New Player's guide to GGWaW Top 10 list

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

ratprince

New Player's guide to GGWaW Top 10 list

Post by ratprince »

Hey new players! I have compiled a list of the Top 10 mistakes I made as a new player and seem to be common mistakes across the board. While this is in no way exhaustive or a complete list of mistakes/important points, it is a pretty good start! Sooooo...if you are new to GGWaW and dont want to get "reamed" on turn one, then here are a few words of wisdom....

10) Germany - Make sure you TAKE france on turn one. To do this you must NOT use tanks in taking the Low Countries.

9) Allies - Be absolutely certain to start researching ASW (anti-sub warfare) RIGHT AWAY! You must be able to sink Germany's sub fleet quickly.

8) Russia - Make certain that you dont pull all of the troops from Karelia or Finland will become active. Always leave at least one infantry there.

7) China - rail move your factories back to Chungking immediately! Hole up there and slowly repair them with supplies from WA and Russia.

6) Japan - DO NOT attack inland China unless you are certain you arent going to invade Russia as well. If you occupy an inland China province AND attack Russia - in comes the U.S.A.

5) Germany -Do not attack Northern Persia unless you are ready for the Soviets to come in. They become unfrozen if you do.

4) Allies - Make sure you have troops in Scotland, enough to withstand a paradrop and air assault. This is not the end if scotland falls, but is very annoying and difficult to overcome.

3) Russia - Watch out for German paratroops in Rumania. A bomber can transport them across the Black Sea to the Causcus and "poof", no more 6 resources. Always garrison Caucus, even if it seems impossible to attack. They will find a way to hit it if it is undefended.

2) Japan - Make sure you dont end a subs movement in a frozen sea zone. This will unleash the U.S.

1) [font="Times New Roman"]Germany - ALWAY GARRISON ITALY on turn one. A safe "land" garrison in both provinces would comprise 2 milita, 1 infantry, 1 AA, 2 arty. This will pretty much guarantee safety, especially if the Italian fleet is in the Central Med. Any less than these forces and you risk losing all of Italy. the troops are not needed per se anywhere else in Europe, so protect it at all costs.[/font]

Well, there is my brief list of important new player mistakes and "must-dos" Anybody else, feel free to add to this list and maybe we can create a "New PLayer's Guide" to help out those that want to start, but feel overwhelmed.

Good luck new guys and gals! There are always "friendly" experienced players out there to ask questions of! No question is a dumb question!

later!

Mike
"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."
CharonJr

RE: New Player's guide to GGWaW Top 10 list

Post by CharonJr »

Very nice list, 2 more things come to my mind here.

Germany:

If you send 2 fleets to the Baltic Sea for the Scandinavian ressources, be sure to take Denmark and garrision it with artillery and a flak/fighter in order to keep the Allies from sinking those transports.

All nations:

If you play with advanced supplies make sure to have one supply for each province that can be attacked this turn and 1 additional one for each province with partisans in the province or right next to it.

CharonJr
color

Post by color »

ORIGINAL: mike mcmann

5) Germany -Do not attack Northern Persia unless you are ready for the Soviets to come in. They become unfrozen if you do.

That goes for Turkey as well.

Jorgen
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Interestingly, *Southern* Persia is fair game. I took it in my first PBEM game, and Russia didn't awaken. :)
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

More intersetingly, by taking southern Persia with teh Germans, the north becomes Wallies terratory and denies the easy resource to Russia![;)]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

2) Japan - Make sure you dont end a subs movement in a frozen sea zone. This will unleash the U.S.

Does this mean a Jap sub can pass THROUGH a frozen sea region as long as it ends up in an unfrozen region at the end of its turn without 'awakening the giant'?

I was under the impression that jap subs were locked in the Pacific by the frozen regions. But if the sub can pass through to the other side, it could perhaps help Germany in the North Atlantic?
RodentDung

Post by RodentDung »

ORIGINAL: GordianKnot

I was under the impression that jap subs were locked in the Pacific by the frozen regions. But if the sub can pass through to the other side, it could perhaps help Germany in the North Atlantic?

If the subs are going to help Germany against the allies, then unfreezing the zones or starting the war in some other rude manner would still be a prerequisite would it not? [;)]
Pepper is stored in kegs at peppermills which rodents find nice to bed in at night. Pepper therefore is estimated to contain between 0.01 and 0.03% rodent dung in it which ends up being ground along with the rest of the goods.
RodentDung

Post by RodentDung »

Ah, and could we have some rhetoric about heavy bomber prevention please? I haven't been up against them yet so I need some training in their handling.
Pepper is stored in kegs at peppermills which rodents find nice to bed in at night. Pepper therefore is estimated to contain between 0.01 and 0.03% rodent dung in it which ends up being ground along with the rest of the goods.
RodentDung

Post by RodentDung »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

More intersetingly, by taking southern Persia with teh Germans, the north becomes Wallies terratory and denies the easy resource to Russia![;)]

I hope a future patch will fix this and make the north join Russia if Germany takes the south.
MrQuiet

Post by MrQuiet »

But if a Japanese unit attacks any WA unit you have started war with US. So be ready for that.
Also how would you supply japanese subs in the Atlantic? or where would you 'port' them?
ratprince

Post by ratprince »

You cant "pass through" forzen zones with unfriendly units at all. So no Japanese subs in the Indian ocean... too bad though.... [;)]

Mike
"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."
MikeBeach

Post by MikeBeach »

Thank you very much for the help. Actually, does anyone know if the tutorial for turn one is the "appropriate" moves to make for Germany on turn one? I am trying to get started but quite honestly I feel overwhelmed.

Thanks again,
Michael
Michael
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Good list Mike. The only one I question somewhat is number one. Post patch 1.033 Italy only surrenders when the Allies control three of the following: Tripoli, Sicily, Southern Italy or Northern Italy. Italy still needs adequately protected but maybe not with all the units you suggest for turn one. If you put at least a one militia in Sicily and Tripoli, it is unlikely the Allies can force an Italian surrender on turn one. That said, don't make it easy for them to raid (invade, capture and leave) Southern or Northern Italy as it will destroy all factories and resources: a costly proposition to repair.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
a511

Post by a511 »

IMO, there are no "appropriate" moves in this game. of course im not telling u not to take france and denmark in turn 1, but the remaining moves, and yes incl. the invasion of Norway (i know a lot of ppl will disagree for not taking Norway ...) is all up to ur own war plan. what makes the moves "appropriate" are those moves that suit ur war plan. and that involves tons of strategic thinking and planning, and thats the reason i love this game![8D]

AN
5cats

Post by 5cats »

For Germany on turn 1, here are 4 Must Do things:

Attack Denmark with 1 Infantry (duh!)
Attack Netherlands with 4 Inf, 1 Arty & 1 Flak (You'll want the arty & flak there for turn 1 protection anyhow, the odds are 0.81 attacker losses and 4.74 defender, you don't want any Inf surviving and retreating to W. France!)
Move your Stuka from W. Germany to Netherlands, THEN use it to attack the arty in W.France (you NEED it IN Netherlands to threaten England next turn!)
Attack W.France (after the arty is knocked out, use Bombers if neccessary) with 5, 6 or 7 tanks as suits your fancy :) If 3 get damaged , you will have a long and difficult game :(

The rest is up to you! Good luck!
No Will but Thy Will
No Law but the Laws You make
Drax Kramer

Post by Drax Kramer »

ORIGINAL: 5cats

Attack W.France (after the arty is knocked out, use Bombers if neccessary) with 5, 6 or 7 tanks as suits your fancy :) If 3 get damaged , you will have a long and difficult game :(

I still remember how my Germans failed to clear Western France in tutorial. It completely confused the program who clearly did not expect for such unlikely thing to happen. [&:]
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

What would really be cool if there was a top 10 for the western allies. I just started 2 days ago and i'm getting my <bleep!>[X(] handed to me. its a good game though, i like it a lot.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
aauminki

Post by aauminki »

Well, one of the things for the WA would be to hurry up and research ASW ASAP.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

I did, the 2nd time I played though, I made lots of destroyers in addition to researching ASW. Those darn U Boats! I also took over the top African Vichy countries early this time.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
silodhlehan

Post by silodhlehan »

ORIGINAL: Drax Kramer

ORIGINAL: 5cats

I still remember how my Germans failed to clear Western France in tutorial. It completely confused the program who clearly did not expect for such unlikely thing to happen. [&:]
I played it several times before I figured that out. whats wrong with taking paris out on turn 2??? Ouch.

Misc newbie errors made am making
I never built enough supplies no matter who I seem to play.

Not knowing how resource points, factory points and supplies tie together.

Not worrying about -pop values in the production phase.

How do you get rid of the 3,000 auto saves?

Not knowing how partisans work.

Sea invasions boy did I bomb that class![:D]

Biggest mistakes as WA

trying to up the number of supply points transports carry.

Not building tons of transports.

Thinking there is no effect when transports are not linked.

Not building enough lite fleets to protect transports.

As China

Playing them and watching the world go by as Japan never moves inland,,,
your factories suck, you never have supply,

Russia
Seems you can move from frozen areas to ones that aren't.

Reparing resources in germany austria where it takes away from the number of units you can SR.

Repairing the factory in kiev thinking I could run away with it the same turn.

In 1941 having units being built in Kiev byleorussia, leningrad & one other within 2 areas of the german border that take more than one turn.

Germany

I like to hit paris with 7 armour Heavy air and airborn. though the airborn doesn't do well. Plus have a fleet to do bombardment. I don't like units to die.

Forgetting about the sub on the ocean.

Forgetting to move a fleet out to bombard w france.

Taking so long with sealion that you make the russians happy.

Putting so many land units in the med VS WA that the russians are happy.

Not having flak/arty in all costal areas.

Leaving the flak arty in s france if you hold gibraltar and the allies activate vichy.

Not blocking the Med via taking gibraltar.

Not taking the bit of spain on the south shore of the med and letting the UK put aircraft there after you took gibraltar. "How come they keep bombing italy?"

not using real infantry to defend italy. Gamey I know.

Not building transports to take out crete or scotland if they empty.

Taking norway if you plan on sealion.

Not moving in a crapload of units if you take scotland.

Not cleaning out yugoslavia in 1 attack at good odds. Those romanian militia are to hunt partisans.

Not encircling 1 or 2 land areas when you attack russia. Its so nice to read that infantry can't withdraw.

Japan
Know what you will do with those fleets in advance.

Moving into china when you will not also declare on russia and unexpectedly losing the blackmail the US gives you.

"How come my production dropped?"

Not having enough supply points to fix production points.

Not hitting a vital enemy spot whether its the factories in California, Russia, China, Australia or India. You have to hurt the enemy at the source. Not just get supplies from the dutch east indies.

***disclaimer***

having said all that I might change all or none after my next learning experience!

[:D]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”