounts disabled and direct shortcuts have been working for them just fine without the wireless card turned on. I don't alter/move those games installation folders because it messes up the Steam update capability for those particular games.

Zebedee -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 11:27:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok
Sounds like your shortcut is messed up. You did make a shortcut for the game itself and not the stupid game menu right?

Yeah. Direct to game .exe as I do with all my other Matrix games.

---

Gandalf - cheers. I'll have a play about with installation paths and UAC options. Default Matrix path is outside of /Program Files and /Program Files (x86) btw.

Gandalf -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/11/2011 11:37:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

---

Gandalf - cheers. I'll have a play about with installation paths and UAC options. Default Matrix path is outside of /Program Files and /Program Files (x86) btw.

Duh... [&:]

I am so used to all games going to .../Program Files/... that I didn't even notice that Matrix had made the sensible decision to not follow the herd.

Mynok -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/12/2011 12:00:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama Red

I tried the above suggestion of setting the Shortcut to "run maximized" and it makes NO difference (Win7 64bit). The first selection menu (play game, manual, etc) is now full screen, but the game is still "windowed" [:@]

Any other ideas ???

Edit:
I see if I make a shortcut directly to the WitE.exe versus the autorun.exe that the game normallyu uses, I can get the game to run in the "maximized" condition, but then you can not "escape" out all the opening scenes, credits, etc. Any solution around that ???

I use the space bar. I'm sure you could rename the VIDEO directory in the WitE install as well.

Mynok -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/12/2011 12:02:21 AM)

quote:

quote:

Hmmm...I have Vista64 and while I do get an 'Allow' (UAC crud) pop-up when I run the game, I certainly don't get an error message. Wonder if this is a Windows7 thing.

Panama Red -> RE: Can be played windowed or not ? (1/12/2011 12:42:38 PM)

Renaming all the wmv files (other than the victory/defeat wmv files) cured the problem of bypassing the opening/credits films. Thanks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI