More Rail Repair (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

Schmart -> More Rail Repair (12/11/2010 8:16:39 AM)

So far, I only see AG HQs sending out RR ants, even though many Army and Corps HQs have construction Bns attached. Will Army/Corps HQs ever send out RR ants, or is there something preventing them from doing so? Can't find anything in the manual expanding on this, other than the difference in RR support ranges.

victor charlie -> RE: More Rail Repair (12/11/2010 10:06:30 AM)

I find most of my corps and army HQs are too far from the rail head to send out RR units.

BigAnorak -> RE: More Rail Repair (12/11/2010 10:09:11 AM)

quote:

I find most of my corps and army HQs are too far from the rail head to send out RR units.

This is probably the main cause, but you should also note that construction battalions will not operate within 5 hexes of any enemy unit. (Rule is in the readme file, not the main manual.)

Schmart -> RE: More Rail Repair (12/13/2010 4:44:39 AM)

Yes, it's starting to make sense now. My field HQs are too far forward, definately not within range of railheads. Short term solution is to send a chunk of the construction Bns back to AG HQs. Now there's a virtual RR army sloggin it out. Must be all those enslaved POWs! [:)]

AZ Gung Ho -> RE: More Rail Repair (12/13/2010 4:48:13 AM)

I just finished playing the Road to Leningrad and saw something a little puzzling. When I finally figured out how to use the repair unit, it worked fine till it crossed a river, then it wouldn't repair anything for one turn, and only 4 hexes the next.

Does crossing a river slow down the rail repair unit to simulate bridge building or something?

BigAnorak -> RE: More Rail Repair (12/13/2010 9:31:01 AM)

quote:

Does crossing a river slow down the rail repair unit to simulate bridge building or something?

Yes, it pays normal movement costs to reach the hex it is repairing.

rtb1017 -> RE: More Rail Repair (12/14/2010 8:31:16 AM)

For Railroad repair units that are auto controlled, once they repair the track they, do they automatically move to the next rail or do they go back to the HQ and then it sends it back to reapir damaged rails? does the AG know how to systematically repair tracks in sequence or is it doing it randomly?

BigAnorak -> RE: More Rail Repair (12/14/2010 10:25:36 AM)

It is done randomly. It is important to remember the auto repair is only back filling your rail grid, and not improving the supply grid, which is based on the rail heads being created by the FBD units you control.

pauk -> RE: More Rail Repair (11/17/2011 10:20:59 AM)

ok, i figured how FBD units works and used them for RR repair. Suddently, some rail (hexes) cant be repaired. My FBD unit doesnt have any RRC points after i move it to hex i wanted to repair. Probably i missing something?

(blue arrows - i can repair RR, yellow circles - cant repair)

[image]local://upfiles/4569/49807B26B2784F0CA414CA80680304B7.jpg[/image]

gingerbread -> RE: More Rail Repair (11/17/2011 10:31:46 AM)

You missed repairing the hex sw of Vilnius.

Edit: Sorry, a bit cryptic. You must follow the rail line, it is not enough to have hexes leading back.

Also, I recommend the repair thread in the war forum.

heliodorus04 -> RE: More Rail Repair (11/17/2011 1:41:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

quote:

This is probably the main cause, but you should also note that construction battalions will not operate within 5 hexes of any enemy unit. (Rule is in the readme file, not the main manual.)

I can show you a screen shot of at least 6 German corps construction units within 2 hexes of enemy units. I'm not sure why mine would be doing this, but at Leningrad my corps are clearly using their BN construction SUs. So perhaps this limit isn't working as designed?

[image]local://upfiles/30405/6109985611C6415F80089BDC00639B64.jpg[/image]

Farfarer -> RE: More Rail Repair (11/17/2011 2:06:02 PM)

Sov RR Repair Brigades will automatically advance your grid, though I suppose they are re-re-repairing railroads "repaired" by the Axis. Shepherd them forward faster by stacking 3 units at the root of useless branches
quote:

It is done randomly. It is important to remember the auto repair is only back filling your rail grid, and not improving the supply grid, which is based on the rail heads being created by the FBD units you control.

gingerbread -> RE: More Rail Repair (11/17/2011 3:56:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

quote:

quote:

I can show you a screen shot of at least 6 German corps construction units within 2 hexes of enemy units. I'm not sure why mine would be doing this, but at Leningrad my corps are clearly using their BN construction SUs. So perhaps this limit isn't working as designed?

The 5 hex rule only applies to Soviet rail repair and only before December '41. That said, in at least one AAR it is claimed that the 5 hex limit is not enforced.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI