TOAW vs Rising Sun

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Pippin

TOAW vs Rising Sun

Post by Pippin »

For those who have TOAW and Rising Sun, I'm curious how the average person would rate/compare them.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Wolfie1

RE: TOAW vs Rising Sun

Post by Wolfie1 »

I don't think that they can be compared, they are totally different games trying to do different things. Of the two, TOAW is more flexible.

Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.....
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Agreed, the comparison would be be pretty meaningless. It would be like comparing BiN with SPWaW (and you could say there that SPWaW was "more flexible"). All you can really do say is which you prefer playing, which is likely to depend more on the game scale and scenario matter than anything else.
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Well, you *can* compare Apples to Oranges. (I like oranges better). ;) From a person who has played both, I must say that I heartily prefer TOAW. Not to detract from RS; but TOAW has a much broader scope, and was imo more enjoyable and flexible.
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

I do remember a lot of TOAW players did get into Rising Sun, so that had made me wonder...
Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

I did too. RS was a good game, but I'm more of a European Theatre kind of guy (for WWII at least), and I hate being limited to a certain set of scenarios, etc.
palmdogg

Post by palmdogg »

Rising Sun has better music! Seriously, much as I love them both, TOAW is better, because of its replacement system, logistics, and other realistic aspects of warfare that most games don't mod.
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

Understood. Well I needed to make room on my HD for Civ IV (hehe). I gave Rising Sun the boot.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”