Another MC Game?

Discuss likes and dislikes, get help and talk about MC tactics, AAR's, etc

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Voriax

RE: Another MC Game?

Post by Voriax »

Winter War ! [;)]

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

We all have our favorites. I know that I do. Matrix, however, would be forced to choose a theme that would be productive for them economically. We just have to face that. Doing a Mega-Campaign that would interest a small number (even though it interests you A LOT!) would probably unfeasible.

So thinking in those terms, [8|] what would be a good production for the gaming community and a profitable investment by Matrix?

WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Hexed Gamer

Post by Hexed Gamer »

I am the sort the doesn't care for beating around the bush eh Bill.

I suggest a case of beer and a visit to David Heath's place over a weekend, and flat out ask him, "so David, what setting do YOU want to do?" :)

Hey I am easy to please eh.

I could list a long list of choices, but in the end, I just want more mega campaigns.
There is only one Hexed Gamer
http://s3.invisionfree.com/Les_s_Place
BruceAZ

Post by BruceAZ »

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

We all have our favorites. I know that I do. Matrix, however, would be forced to choose a theme that would be productive for them economically. We just have to face that. Doing a Mega-Campaign that would interest a small number (even though it interests you A LOT!) would probably unfeasible.

So thinking in those terms, [8|] what would be a good production for the gaming community and a profitable investment by Matrix?

WB

You are probally right, Bill. Look at the MC sales. Do they justify the financial investment, even if much of the work is done with volunteers? Probally not or they would be jumpin' at the opportunity. I don't know how they handle costing (direct or variable) but I would imagine it is closely tied to labor and that can be very high. Why waste the dollars on something that does not generate sufficient income to cover costs?

Might be smarter to just consider a traditional SPWAW campaign with a theme of our own choosing. Then we can share it with the community at large. A volunteer group could be assembled fairly easily and this could keep our minds (and fingers) occuppied until the release of CL.

Recon
Semper Fi
listy the treadhead

Post by listy the treadhead »

Talk about timeing...

I was just thinking about this very subject the other day and I came up with the idea of a resistance campaign in occupied france.

I've been thinking of the missions one could do, and you'd have quite a few werid and wonderul units, with different objectves to normal, for example a slugfest with the Germans is the last thing you want, so the human player has to fight smart.

I even threw a small senario today togeather to test the princeiple out.

BTW: Alow me to re-introduce myself, I worked on Lost Victories as a senario tester, and I even did one of the senario's. But that was years ago.
polkov ivan

Post by polkov ivan »

am i the only one interested in a Russian campaign?
Say like some element from the 8th Guards Army
from Chuikov's bunker in Stalingrad to Hitler's in Berlin?
Wish I could make one myself.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Hi guys!

Been a while, but I'm back!

My vote would be a sequel to Lost Victories, or, as others have suggested, a post Stalingrad, Russian Front MC, as the Soviets.
"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
BruceAZ

Post by BruceAZ »

ORIGINAL: Alexandra

Hi guys!

Been a while, but I'm back!

My vote would be a sequel to Lost Victories, or, as others have suggested, a post Stalingrad, Russian Front MC, as the Soviets.

Hi Alex!

Welcome back - sure miss your great AAR's.[&o]

Wild Bill, if I was to be a "bettin' man", (quote Audie Murphy) I would suggest, from a financial point of view, a Kursk to Berlin MC with many tank battles and the AI going against the Russians. There is a great interest in area and probally would do well as a MC.

Recon
Semper Fi
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Thanks Bruce.

Dunno how soon I'l go back to AARing. It's harder doing them real time like I do with a two year old demanding attention all the time. And, by the time she's [>:] then I'm normally to frazzled to focus on AARs. But, that doesn't mean I still don't play!

As for MC's, here's another idea. If I understand SE right (and, yes, I still need to get it, and I will), it's basically 4 smaller campaigns, right? Each built around a Para Regiment of 101.

Why not do something like that, except multi-nationally? What you could do is have a series of unit based mini MCs. You could for example use SSLAHs Recon Battalion during Operation Mars, when it was basically the QRF for the entrire German Defense. You could follow a Marine Raider Battalion's history in the Pacific, maybe do the same for an Aussie unit, a British one in the Desert, or post D-Day, and ditto for the IJA, and the Red Army.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and if we do do this again, consider me available for testing, etc, Col. Wilder, sir :)
"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

I've given some thought to that type of campaign. The setup of MC makes that impossible. Your "Core" force is going to be the same all the way through. That is, if you choose Russian troops, they will be Russian troops, regular infantry, guards, cavalry, etc.

If it were possible to set up such an MC one would have to have different core forces for each theater of operations.

Perhaps one day such a thing will exist for the long awaited Combat Leader. It would be a very nice feature and give great latitude to the making of Mega Campaigns.

Good to see you back Alex. Hope the baby and Mama are well.

Wild Bill
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

What about a Downfall MC? The US Invade Japan in March of 46. Lots of cool late war equipment plus a fanatical defender make for certain fun! You could even make a Russian option where you invade from the North and race the US to Tokyo.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Roland Rahn DID start on an independent series of scenarios for "Downfall", but unfortunately he never completed it.

You might want to try e-mailing him so he can send you a copy of it. I had a copy, but it was on my old PC (which suffered an untimely demise). [:(]

It's unlikely that there will ever be another full-scale MC, but there are several mini-campaigns available (see http://spwaw.com) .
Capt. White

Post by Capt. White »

8. Hypothetical Invasion of England
9. Hypothetical Invasion of the Middle East (Rommel breaks through to the Suez)
10. Hypothetical Invasion of Australia by the Japanese

I think Those three would be brilliant. I think that it would be cool to act as the allies on the defensive starting by losing ground badly and then in the latter parts of the campaign either halting the attack or pushing them back. There is great potential for those to be made from either side there could be 2 campaigns 1 running from each point of view.
Also a hypothetical Invasion by the warsaw pact countries through germany would be cool. With the NATO coutries stratagy to be to defend for as long as possible before renforcements arrive. Though the time may not be completly right. Speaking to some vetrans based in Berlin after the war ended they express that they were not at all suprised by the cold war.

This would be good because most of the Forces for the british from 1947 to 1949 were infact used in the early years of the cold war i dont know about the french americans or any other countries though. It could start with russian tanks rolling through the streets of berlin and end somewhere in holland belgium or western france. Pretty Lengthy comment but i got carried away i can see it all unfolding in my head i just dont have the skill to make them.
- Captain T. L. White
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

They would make some nice battles. Time is always a factor with me today. I thought when I retired from my job that I would have more time. Now I wonder how I ever had the time to go operate that big 10 ton 40 foot bus through the streets of Atlanta for 24 years! [X(]

Perhaps someone will, one of these days.

WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
JTK

Post by JTK »

What about a MC which tells about the wars between Finland and the Soviet Union? The Soviet Union tried to invade Finland a couple of times, but doesn't succeed. The wars between Finland and the Soviet Union were extremely exciting. For example Finnish troops were able to stop the Soviet attack on Tali-Ihantala area where the largest military battle in Nordic history was fought from June 25 to July 6. Finland MC could contain a lot of different types of missions (for example guerilla missions behind the enemy lines and so on).

Randy

Post by Randy »

I think a MC about the Russo-Finish War would be a good idea. Not too much has been done in that area. A couple of other ideas could be:
1)The Brits fighting the Japanese in India. You would also be able to fight using Indian troops against the Japanese.
2)A MC about the Sino-Japanese War. Start with the Japanese attacks in 1937. The human player would be the KMT and you could fight the Japanese as well as communist guerrillas.
3)A hypothetical MC of the Germans facing the Japanese in the Middle East/India. I think I remember a scenario of this in the original SP! This could be interesting!
Just some ideas.
Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear
DingoSaar

Post by DingoSaar »

Don't know if this would be a Mega-Campaign; if it was a Campaign, so much the better.

I would like the Ruhr Kettle? Cauldron?, German Ruhrkessel, where the USA did close in the Germans in the Ruhrgebiet. The Ruhrkessel was closed and held until the front was far more to the East.

In the Ruhrkessel, area leaders (Gauleiter) still proclaimed final victory, the GeStaPo murdered many a dissident (also executed were people knowing too much), and some pretty high-up Nazi leaders got the chance after spending many a young German's life to see recognition and attain high positions in the Federal Republic under Adenauer, being cleaned by the Allied Control Council.

I would like to play the Ruhrkessel; my grandfather was evacuated, along with his family (including my mother), from Dortmund to Störmede village 1945. On Good Friday of 1945, many people were executed in the Rombergpark in Dortmund (there's a memorial today); my grandfather was on the list, and Combat Group Kane (I hope somewhere, there's also a memorial for them) reached Störmede some days later - nevertheless, the "Herrenmenschen" of the GeStaPo seemed to have been to frightened to take him from Störmede in time (which I rejoice).

If somebody knows the battle, and can put it into a (Mega-)Campaign, I think it would be an interesting one.

Yours
Ralf Hagen
,,Sie schreien nach uns um Hilfe, wenn ihnen das Wasser in das Maul
rinnt, und wünschen uns vom Hals, kaum als einen Augenblick dasselbige
verschwunden.''
Prinz Eugen von Savoyen 1704
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

If it were ever done, it would have to be a mega, mega-campaign. I personally don't know if I could be up for it. You can't imagine the amount of work put into such a probject until you have done it. I've done it three times and the last one left me with a case of burn-out, something I've never had before. Took awhile to get back into the swing of things.

Still, it was a most rewarding experience. I learned from each one to prepare me for the next.

My gut instinct tells me that the paying audience would best support a German-Russian campaign from Stalingrad through Kursk.

Perhaps using Manstein as the guiding force, attempting to get to Stalingrad, and then setting up the situation for Kursk...Now that would be a tremendous Mega Campaign!

Perhaps from the point of view of a Tiger Company, part of the 4th Panzer Army.

That would not be my personal preference but I think it would be a grand mega-campaign.

All suggestions up to now have been good ones. I'm looking at it from a gaming company's point of view but then I might be wrong about that too [X(]

Wild Bill
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Return to “Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW”