Truk help (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Droop -> Truk help (8/25/2008 7:37:31 AM)

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong:
- I've isolated Truk for more than one year (1 SCBG and 1 CVBG are anchored outside Truck harbour
- I've constantly pounded Truk out of Rabaul and neighbouring bases for one year: 12 BB, 12 CA/CL, 70 DD and 200 B-24J + 60 B-25J
And I've just dismally failed my 3rd assault made of 2nd Marines, 1 Raider Btn, V Amph Force, 4 Amph Armor and I US Corps (all fullt trained) launched out of a 100 AP/LC amphibious force (except the V Amph Force which stayed on an AGC TF): assault value 864, adjusted to 18 (Japanese went from 591 to 72)
Result: I US Corps, 4 Amph Armor and 1 Raider Btn disintegrated and the 2nd Marines reduced to less than 20 squads
[:@]

Thank goodness it is against the AI and should not stop me from winning the war second semester 44, but it is fustrating

wild_Willie2 -> RE: Truk help (8/25/2008 7:47:34 AM)

Did you prep your units and Hq's??

btw, you ONLY landed a single infantry division with armour support....

Personally, I would have landed a division or 10......

Droop -> RE: Truk help (8/25/2008 7:56:16 AM)

Yes I preped them all

Regarding the number, I figured that after 1 year of siege and bombardement, defenders should not be able to do much damage... which was clearly a mistake. However if my AV had not been divided by 50, I would have stormed the place (or at least got a foothold).

I want to understand what happened as I'm planning to take Iwo Jima (reason why there were no other troops) and I can't wait 18 months for it to whether down (especially in range of Japan's airbase)

JeffK -> RE: Truk help (8/25/2008 7:56:58 AM)

Only 10 Divs, I suppose if they were mostly Aussie & Marines.

I would have used 15 US Army Divs.

herwin -> RE: Truk help (8/25/2008 9:11:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Droop

- I've isolated Truk for more than one year (1 SCBG and 1 CVBG are anchored outside Truck harbour
- I've constantly pounded Truk out of Rabaul and neighbouring bases for one year: 12 BB, 12 CA/CL, 70 DD and 200 B-24J + 60 B-25J
And I've just dismally failed my 3rd assault made of 2nd Marines, 1 Raider Btn, V Amph Force, 4 Amph Armor and I US Corps (all fullt trained) launched out of a 100 AP/LC amphibious force (except the V Amph Force which stayed on an AGC TF): assault value 864, adjusted to 18 (Japanese went from 591 to 72)
Result: I US Corps, 4 Amph Armor and 1 Raider Btn disintegrated and the 2nd Marines reduced to less than 20 squads

Thank goodness it is against the AI and should not stop me from winning the war second semester 44, but it is fustrating

In reality, Truk was takeable--WPO planned on taking it after Majuro--but it would have been tough. The lagoon was large enough that the IJN surface fleet could shelter out of gunnery range. I believe it was considered a one-division landing. There was too little defensive depth for it to be as defensible as what you're describing, but the ground combat model in the game is badly broken.

castor troy -> RE: Truk help (8/25/2008 9:42:50 AM)

quote:

The defenders arenīt able to do much damage, as you can see their adjusted av looks horrible also. Now I donīt understand why they were able to whipe out your invasion with an adjusted av of 72.

Yamato hugger -> RE: Truk help (8/25/2008 10:31:41 AM)

How long were your troop on them transports?

Droop -> RE: Truk help (8/25/2008 3:43:01 PM)

Not long, just the time to load in Kavieng (~5 days because of the supply in AP) and to travel to Truk

castor troy -> RE: Truk help (8/25/2008 3:46:37 PM)

quote:

Not long, just the time to load in Kavieng (~5 days because of the supply in AP) and to travel to Truk

Never load supplies on the APs! [:-] In this case your troops have a good chance to be unloaded without supply at all. This could be one factor why you had such a bad adjusted av.

Yamato hugger -> RE: Truk help (8/25/2008 4:35:13 PM)

Its true. You want some AKs with nothing other than supply on them unloading from the get-go with the troops.

engineer -> RE: Truk help (8/26/2008 12:17:40 AM)

A few more pointers:
- More infantry (cited above) is a good idea.
- A supply TF of AK's (cited above) is a good idea.
- Make sure your BB's that bombarded were fully loaded with ammo, otherwise they would only be plinking with secondary batteries.
- With an AV of 600 how many defending LCU's did the Japanese have?  If the number of units was relatively low, <10, then I'd recommend doing ground attack missions with your AC.  This would put extra disruption on the Japanese defenders.  The engine seems to tend to select larger AV units as targets, but be sure to launch multiple missions so you could get hits on as many different units as possible.  If the number of LCU's is high, I bypass.  The AI in my game adopted a citadel strategy with 25-50 LCU's on each of Manila, Truk, Palau, Saipan, and the Bonin's.  I took Saipan (28 defending LCU's) in a 1 month fight that included a four division initial wave and eventually had seven divisions on the island.  But if all the units are forted up on a few islands, then other islands won't be held well at all and you can successfully jump deep (Guam,Ulithi, Iwo, Okinawa) against the light residual garrisons.

Droop -> RE: Truk help (8/26/2008 9:56:25 AM)

Thanks for the info. I didn't know this thing about AP not giving supplies to the troops storming off them, will prove most helpfull in future games. [8D]

bradfordkay -> RE: Truk help (8/26/2008 5:09:19 PM)

It isn't that APs don't give supplies... it's just that they unload the troops first. Thus, if they don't completely unload in the first day, you will have unsupplied troops on the ground during combat.

Mogami -> RE: Truk help (9/2/2008 3:25:40 PM)

Hi, Looks like supply (lack of) was the main culprit.  I don't use AP or AK to make opposed landings. I use the vessels built to purpose.  The trick is learning to load for assaults.  First decide what unit is going to conduct the landing. Then form a TF composed only of ships designed to transport troops and unload over a beach. Make the capacity of the TF at least 10 to 20 percent higher then the load cost of the unit.  Then you want to time the landing so that the troops unload during the night portion of the turn.  (Don't ever conduct a landing that requires more then 1 turn to unload)
After you load this first assault unit form a new TF for the second and repeat loading. Then join this TF with first. Keep making new TF and loading unit and combining TF intill entire assault force is loaded. Now add supply ships to TF to drop supply while other ships unload troops. Since you over capacitied the other TF they will also have supply that will unload prior to combat. Make sure a HQ is part of landing. Also engineer units. 

BPRE -> RE: Truk help (9/2/2008 6:32:05 PM)

Hi,

If you only land a part of the unit the fatigue and/or disruption for that part is horrible until the complete unit has landed too. I think that it could make a major difference in a case like this.

/BPRE

John Lansford -> RE: Truk help (9/2/2008 6:42:19 PM)

I managed to take Woleai with the 1st Marine Division, parachute regiment and 4 armor battalions after 4 days of shock attacks.  The 31st Infantry Division was SUPPOSED to land along with the Marines, but their TF commander got cold feet and left for Eniwetok as soon as they arrived, leaving the Marines and their tank support to do it on their own.  The Japanese had two base units, a SNLF and an infantry brigade there plus engineers, all dug in to 9 fort level.

The only thing that kept those Marines alive was the THREE supply TF's of 20+ AK's dumping supply onto them that entire time.  That and the aerial bombardment of every 4E bomber I could get flying off of airbases on New Guinea, and the air support from the CVE's accompanying the landing force.  The 31st finally landed that fourth day along with a base unit of my own and some Seabees, but the Marines did the vast majority of fighting (and dying!) for that atoll...

flanyboy -> RE: Truk help (9/2/2008 9:02:22 PM)

John that battle sounds like a lot of real world war 2 battles. [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI