Real time? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Highway to the Reich

Banquet -> Real time? (1/12/2006 12:23:34 AM)

I notice that on the slowest game speed setting 1 minute game time takes 1o seconds of actual time. I don't suppose there is an .ini file setting anywhere (nothing jumped out at me when I looked) that would let me change the slow speed setting to actual real time is there?

It would obviously be too slow to play the whole game like that but, at busy times, it would be nice to get a slower game speed occasionally to follow what's going on.. and, because I'm a bit of a saddo.. there is something neat about knowing it's happening in real time.

Then I would probably re-program the next speed button to be what the slow one is at the moment.. and probably leave the fastest speed as it is.

I'm pretty sure this is hard coded, but thought I'd ask! [:)]

Arjuna -> RE: Real time? (1/12/2006 8:52:53 AM)

Yes it is hard coded. Running at actual real time would be VERY slow indeed. That's why we didn't bother with it. I'd have to review that code but I'm sure it could be set. We already have a task in our task tracker database:

TT1074 - UI - Game Speed - More options - incl realtime

CriticalMass -> RE: Real time? (1/12/2006 1:02:55 PM)

perhaps instead of pausing the game it could go into "real time" mode. OK, so perhaps there could be a new "realistic pause" option + the current pause/stop.

Banquet -> RE: Real time? (1/12/2006 7:27:37 PM)

Nice one, thanks Arjuna. I'm sure you have enough to do at the moment but, when planning for another release, it would be a cool option to have I think.

Critical, A 'realistic' pause in addition to an actual pause would be cool. If someone knocks at the door a proper pause is still needed but for the times you need to pause to issue orders the realistic pause would be good for hardcore players and for anyone like me who like watching in real time at certain points.

MarkShot -> RE: Real time? (1/12/2006 8:33:56 PM)

The passage of game time to realtime isn't a hard constant, but varies based on hardware considerations and current game complexity.

With that said, here is a solution for you:

(1) I believe HTTR & COTA continue to run in background when they lose focus.

(2) Look into the software below (not freeware). I use it to reduce CPU cycles allocated to older games to make things like map scrolling smoother. There are other CPU slowdown utilities, but this one under XP will allow you to reduce CPU cycles to just a single process. Everything else you are running will be unimpacted.

http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/moslo.asp

With this software, you can reduce CPU available to the level of an Intel 4.77MHz processor. Certainly, you will be able to find a setting that comes close to simulating realtime.

Another thing which MoSlo allows is a simple hot key to disable/enable it. So, you could disable it to use the interface and not suffer a slowdown and then reenable it to run the game.

By the way, I think playing HTTR/COTA in realtime is insane! :)

I hope that helps.

Banquet -> RE: Real time? (1/12/2006 9:49:42 PM)

Thanks Markshot, I'll try that.

I must add, I'm not talking about playing the whole game in realtime. Just to slow it down during the times when it's all going off. Sometimes during large engagements tanks are dropping like flies, platoons are taking damage and it's hard to keep track.

Or maybe it is a bit mad? [sm=dizzy.gif]

MarkShot -> RE: Real time? (1/12/2006 9:57:35 PM)

There is a pause option.

I hope you will stop with this talk about making the game run slower. Dave might actually listen to you and then, we would all suffer as a result! It's only been in the last few months that he tweaked things and speeded it up!

:)

Banquet -> RE: Real time? (1/12/2006 10:00:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

There is a pause option.

I hope you will stop with this talk about making the game run slower. Dave might actually listen to you and then, we would all suffer as a result! It's only been in the last few months that he tweaked things and speeded it up!

:)

Heh, that's why I posted it here and not in the CotA forums.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI