He will be missed. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Yamato hugger -> He will be missed. (3/1/2009 3:19:53 AM)

The first time I heard Paul Harvey on the raido I was driving onto Ft. Benning to report in having just been assigned to the parachute school there. That was 1975, and I have listened to him every chance I got after that. He will be missed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29447376?GT1=43001

John 3rd -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 3:24:04 AM)

Lived all through Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Colorado and heard this man my whole life.  His passing ends an era in talk radio and commentary.

marky -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 3:44:59 AM)

whos paul harvey?

m10bob -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 3:47:44 AM)

Always listened for...."The rest of the story"......G'day!..

scott1964 -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 3:48:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

whos paul harvey?

[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]

Guess your too young to remember him. [8|] I loved to listen to his 'rest of the story" those were cool. [8D]

rogueusmc -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 3:52:02 AM)

quote:

whos paul harvey?

I guess you don't know 'the rest..of the story'

stuman -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 3:57:33 AM)

quote:

whos paul harvey?

Long time radio personality, newscaster. Been around forever. See the above link. Well respected, not the over rated , full of you-know-what type so often on the air. He would start talking about a news item, get to a certain point, cut away for a moment , then come back to flesh out the story opening with " ... And now for the rest of the Story ".

Big B -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 3:57:48 AM)

Sad day.
Obviously our non-American forum members won't know about him, but between him and George Putnam's passing a couple years ago - there goes a era of good-old-American news commentators.

Half-mast on the flag for me.

B

marky -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 4:11:46 AM)

ahh

yeah a few years b4 i was even born [:D]

afspret -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 4:43:04 AM)

I used to listen to him all the time on AFN (Armed Forces Network), a true legend who will be dearly missed.

Marauder Jack -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 5:49:55 AM)

His son has carried on in his father's stead recently.  i've heard him on WJR out of Detroit.

Feltan -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 5:52:14 AM)

I was stunned to learned he was 90 when he passed.

You hear these guys on the radio, and you don't associate an age with them.

I clearly remember listening to him on the car radio as a kid. I used to get annoyed when Dad would make everyone be quiet for Paul Harvey's commentary. Only, as I got older, I did the same things with my kids!

Regards,
Feltan

rockmedic109 -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 9:48:07 AM)

Working with my dad in his shop, we would always stop and listen to "The Rest of the Story."  Makes me wonder if someone has complied his stories on a CD. 

thegreatwent -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 11:52:44 AM)

He didn't outlast his wife by much. Sad to see him go.

khyberbill -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 2:22:34 PM)

In the 60's I went to a small college in a small town in Il. Paul Harvey was a popular person and I probably heard him every day while there. Paul was very astute at the use of words. Our speech class examined some of his commentary and then read the rest of the story from newspapers etc. Paul did tell the truth, however, he would sometimes leave out some of the truth to slant the story. Since that class, I have always been careful not to pass judgment on some news until I hear all the news for a particular story.

rtrapasso -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 2:31:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Working with my dad in his shop, we would always stop and listen to "The Rest of the Story."  Makes me wonder if someone has complied his stories on a CD. 

Since he has been broadcasting since 1951 - it would be a heckuva compilation! [X(] [:D]

Yamato hugger -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 2:59:15 PM)

Rest of the story didnt start until 1976.

rtrapasso -> RE: He will be missed. (3/1/2009 3:51:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yamato hugger

Rest of the story didnt start until 1976.

True, but his one man broadcast "News and Comment" (sort of a precursor to TROTS) went back to 1951... he actually started his broadcast career in 1933 (while still in high school). [X(]

crsutton -> RE: He will be missed. (3/2/2009 6:35:14 PM)

One of the great voices in American radio. I loved to listen to him when I was a kid. He got a little wierd as he got older and "creeped" me out. I really was not into his politics.

Ron Saueracker -> RE: He will be missed. (3/2/2009 10:59:28 PM)

He'll be missed for sure. I'd add another. Cyd Charisse died last year I just noticed. Wow, she was a babe of babes in her time.[&o]

stuman -> RE: He will be missed. (3/3/2009 12:03:31 AM)

I will second that Ron. Man could she dance, and boy what legs.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.734375E-02