Got the big manual printed... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

Tzar007 -> Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 7:32:11 PM)

I printed the game manual (on 2-sides of course) on my laser color printer. I had to switch to new toner cartridges of cyan and yellow in the course of printing and my magenta is almost depleted [:)] (but they were not at 100% to start with).

Then I got it spiral binded at Staples. The result is a hefty game manual, the biggest I've ever had.

[image]http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu43/Tzar0007/photo.jpg[/image]

Topo -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 7:42:03 PM)

I hate you! [:D]

Stugots -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 7:48:04 PM)

Looks nice. Wish i had the hardware to do the same.

I always prefer to have manuals on paper so i can read them whereever i want. Just dont like reading from pdfs on the computer.

I really loved having the full WITP AE manual. I think they printed them in china or something. Thats how the cost was kept down. Guess ill have to make due with the pdf and the 104 page manual when it comes. Or till i spend money on a laser printer and ink.

Congrats as im drooling.

Templer -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 7:50:01 PM)

Here is my:

[image]local://upfiles/30978/9DACB409EEEB432C9090278968D242B6.jpg[/image]

Templer -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 7:53:27 PM)

Black and white.
I've paid 35,00 € in Germany.
Almost the size of the Nuremberg phone book.

[image]local://upfiles/30978/41D85B3C4490415C96E4AE08BEC252A9.jpg[/image]

Tzar007 -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 8:12:00 PM)

Yeah, yours is as thick as mine Templar...I can't imagine somebody printing this only on one side...

When I changed my inkjet printer 3 years ago, I spent 800$ to buy a all-in-one laser color printer, mainly to print out all the manuals of my wargames (and I have quite a few [:)]). I also print out maps to put on the walls of basement "war room". I have this huge one of WITP...

But now you can get a quality laser color printer for just 300$ to 400$, the prices have been falling like crazy. The "made in China" factor...

Dr. Foo -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 8:17:03 PM)

I was thinking of having Kinko's or Office Depot print (in color) and bind it and rough estimates?

Lützow -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 8:43:54 PM)

The printed manual looks like it took half the price of Amazon's Kindle. [:D]

randallw -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 9:03:42 PM)

This is the trickle-down effect on the economy when a giant-manualed game is released. [;)]

nukkxx -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 9:21:32 PM)

this is what I should do. I will !

Tzar007 -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/10/2010 9:21:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

I was thinking of having Kinko's or Office Depot print (in color) and bind it and rough estimates?

Go on their website, you can submit your manual on line and depending on your choices (color, type of paper, binding, etc) it should provide you with a quote in real-time before you confirm you want it. I think OfficeDepot does it this way.

If I remember well, the prices for color printed manuals were horrendous. But that was more than 3 years ago, perhaps it's less expensive now.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

The printed manual looks like it took half the price of Amazon's Kindle. [:D]

Yeah, that's what I thought when changing my toner cartridges [:)] But laser cartridges are cheap and last long. I pay 45$ for a pack of 4 cartridges (black, cyan, yellow, magenta) and they last for quite long compared to inkjet.

LarryP -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 1:47:37 PM)

I checked the Staples here in town and they have no services like that. I like that spiral bound. Thanks for sharing the picture. I'm only printing one side but could do both. What pound of paper did you use for the dual side printing? [&:]

Office Depot did an estimate for me in color and it was $225 and some odd cents! B&W was $33. Crazy! [X(]

Tzar007 -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 2:03:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I checked the Staples here in town and they have no services like that. I like that spiral bound. Thanks for sharing the picture. I'm only printing one side but could do both. What pound of paper did you use for the dual side printing? [&:]

Office Depot did an estimate for me in color and it was $225 and some odd cents! B&W was $33. Crazy! [X(]

I didn't use anything fancy, just 24lb standard laser paper of the Staples brand. Works well even after reinserting the paper on the reverse side for the double printing.

For the binding, not all Staples may do it, especially the spiral binding. I like spiral since you can have it entirely folded open over itself.

225$ is totally ridiculous. At that price, you can almost buy a laser color printer and do it yourself...

LarryP -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 2:24:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tzar007

I didn't use anything fancy, just 24lb standard laser paper of the Staples brand. Works well even after reinserting the paper on the reverse side for the double printing.

For the binding, not all Staples may do it, especially the spiral binding. I like spiral since you can have it entirely folded open over itself.

225$ is totally ridiculous. At that price, you can almost buy a laser color printer and do it yourself...

That $225 was for single side print. I thought the same when I saw the price, that I could buy a laser jet printer and the paper too! I was expecting around $30 for color. They must allow for a lot of color on each page, and if they were to look the pdf over, they would see that there really is not that much color to print. However, this was a quote online.

I prefer spiral too for the same reason. I have the hard binders all over in the computer room and need to get rid of some. Even Korsun Pocket is on a shelf and I don't play that anymore.

I'm using 20# and it works OK. I prefer to use 24# as the extra 4# really does make a stout page. My laser jet works well with 20# and I have a ton of that weight, so that's what is getting used. I figure by the time I get done, the paper and binder will cost $14. Now the ink is another thing and probably be about 1/2 of the black cartridge and 1/3 the color. So the price of my two cartridges would be about $20. So $34 total. Ouch!

Ken7 -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 2:59:19 PM)

To Hell with the full manual. I will use the manual that comes with the boxed game and when I need answers to questions Ive got you guys[:D]

LarryP -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 5:13:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ken7

To Hell with the full manual. I will use the manual that comes with the boxed game and when I need answers to questions Ive got you guys[:D]

Now somebody is using their brain here. [;)]

LiquidSky -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 6:46:28 PM)

Probably cost about 30$ in ink to print on my printer...and I just put it in a binder.

LarryP -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 6:55:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Probably cost about 30$ in ink to print on my printer...and I just put it in a binder.

I may have skimped on my allotment for the ink, and it may cost $10 more that I said. Don't know yet as I'm not done printing the thing. [:D]

Franciscus -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 7:11:10 PM)

I think I finally have a good reason to buy myself an iPad...[:D]

LarryP -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 9:55:29 PM)

I thought about a Kindle but I've spent all I can spend this Christmas, I mean holidays. Almost offended people there... [:'(]

Gandalf -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/23/2010 10:51:19 PM)

Can you upload .PDF files to a Kindle? I know you can upload them to I-Pads, I-Phones and Droids, but a Kindle, just curious?

Der Oberst -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/24/2010 12:55:29 AM)

Have mine on my iPad and it's sweet. :-) Using the iBooks app.

Der Oberst

LarryP -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/24/2010 1:14:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

Can you upload .PDF files to a Kindle? I know you can upload them to I-Pads, I-Phones and Droids, but a Kindle, just curious?

Amazon says it has a PDF reader. Kindle

E -> RE: Got the big manual printed... (12/24/2010 3:37:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

About $40.00 for B&W bound @ Kinko's (I went with a new inkjet black cartridge for about $15.00 + $3 for a pretty and new binder... shame no thought is ever given to people printing in B&W as far as illustrations go)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI