Coastal Invasion (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

undercovergeek -> Coastal Invasion (6/25/2009 2:15:27 PM)

If understand it correctly you can unload on the coast and then walk to the hex, a) because this might be a good way of doing it and b) to avoid getting pummelled on the beaches - can you unload onto any coastal hex or does it need to be flat sand, low cliffs etc, and it his is the case how can i see what kind of hex im just about to disembark onto?

herwin -> RE: Coastal Invasion (6/25/2009 3:23:48 PM)

HISTORY

Japan preferred to do this. They didn't have the amphibious assets to attack a defended shore.

The beach terrain did matter. You certainly did not want to land on cliffs or a mangrove swamp.

Mistmatz -> RE: Coastal Invasion (6/25/2009 3:25:16 PM)

I believe you can unload in every coastal hex, regardless of terrain.

That's why you'll see this 'feature' house ruled (read forbidden) in many, eventually even most of the games.

herwin -> RE: Coastal Invasion (6/25/2009 3:42:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz

That's why you'll see this 'feature' house ruled (read forbidden) in many, eventually even most of the games.

It also allows you to use raiders to cut supply routes.

The American armed forces are still sensitive about beach suitability for assault landings.

undercovergeek -> RE: Coastal Invasion (6/25/2009 5:52:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz

whys that then?

AirGriff -> RE: Coastal Invasion (6/25/2009 6:52:50 PM)

In my current pbem, we dont allow "non base/dot" landings, but in a previous game it was allowed. If it's handled with a sense of fair play I think it's ok. In future games I would allow a battalion or maybe a brigade to be landed in such a hex, but not more than that and there would be some kind of limit as to how much supply could unload, as well. These are 60 mile hexes, after all. There has to be some place in there to land some troops, even in a 40 mile hex.

JeffK -> RE: Coastal Invasion (6/25/2009 10:05:10 PM)

With a lot of research, but the info is available, you should be able to limit access to beaches by using the pwhex editor to stop movement into the coastal hex.

IIRC, this was talked about in the early AE days.

IMHO you sould be able to land anywhere physically possible, it forces the defender to spread out (mines as well) and makes invasions of large land masses easier. It isnt easier, because you have to bring massive supplies and support as you are stuck on a beach, not in a port.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.757813E-02