Allied Occupation of Iran

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Daykeras

Allied Occupation of Iran

Post by Daykeras »

The country's pro-Axis allegiance in World War II led to Anglo-Russian occupation of Iran in 1941

I found that tidbit. So Russia was involved in the occupation directly, and Iran was most likely pro Germany. Now to find out where exactly Russia held and with what it held it.

The search goes on!

(Has a vested interest in this subject. Is mostly Iranian)

Edit!!:

1939: German infiltration. Shah Riza conducts a politics friendly towards the interests of the Axis states.
1941: Allied occupation of Iran. Shah Riza abdicates, and his son Muhammad Riza Pahlavi takes over the position as Shah.
1943: Iran joins the Allied side in the war.
1947: Start of a US-Iranian cooperation in developing the oil industry.

Some interesting info there as well...

Well written, has a lot of information. I am currently reading about the joint Brittish-Russian occupation of iran.

http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/us_iran.html

So it seems Russia had invaded Iran with the Brittish in 1907 and again in 1941. I have definately learned something.
silodhlehan

RE: Allied Occupation of Iran

Post by silodhlehan »

More,

In January 1942 Britain and Russia signed an agreement with Iran to respect Iran's independence and to withdraw their troops within six months after the end of the war. In 1943 Tehran Conference U.S. reaffirmed this commitment. In 1945, the USSR refused to announce a timetable to leave Iran's northwestern provinces of East Azerbaijan and West Azerbaijan, where Soviet supported autonomy movements had developed. The USSR withdrew its troops in May 1946; this episode was one of the harbingers of the emerging Cold War.

http://www.mideastweb.org/iranhistory.htm
Daykeras

Post by Daykeras »

And both the Brittish and the Russians held Tehran at the same time in early 1941.

What's more surprising to me than knowing the Russians were directly involved, which was pretty cool to know, is the fact the Germans had nationalists in Iran vying for power.
Drax Kramer

Post by Drax Kramer »

Iranian government was pro-German the same way British government was pro-Soviet. It would be more appropriate to say that Iranians (as well as Iraqis) were anti-British.
Daykeras

Post by Daykeras »

I suppose that's close, but not strictly true. They appear to be quite a bit more buddy buddy than that. Not much, granted, but more so.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”