UFO: Aftershock

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

watchtower

UFO: Aftershock

Post by watchtower »

For any of you who loved the Xcom series this is a got to have. I wasn't keen on Aftermath and was wary of this but it is a return to form and is the best since Terror from the Deep. I got it Saturday - loaded it Sunday night as was recovering from a 60 hour party[:D][:D][8D] and it rocks. Lotta bugs but a lotta fun. 40 hours of playing so far and its getting better and better. I know 40 hours since sunday[:-]

But hey i'm the idle rich ( actually I'm just idle - us resting actors are allowed to be that)[:D]

Best squad action since JA2 ( beats the pants off Silent Storm)

Marc von Martial

RE: UFO: Aftershock

Post by Marc von Martial »

I´ll check it out, pretty broad statements there in your post [;)][:D]

I was all over JA and Silent Storm.

watchtower

Post by watchtower »

Yeah, well I am broad in stature, mind and soul and my statements are in general mis-guided and unwholesome and that is just the way I like it.[:D]

Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

I love Silent Storm.... Except I learned very quickly, in a 4 story building, don't use the big AT grenades on the first floor. I threw one once, and the entire building fell on my entire squad. Never laughed so hard at a game in my life.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

I just didn't like the storyline much and found the AI too frustrating and it was way too linear. Some bits were just draw dropping in the way you could destroy almost everything. Most of the time I just destroyed myself with grenades and rushing in Gung ho cos the close up battles were such a laugh.

BTW in UFO: Aftershock the physical modeling of the landscape is fantastic. You can shoot an alien on top of a hill and watch him bounce down the cliff to land at your feet.

Brolin

Post by Brolin »

ORIGINAL: watchtower

Best squad action since JA2 ( beats the pants off Silent Storm)

/signed

Silent Storm was fun, but UFO: Aftershock is awesome. My "Game of the year", so far ..
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

This game is seriously damaging my social life. The addictive factor is getting to the point where I may need counciling soon[:D]

Barrold

Post by Barrold »

I really liked the demo and would like to get the full game. I would be curious to hear about any critical bugs, but it doesn't sound like there are serious showstoppers. One of the features I saw in the demo looks very interesting and that is the ability to composite weapons or other devices to create new items.

I liked the graphics, the atmospere (mirroring the original in many ways), and the level of detail and options involved.

BDH
None of this is my fault.
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

It is fairly riddled with odd bugs but no big show stoppers. A patch is due within a week or so to address major issues. Some are having a problem with the starforce copy protection and slowdown issues. These seem connected to hardware sound and badly fragmented drives!! You can get an idea of the bugs from the forums on the Aftershock website. Personaly I have only had a couple of CTD's in about 50 hours of play and the odd bug strike pinching a couple of inventory items and eating them.

http://forum.ufo-aftermath.com/index.php?showforum=7

steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

It looks interesting. I loved the original UFO: Eneny Unknown and Terror From The Deep, but very rapidly went off the series after that. I confess I hadn't realised this was coming out.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

Well if they are your benchmark you will not be disapointed. I was a fan since Rebelstar on the Sinclair spectrum in 84. That was then put onto several format's including the Atari 800 - C64 etc as Rebel star raiders and a follow up called lasersquad. These was the first game from the boys who went on tho do the Whole Xcom stuff. They done the laser squad Nemesis e-mail only game recently but I think the whole thing went belly up. I don't think the original Brit guys had much to do with things after Terror from the deep, there are rumours that thay had some input on this.

This game is very much a blast from the past. [8D]

Zap

Post by Zap »

This game is seriously damaging my social life. The addictive factor is getting to the point where I may need counciling soon

I hold counciling sessions as needed[:D][:D][:D][:D]
bartholimew

Post by bartholimew »

seems more and more games are not initially released in North America, if at all. Aftershock isn't here yet. Silent Storm 3 has no interest in finding a NA publisher and The Fall is beyond extremely delayed. To name a few similar type games.
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

I bought this game and then returned it within two weeks and went back to playing XCOM:TFTD. I found it dull and repetitive, esp. playing the same maps all the time. I was very disappointed as I love the xcom games but this is not in the same class. Personally I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Be warned, it also uses the Starforce protection system. Spending 10 minutes getting the game to run each time you want to play does nothing for your humour in the first place.

watchtower

Post by watchtower »

I am still playing it and still like it. The patch is out now which has resolved a lot of earlier issues. Personaly I never had any problems with the Starforce copy protection but a fair few players have. Some 'early game' maps are a bit repetitive but this impoves as you get further into the game IMHO. On hard/ironman settings its a good challenge and for me the best of its type since JA2.

Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Any body go here ?

it is a good site, and does Mods for the game (Aftermath/Aftershock)

http://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=idx

Return to “General Discussion”