Subs running aground? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition

Owl -> Subs running aground? (11/26/2007 9:49:42 PM)

Does it hur subs to run aground? I've was playing one of the scenarios in GIUK and subs left on their pre-plotted courses were runnng aground near Iceland. I didn't think at the time to check on whether it did any damage or not. One certainly had a problem as it had to surface due to water depth and of course that's not a good thing for a sub to do with P-3's flying about! Apparently some of the pre-plotted courses (by the scenario designer I assume) have the sub deeper than the water is!

CV32 -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/26/2007 10:06:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Owl
Does it hur subs to run aground? I've was playing one of the scenarios in GIUK and subs left on their pre-plotted courses were runnng aground near Iceland. I didn't think at the time to check on whether it did any damage or not. One certainly had a problem as it had to surface due to water depth and of course that's not a good thing for a sub to do with P-3's flying about! Apparently some of the pre-plotted courses (by the scenario designer I assume) have the sub deeper than the water is!

There's a necessary distinction between 'running aground' and traveling in water too shallow for the submarine's intended depth.

If your submarine is transiting in Deep water, and then enters water where the depth is no longer Deep, you'll get a message from your Staff Assistant to that effect and the sub will be automatically 'nudged' up to the next level of depth (ie. Intermediate). The sub sustains no damage in the process.

If, however, your submarine is transiting too close to shore and 'runs aground', it will sustain damage and you may have some difficulty in getting it off the 'shoal' into deeper water.

darknite -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/26/2007 10:28:22 PM)

I'd like a better definition of where 'running aground' happens.  Is it truly 'land' or close to land or ???  And why don't the AI's ships get damaged in this manner?  I had three SAGs cross the SubContinent to engage me in a game last week!

DN

Owl -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/26/2007 10:34:42 PM)

The message said the sub ran aground.  If I'd plotted the course I wouldn't have cared as much as it would be my fault.  In these cases though whoever wrote the scenario plotted the courses and the submarines hit bottom.  One - as I said earlier surfaced and was promptly sunk.  It was a Foxtrot though and I almost hever have found any use for them other than to keep enemy ASW assets busy and away from more useful submarines!

Helpless -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/26/2007 10:41:16 PM)

quote:

..you'll get a message from your Staff Assistant to that effect and the sub will be automatically 'nudged'

Would be good to get the same kind of message when vessels getting close to the ground... So far i'm loosing more ships to fjords then to the enemy torps/missiles [:D]

JudgeDredd -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/26/2007 11:08:37 PM)

Another thing here....is there anyway to tell where the water depth is? I have no idea when sending my units (deep) to change their depth.

Also...I had ships run aground...and from what I can tell, they were in the same depth of water as they were BEFORE they went aground (i.e. I couldn't tell where the water changed depth)

I personally think it's too much like micro management to keep changing your subs depth. If you are moving from deep to shallow water, the sub should automatically go to the next level up to prevent going aground AND you should be told.

And one last thing about "visual"...Idon't see a difference when I change the water option from Light Blue to Textured...it's identical.

CV32 -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/26/2007 11:42:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Another thing here....is there anyway to tell where the water depth is? I have no idea when sending my units (deep) to change their depth.

A weather report from any unit will tell you the water depth in that unit's locale.

quote:

Also...I had ships run aground...and from what I can tell, they were in the same depth of water as they were BEFORE they went aground (i.e. I couldn't tell where the water changed depth)
I personally think it's too much like micro management to keep changing your subs depth. If you are moving from deep to shallow water, the sub should automatically go to the next level up to prevent going aground AND you should be told.

The longstanding issue of "land ships" has come a long way toward resolution, but there are still a few issues to be ironed out. Regardless of what is done to resolve it, I expect there will always be some degree of micro management involved.

quote:

And one last thing about "visual"...Idon't see a difference when I change the water option from Light Blue to Textured...it's identical.

You will only see 'textured' water when you also choose 'textured' land.

JudgeDredd -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/26/2007 11:55:30 PM)

I have textured land on.

(sorry for hijacking the thread)

And fine for the other answers CV32

CV32 -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/27/2007 12:09:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I have textured land on. (sorry for hijacking the thread)

Hmm, if in that case, you're still not seeing a different color for the water, it sounds like you might have a display issue of some kind. Please post in the bug reporting area with your display specs, etc.

lawman -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/27/2007 1:35:33 AM)

I also see no difference with textured water on...all my video drivers are up to date.

Stalintc -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/27/2007 1:38:21 AM)

lawman check this thread mate http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1626313 2 posts down by CV32, check that. :)

It appears textured water is only valid for the WestPac battleset. As confirmed when JudgeDredd checked it out.

edit - Spelling... slap slap

SteveF2006 -> RE: Subs running aground? (11/27/2007 6:04:25 AM)

I always have to laugh when I'm playing Frat Line in the EC2003 line. The French CVBG's inevitably come cruising right through the "foot" of Italy to attack my forces! I thought to myself, wow... we wasted a lot of time building the Panama Canal!! [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
4.882813E-02