Old Talonsoft Games (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

BigRonG -> Old Talonsoft Games (7/18/2009 5:12:20 AM)

I recently dug out a couple of old Civil War Talonsoft games that I enjoyed (Bull Run, Gettysburg) and saw nothing on this site. Does Matrix still own these games? Who does? Are they being maintained? And what about the rest of the Talonsoft Civil War series (weren't there 9 games or something)? If you own them but don't plan to sell / maintain them, how about putting the last version out there for free download?

Hertston -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/18/2009 6:19:54 AM)

Look harder. John Tiller's Battleground Civil War [;)]

BigRonG -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/18/2009 6:37:29 AM)

So all the Talonsoft games were compiled into a new game with some sort of a new UI? So since I have 20-25% of this game already, I get a discount? <j/k>

Tony_A -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/18/2009 8:11:52 AM)

I believe only about 1/2 of the Battleground series was Civil War related.

The others were Napoleonic, except the very 1st Battleground was a WW2/Ardennes game.

FWIW, besides patches, I think there are 32-bit executables somewhere out there that bring the original 16-bit versions more up to date.

Hertston -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/18/2009 10:39:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigRonG
So all the Talonsoft games were compiled into a new game with some sort of a new UI?

Like the other Talonsoft games here, Napoleonics and the Campaign Series, they are re-releases rather than a 'new game'; just packaged together with a common menu screen. There have been a few compatibility tweaks and such but that's about all. Obviously how good a buy they are depends on how many of the originals you have and whether you think the additional games and any improvements are worth more money.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/18/2009 11:34:45 AM)

Well, the entire bundle is already priced less than a single one of the old games and they are updated to work fine on XP and Vista to boot.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/18/2009 11:44:11 AM)

Just bought the civil war compilation from Matrix recently and loving them.

Slick Wilhelm -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/18/2009 4:02:36 PM)

And I bought the Napoleonic bundle and am currently having great fun fighting as the Russians at the Battle of Borodino. 

Darkstar One -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/18/2009 8:28:20 PM)

Do the Battleground games work on Vista 64?

tactician93612 -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/20/2009 8:09:14 AM)

Vista 64 ... Unfortunately, from what I've learned plays havoc with the 32-bit programs.[:(]

I haven't had the opportunity to learn this '1st hand', per se. I have read though that you'd
experience a can of unwelcomed problems. Ranging from startup issues to mid-game crashes.
[8|]

Just a precaution friend. [8D]

Tony_A -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/20/2009 9:53:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tactician93612

Vista 64 ... Unfortunately, from what I've learned plays havoc with the 32-bit programs.[:(]

I haven't had the opportunity to learn this '1st hand', per se. I have read though that you'd
experience a can of unwelcomed problems. Ranging from startup issues to mid-game crashes.
[8|]

Just a precaution friend. [8D]

Vista 64 runs 32-bit programs fine.

In some ways it's actually better at running 32-bit programs than a 32-bit OS.

16-bit programs however, are the problem.

Greybriar -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/20/2009 3:45:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tony_A

In some ways it's actually better at running 32-bit programs than a 32-bit OS....

It's tied at 1-1. Does anyone else care to express their opinion?

Since I have a 32-bit operating system, I won't relate what I have read on the 'net. Google it if you want to.

panzers -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/21/2009 12:27:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tony_A

In some ways it's actually better at running 32-bit programs than a 32-bit OS....

Since I have a 32-bit operating system, I won't relate what I have read on the 'net. Google it if you want to.
Chances are, if you have a good library of games, most of them would probably be 16 bit. Stay away from it. I have a hard enough time as it is with the ancients on my home premium games from here. You have no shot at 64 bit,
There are way too many awesome games that are 16 bit. I will never get anything that is 64. Windows 7 has either 32 or 64. Trust me on this one. For gaming purposes, the 64 bit just isn't set up for it unless you have all of the more modern day 32 bit games, then they usually will run better than on a 32 bit systems. Hope that helps and hope that makes sense

panzers -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/21/2009 12:28:20 AM)

Hey, I just got promoted by my wisdom [:D]

milkweg -> RE: Old Talonsoft Games (7/22/2009 1:26:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Yes, 32bit games and apps run fine on Vista64, like he said, it's 16bit that is the issue.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI