Detection and Naval Reaction (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

aphrochine -> Detection and Naval Reaction (3/26/2008 9:53:39 PM)

Since I'm new, I guess I can inquire on this.

I was reading over the sequences of the night/day phases and my question revolves around night battles and detection. Since the step which allows a unit to 'react' to enemy TF's for a night engagement happens pretty much before anything else, how does a TF at night go about detecting the presence of an enemy TF so that it may 'react' to it and attack it for a night battle??

ChezDaJez -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/26/2008 10:35:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aphrochine

Since I'm new, I guess I can inquire on this.

I was reading over the sequences of the night/day phases and my question revolves around night battles and detection. Since the step which allows a unit to 'react' to enemy TF's for a night engagement happens pretty much before anything else, how does a TF at night go about detecting the presence of an enemy TF so that it may 'react' to it and attack it for a night battle??

I have never seen surface TFs in different hexes react to one another, day or night. They will only engage if in the same hex. CV TFs can and do react to each other during the day phase.

Chez

aphrochine -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/26/2008 11:25:40 PM)

Ok.  So if I have a Surface TF, and I have React Range = 6, and an enemy TF is detected 2 hexes away prior/during its move, the Surface TF will not change destination and attempt to engage the enemy TF??  ...and React Range only affects Air Combat TFs??  This seems to contradict the manual.

tabpub -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/26/2008 11:31:56 PM)

quote:

Ok.  So if I have a Surface TF, and I have React Range = 6, and an enemy TF is detected 2 hexes away prior/during its move, the Surface TF will not change destination and attempt to engage the enemy TF??  ...and React Range only affects Air Combat TFs??  This seems to contradict the manual.

A surface TF can intercept another surface TF if it is heading toward a friendly base hex as it's destination. Is not automatic; a lot depends on prior detection and probably some randomization involved, skill checks, whatever you like to call them.
Air combat TF's will attempt to react to enemy air combat TF's if the computer idiot thinks it's necessary. There are methodologies out there to prevent this if you feel the need to so.

Gem35 -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/27/2008 12:37:04 AM)

The only way your SC TF will engage the enemy is by ending up in their hex during either night or day reso phase.
As stated reaction involves only if enemy is at a friendly base hex within the reacting TF's maximum range, which is set from 0-6 on it's info box.
TF skipper's aggression and naval scores can help determine also.

aphrochine -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/27/2008 1:12:52 AM)

Thanks.  I see that in the manual now.  My original interpretation was that any combat TF could move towards an enemy TF at sea.

Last question.  What if I park my SC TF on a hex, and during the movement phase, an enemy TF passes through that hex, but doesnt necessarily end the phase on the hex, would my TF engage??

Alfred -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/27/2008 12:29:59 PM)

Just to confuse the issue, I recently had a PT TF located at the base 1 hex SE of Tarawa (stock map) which reacted (it was on 1 hex reaction) to a Japanese bombardment TF which struck Tarawa.  The resultant surface combat occurred at Tarawa.

Alfred

Harald Velemans -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/27/2008 2:19:28 PM)

quote:

Thanks.  I see that in the manual now.  My original interpretation was that any combat TF could move towards an enemy TF at sea.

Last question.  What if I park my SC TF on a hex, and during the movement phase, an enemy TF passes through that hex, but doesnt necessarily end the phase on the hex, would my TF engage??

No. ONLY if both TFs end up in the same hex. In AE it will be different though.

Harald Velemans -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/27/2008 2:21:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Just to confuse the issue, I recently had a PT TF located at the base 1 hex SE of Tarawa (stock map) which reacted (it was on 1 hex reaction) to a Japanese bombardment TF which struck Tarawa.  The resultant surface combat occurred at Tarawa.

Alfred

No Confusion at all. The TF just behaves as it should.
1 hex reaction means "protect all bases in a one hex radius". Tarawa was threatened, the PT-TF reacts accordingly...

Alfred -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/27/2008 2:41:31 PM)

Yes.  I know that, but some people here maintain there are no reactions.

Alfred

Saso -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/27/2008 3:24:13 PM)

quote:

Air combat TF's will attempt to react to enemy air combat TF's if the computer idiot thinks it's necessary. There are methodologies out there to prevent this if you feel the need to so.

Follow a SC TF (with react range 0) is helpful?

quote:

No. ONLY if both TFs end up in the same hex.

Is it the same for SS attack?
If an enemy TF passes through that hex can I intercept it with SS?

pmath -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/27/2008 8:35:08 PM)

There are situations where a surface combat task force winds up in the same hex as an enemy TF in the middle of movement, and engages it in combat while both are moving and surface combat ensues though niether TF has reached its destination/final hex for the turn. Afetr combat they both proceed to their destination to the extent they are able.

John Lansford -> RE: Detection and Naval Reaction (3/27/2008 9:32:53 PM)

If a surface ship TF passes through a hex occupied by a sub there is a chance it may attack.  I've had TF's attacked in successive hexes as they passed through sub occupied areas, and seen it happen to the AI convoys as well.

Trying to intercept an enemy TF in open seas is HARD.  I had a Jap transport TF spotted headed toward Singapore from Rangoon, and sent two cruiser TF's from the Andaman Islands to intercept it based on the anticpated path it would take.  Both failed to intercept, although the TF did stumble across HMS Truant to its misfortune...

The furthest I've seen a combat TF react to an enemy TF is probably 2 hexes, and only when the enemy TF was entering a coastal hex or port.  Open sea?  Never seen an intercept out there.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI