RE: How do you get into WitP? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

BrucePowers -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/2/2009 5:05:15 PM)

With Canoerebel being the exception.

BrucePowers -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/2/2009 5:09:46 PM)

People here are calling it an addiction. I don't really believe it is. As A1WSteve says, you pay for it once. It can take as much or as little time as you desire. (Right now I am in one PBEM and one game against the AI.) This is a hobby. Despite their posts, I have a suspicion that most forum members balance their family, work and hobbies (WITP) fairly well.

Alfred -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/4/2009 8:23:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: richlove

Hi all, new forum member, potential player. I'm curious about WitP but I'm hesitating at the price - $70 is a lot to plunk down on a whim. Is there a demo? Some other way to tell whether I'd actually enjoy the game?

Although there is no demo of WITP available, you could download the free Matrix version of PacWar. That is a DOS game from the early 1990s but it is the grandfather of WITP. If you find the micromanagement level of PacWar too demanding and inappropriate, then you don't have to bother with WITP because its level of detail and micromanagement is considerably more so. Consider PacWar as the canapes for the main meal of WITP.

Alfred

stuman -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/4/2009 5:49:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: richlove

Easy enough. Grand strategy is my sweet spot - I'm currently coming off a Hearts of Iron 2 binge; worked my way through EU2, MOO, Civ1-3, a few others. Played a good deal of tabletop games in my youth - Panzer Leader, DDay, Fleet Series.

The complexity and subject matter appeal...

I jumped from HOI 2 into WiTP as well. I really enjoy WiTP, and I bet you will as well. Since you are familiar with HOI 2, assuming you liked it, then I do not think the micromanaging in WiTP will be daunting. HOI 2 has a world map, and thousands of land units, and economies to run, etc. so you are used to keeping track of a massive amount of data. The major difference for me was that of switching from primarily a land army concept to a sea based one. This is a great game, and I think the most interesting forums around. Plus tbh, I was tired of panzers [:)]

tocaff -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/4/2009 7:30:32 PM)

In human history no greater effort is ever made than in war. 

In gaming WITP stands alone in the effort made and there's no blood, just sweat and tears.  I've always been into war games since I was a kid and naval was the focus.  Hell, in university I did a paper on the Royal Navy from the 1770s through the Napoleonic War.  That was the most fun I ever had in school, most work that I ever did there too.  So WITP was something that was inevitable in my life.

Barb -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/4/2009 8:15:50 PM)

Well to speak truthfully:
I and few of my friends were "playing" various "self-designed" war games. Drawing World onto cross-section paper in size more than 4x3m and then designing ground-air-sea system for world war to based on few books and good amount of guess was pretty fun.
We also drawed ships on paper, cut them out and then throwing an arrow on them to simulate hits, counting bomb weight against ships displacement.
Another system was to draw % of hits. Say you have 9x406mm salvo = 3654 wight of metal. You picked up 20%, well you did 1827 damage to ship displacement... There were nice critical hits too.
One of the most fun naval warfare system was to glue together few cigarette boxes with match-boxes to get a ship-like shape. Throwing little stones indicated hits. Then petards and maroons were applied on hitted spots. After the fight, ships were taken to a pond to see if they survived...

Computers allowed another level like HOI2 lan games or SPWAW pitched battles (each eagainst the other so Allied vs Russians were fighting too).
HoI2 is nice, but relaxing game for me. SPWAW is fine, but land combat. UV was good, WITP is best game now, AE will be NO.1 for me

Ah, those memories.... [:D]

witpqs -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/4/2009 9:42:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

After the fight, ships were taken to a pond to see if they survived...

Now that's the acid test! [:D]

aciddrinker -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/5/2009 9:53:43 AM)

if u dont live in usa, just buy from some reselers, i buyed my copy for somthing around 2€.

Odin -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/5/2009 2:08:03 PM)

This game is the most interesting, life-filling game i´ve ever seen.

I played NO other game with this enthusiasm and fun like this.

Since it comes out, i played it and even when i bought other games, NONE of them can reach WITP, and Iám shure no one ever will ever do-except AE[:D]

madgamer2 -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/7/2009 6:04:26 AM)

I wish I had heard of this forum BEFORE I bought this game in 04. Oh I love the game period and the setting but this game is just to much micromanaging for my old brain. Even against the computer AI at one day at a time ....well I I 68 and could be gone before I ever finished a game.
I do not do well with logistics and with AE being even more in that direction I may not be moving on. Due to a strange accident with my version nuymber and my saved files my latest game is gone and I would have to start a new game and I am not sure I want to go again now that I have a couple of games that I can deal with a bit better.
I have learned in life there are things you really love buyt that is no proof that you will be good at things you love (SIGH) so I am afraid that WitP will not see much time now. Everything these guys are telling you is true and I wish I had there advice before I put myuself through almost 5 years of trying to master this great game...I do wish you luck.....try to keep a real life going to

Madgamer

witpqs -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/7/2009 6:13:41 AM)

Madgamer,

Seriously, research has shown that exercising your brain, meaning actually challenging yourself, will help you keep it longer.

Now just think of the mess you would be in if you hadn't bought it! [;)]

wdolson -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/7/2009 11:57:07 AM)

It's true.  My father is 89 and taught himself Photoshop within the last decade.  He not only is as sharp as he was 20 years ago, most people think he's in his 60s.

Bill

Historiker -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/7/2009 12:20:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aciddrinker

if u dont live in usa, just buy from some reselers, i buyed my copy for somthing around 2€.

Not everyone lives in copy-wonderland Poland [;)]

Anthropoid -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/7/2009 1:39:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aciddrinker

But that is ILLEGAL! _AND_ none too civil!

Ketza -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/7/2009 2:14:04 PM)

When I was very young (10 or so) I used to read books on WWII in the Pacific. I would draw maps of the famous battles and memorize lists of ships and dream up various battles. With my hard earned allowance I would buy model ships in a quest to build my own navy.

Later I cut my teeth on AHs Midway, War at Sea and Flattop. I used to play Flattop with my High school friend Mark until the wee hours of the morning with hypothetical scenarios revolving around Guadacanal. To this day I remember the "perfect mission" where I totally leveled Rabaul with a strike from PM that hit just as dawn broke and caught his planes loaded up on the ground.

Next when I got my first computer in 1982 I played SSIs Guadacanal, Bomb Alley and North Atlantic 86.

Then of course came uncommon valor and then the masterpiece we all play now.

Its always a hit at dinner parties when you can rattle off the entire IJN navy to the ladies. A nice bonus to having a very Niche hobby since you were 10.

[:D]

Reg -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/8/2009 12:14:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ketza

Its always a hit at dinner parties when you can rattle off the entire IJN navy to the ladies. A nice bonus to having a very Niche hobby since you were 10.

[:D]

I never get invited to THAT kind of party.... [:D] [:D]

mg62 -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/8/2009 12:16:42 PM)

I've always liked a mix of stategic as well as tactical simulations.  EU, Victoria, Hearts of Iron, Total War series are the types of stategic games I have enjoyed.  The Close Combat series was always a favorite for tactical, but I started to look for a Naval simulation.  I played Distant Guns for a while, which I enjoyed for the tactical play but not the stategic play. 

I find WitP to be an excellent blend of both.  You need to plan ahead to develope base of operations and prepare your offensives/defences and also there is a great deal of tactical game play with individual ships, single day turns etc. 

I've had this game for just about a year and have no real interest or time for any other games except waiting for AE.  I would say I'm hooked.

richlove -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/16/2011 5:40:09 PM)

Ok, follow up question. Anyone out there successfully played the game on a Mac using Parallels?

kmitahj -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/16/2011 10:11:36 PM)

I'm afraid it is not right place (pretty old thread and not quite related to the question you asked) nor right time (unfortunately very few seem to still play Classic WitP these days).

Anyway I'm sure I have seen Mac platform for Witp topic discussed a few time in past years on this forum. Getting bored waiting ( in vain I'm afraid) for the PBEM opponent I looked up and found one such case:
WitP on MAC. Post #17 by Emilio in particular may be interested to you.

You may also consider posting this question in WPAE forum where you may expect more up to date answers . I think that any MAC solution working for AE should handle Classic WitP as well.

wdolson -> RE: How do you get into WitP? (5/16/2011 10:56:12 PM)

The core game engine between original WitP and AE are virtually the same, so they should work on all the same platforms.  The only hardware requirement for AE that is higher is the RAM.  Without at least 1 GB, it's going to be difficult to run, though some people have done it with 512MB.

I know people have gotten WitP and AE to run fairly easily with Bootcamp.  I would expect it would run OK with Parallels too.  One of the development team had AE running from early versions under Linux and WINE.  If it will run with WINE, it should also run with Parallels.  At least I'd give good odds of it running with Parallels.

Bill

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI