Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Falken -> Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/9/2008 2:13:09 PM)

Hi,

If this is in the wrong forum, sorry about that, but I really just wanted opinions from other WITP members.

While playing WITP, I've wanted to try another game (matrix or otherwise) that would be in the same vein as WITP but from a different era.
I've looked up EUIII, HoI, ACW, GalCiv2 and others, but really didn't want to spend hundreds of $ trying to find out (especially these days).

Tried loading up CivIV the other day, but soon realized that it wasn't detailed enough (damn WITP.... see what this game has done to me... :) )

Any suggestions from fellow WITP's would be appreciated. Basically looking for a detailed empire building, wargamiish type of game, but w/tons of details. Came very close to buying ACW, but i'm not american, don't have a lot of experience w/Civil War, so was afraid to buy and not be interested in the subject matter.....

Thanks

String -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/9/2008 2:59:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falken

Hi,

If this is in the wrong forum, sorry about that, but I really just wanted opinions from other WITP members.

While playing WITP, I've wanted to try another game (matrix or otherwise) that would be in the same vein as WITP but from a different era.
I've looked up EUIII, HoI, ACW, GalCiv2 and others, but really didn't want to spend hundreds of $ trying to find out (especially these days).

Tried loading up CivIV the other day, but soon realized that it wasn't detailed enough (damn WITP.... see what this game has done to me... :) )

Any suggestions from fellow WITP's would be appreciated. Basically looking for a detailed empire building, wargamiish type of game, but w/tons of details. Came very close to buying ACW, but i'm not american, don't have a lot of experience w/Civil War, so was afraid to buy and not be interested in the subject matter.....

Thanks

HoI2 comes close to your demands, but the pacific warfare there is kinda lackluster. I'd wait for HoI3 if I were you and wanted to get a HOI game.

Eu3 is the quintessential empire building game. Unlike Eu2 it lets you take an almost totally free path from history after the start (which is a historic position), but within realistic limits. Needs both expansions to have the best experience though.

wdolson -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 1:55:27 AM)

War Plan Orange is based on the WitP engine and is a hypothetical war in the 1920s.  More naval combat and less air.

Bill

Crimguy -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 3:34:09 AM)

I don't know any games that have the per-unit detail of WitP.  The only comparisons I can think of are the HPS games.  I'm a fan of them but they can get tedious after a while.

If you do like detail, I would hightly recommend AGEod's Civil war game.  One of my favorites, but don't exactly expect it to be as dedicated to detail as much as it is to gameplay.

Flying Tiger -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 3:38:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

quote:

Hi,

Thanks

HoI2 comes close to your demands, but the pacific warfare there is kinda lackluster. I'd wait for HoI3 if I were you and wanted to get a HOI game.

Eu3 is the quintessential empire building game. Unlike Eu2 it lets you take an almost totally free path from history after the start (which is a historic position), but within realistic limits. Needs both expansions to have the best experience though.

Pardon my ignorance... but could you expand on the abbreviated titles? what is Eu3? or HOI? While i wait for AE to arrive I to am looking for an alternative, and while i enjoy CivIV it will never keep attention for more than a week or so.

Chad Harrison -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 5:51:26 AM)

May I also suggest The Operational Art of War. It is for sale from Matrix.

While it lacks the empire building portions that you are looking for, it has the same amount of detail with units, TO&E's and so on. The naval and air combat can be lopsided in some scenarios, but the land battles are worth the price of admission. And it comes with quite a few WWII Pacific scenarios, not to mention great PBEM play.

I played TOAW after playing WitP (for years), and was impressed by the similarities.

Hope this helps.

Chad

Cuttlefish -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 6:24:32 AM)

Greetings, Professor Falken. How about a nice game of chess?

Crimguy -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 6:25:38 AM)

HOI - Hearts of Iron.  Fun game.  Continuous time.
EU3 - Europa Universalis 3.  Haven't tried it, but EU was pretty awesome.

BTW, if you would care to expand your mind a bit beyond turn-based games, there are two exceptional titles that I always have to recommend.
1)  Conquest of the Aegean by Panther/Matrix
2)  Take Command:  Second Manassas by MadMinute Games.

The 2nd is an American Civil war game.  ACW is a very interesting time period as it is in many respects the tail end of the Napoleonic era, and the tactics of that period face the harsh realities of rifled weapons, machine guns, and trench warfare to a scale never before seen.

Feurer Krieg -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 6:32:00 AM)

Glad to see a recommendation for Take Command: Second Manassas. I picked it up from Big lots for $4 but haven't get to try it out yet. Usually those $4 games are worth just about that (or less) but I've found some good deals there. I got EU3 there a while back - a steal at $6!

EU3 has its naysayers, but I found it an enjoyable game. I'm also looking forward to trying out HoI3 if I can find the time.

jeffs -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 7:55:38 AM)

The bargain bin is how I got into UV/WITP...A gamestop they had a copy of UV for $6....

Most addictive $6 bucks every spent!

Chris H -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 8:05:36 AM)

quote:

Hi,

You will probably find GalCiv2 the same as CivIVGot in that respect. I bought it two weeks ago and other than starting a game I not finished one, it lacks something and I can't put my fingure on what. One very annoying aspect of the support is you have to download another program to download any patchesas as well as having a login etc.

PS Don't know anybody but for pure entertaiment value in space games I still play Master of Orion 2.

cantona2 -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 5:31:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

May I also suggest The Operational Art of War. It is for sale from Matrix.

While it lacks the empire building portions that you are looking for, it has the same amount of detail with units, TO&E's and so on. The naval and air combat can be lopsided in some scenarios, but the land battles are worth the price of admission. And it comes with quite a few WWII Pacific scenarios, not to mention great PBEM play.

I played TOAW after playing WitP (for years), and was impressed by the similarities.

Hope this helps.

Chad

I agree with Chad 10000000000000000%

CaptDave -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 6:31:14 PM)

Slightly OT reply:

If you're willing to compromise on the "war"gaming aspect, or to extend the definition to include intercorporate economic warfare, I can recommend Railroad Tycoon. Plenty of detail to keep track of -- fewer items to track, but details are imperative! You compete against any number of computer opponents (I've never tried the human opponent option), and the AI is a heck of a lot smarter than I am! You decide where to build your railroad (choosing from a hefty number of scenarios), whether to lay single or double track, what locomotives to use, what cars to put on the train (driven by supply and demand at each of your stations), what features to add to your stations, what industries you might want to buy, and so on. You're also competing at two levels -- your railroad is competing against the others, and your character is competing against the CEOs of the other railroads. All are historical railroad (or in some cases political) characters and will develop strategies true to their former selves. Some are robber barons that will try to buy all your stock and push you aside; others are more interested in growing their properties "fairly."

I agree with an earlier poster that Civ4 can get boring after a while, but I've never reached that point with Railroad Tycoon. My bigger problem is setting it aside too long and forgetting what I was doing (it's exactly the same as WitP in that regard).

Falken -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/10/2008 11:21:47 PM)

Thanks everyone.

Appreciate the feedback.

I know that everyone is different, and we all like different things. This is why I posted this on this forum as at least, I would be able to get feedback from people who have a common reference in WITP.

I'll take a look at all your recommendations.

Again, thanks for the feedback. It's really appreciated.

Gem35 -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/11/2008 12:09:08 AM)

If you like Napoleonic era games you might like Crown of Glory.
There is also an AE(EE or Emperor's Edition} for this game as well.
Plenty of micro-management and depth/replayability.
Great game.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=630

Falken -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/17/2008 3:54:48 AM)

Well,

I may have made some mistakes. I had decided to buy AACW and EU3.

For AACW, I am really trying to like this game. It does indeed have tons of detail, but very stupidly, I am having a real hard time with the map graphics. I know, I know... Stupid since most wargames don't have great graphics, but I don't know, looks very cartoonish. I'm hoping to be able to get past it, but something about it really annoys me. ugh...

As for EU3, realizing very quickly that i'm not a very big fan of continuous time. Nice game and nice detail, but wished it had been turn-based.

I guess I should've bought TOA3.

Just wanted to thank all for your feedback. Once again, WITP has proven that once you've played it, very few games can compare to it.

Falken -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/17/2008 4:28:16 AM)

Ok,,, maybe I should learn to spell as well...

That's TOAW3, not TOA3.

Crimguy -> RE: Slightly OT: Other WITP Games (11/17/2008 4:59:39 AM)

So basically you're a hex junkie?  You're not the only one . . .

With AACW, I love the map, but it can be a bit hard on the eyes.  I really appreciate being able to zoom in and out with the mouse wheel.  Try the overlays - they help a lot when trying to find objectives,  etc.

You'll probably get the most mileage out of TOAW.  My problem with that title is not the overall system itself, which is terrific, but the battle resolution, which is gamey almost to a fault.  Frequently the person who wins a battle is one who has mastered moving troops so that all will maximize their use of the 9 or so pulses - something I could never do :-S

If your against continuous time you might not like Conquest of the Aegean, which is a shame.  Probably the 2nd best wargame Matrix publishes in my opinion.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.197266E-02