Feature Request: Overstacking (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

ceyan -> Feature Request: Overstacking (8/23/2007 4:42:09 PM)

Would it be possible to implement the ability to overstack during movement but then enforce the stacking limits at the end of movement but before combat(through forced pushback or unit elimination)? Right now its impossible to cycle the front line troops when you initiate a big push forward.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Feature Request: Overstacking (8/24/2007 12:38:55 AM)

Err..yes it is........you attack with a stack, then push more troops into the hex they came from.

If your attack failes you then have a seriously overstacked hex, and yuo can launch a 2nd attack using hte fresh troops from it while the tired ones get a rest.

hjaco -> RE: Feature Request: Overstacking (8/24/2007 12:42:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

Err..yes it is........you attack with a stack, then push more troops into the hex they came from.

Just keep attacking [:D][:D][:D]

ceyan -> RE: Feature Request: Overstacking (8/24/2007 6:17:24 AM)

quote:

If your attack failes you then have a seriously overstacked hex, and yuo can launch a 2nd attack using hte fresh troops from it while the tired ones get a rest.

Although my response is going to sound much more snobbish than I really intend to sound, I can't help but make the comment:

Yes... well I like to make attacks that actually succeed, and don't involve my forces retreating/failing.

Besides, what about when you're holding the line? Unless you've got strategic moves to spare it can be difficult in some spaces to remove a full stack of troops that have been pounded and put a new one it. Granted you usually have a few adjacent non-full hexes to work with except during the opening rounds of the push to Paris. Also implementing some sort of overstack penalty/resolution will prevent people from deliberately setting up huge stacks of troops as roadblocks. Verdun and Paris are hard enough to take as is without being able to get 5+ Corps in there.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Feature Request: Overstacking (8/24/2007 6:28:14 AM)

I'm not sure what your point is really.......overstacked hexes are wonderful targets for artillery - put 5 corps in Verdun please - my 3 corps and 5 arty pieces in Metz will massacre tehm all!!

If some places are difficult to get reserves to then..well...they'er difficult to get reserves to - that gives you teh choice of whether to try defending them or not. 

One of the great things about this game is the decision making process - there are all sorts of tradeoffs - making everything easy would spoil it IMO.

ceyan -> RE: Feature Request: Overstacking (8/24/2007 8:08:51 AM)

quote:

I'm not sure what your point is really.......overstacked hexes are wonderful targets for artillery - put 5 corps in Verdun please - my 3 corps and 5 arty pieces in Metz will massacre tehm all!!

If some places are difficult to get reserves to then..well...they'er difficult to get reserves to - that gives you teh choice of whether to try defending them or not.

One of the great things about this game is the decision making process - there are all sorts of tradeoffs - making everything easy would spoil it IMO.

My point was that while advancing with full stacks of reserves you can't shift the front line without stopping for at least two impulses, if not more, and opening up holes (or at least severe points of weakness) in your line. If you were able to overstack during movement you wouldn't be forced to delay so long and cut your lines. Instead you could just move the front line stack on top of your reserve stack, then put the reserve stack in the front line. Like I said there are very few chances where this is an actual problem rather than annoyance...

Its also not so much of a matter of being difficult to get reserves in, its an issue of why can't I send troops to the rear and reserves to the front? It isn't like such things never happened in the war. Instead I have to play ring around the rosie to avoid the stacking restrictions to achieve the same effect.

hjaco -> RE: Feature Request: Overstacking (8/24/2007 10:02:30 AM)

Well it seems you have got the catch of French necessity of reserves [;)]

I admit that during movement deliberate over stacking which after end of movement deliberately "fixed itself" would be helpful.

For now you have to move one corps to a third hex, move the necessary corps and cancel the move on the first corps.

In any case this doesn't help you with your problem of getting mauled units out of the front line. This game is merciless in that retrospect to the defender while having not solid fronts which is the situation at start of 1914 regardless whether the French border looks solid or not.

The game mechanics means that you have to anticipate in advance when it will be too late to withdraw and get out of there the impulse before that. Tricky and takes a lot of learning but it is possible.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Feature Request: Overstacking (8/24/2007 10:14:27 AM)

Ah - gotcha - yes that would be a little easier without affecting game play - sorry I had thought you were talking about something else.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02