Civ IV question

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Cmdrcain

RE: Civ IV question

Post by Cmdrcain »

Hummm

Looks like another game to be put on a waiting list since it demands a 64MB video card, sure a 32 mb cards a bit of a clunker but its just another game which looks to be simply more "graphical" and not really better in its guts... graphics can over shadow its guts..

When I decide to upgrade my PC for better then just some game to play is when such as these companys will get my money..

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

I loved Civilisation.

I still have Civ II on my home PC, haven't played in a while, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I never played CivIII, because by then I'd gotten into Alpha Centauri...and then Alien Crossfire. CivIII looked like a backward step, to me. YMMV of course! [:)]

This....looks very, er, current. 3D graphics where they're not necessary, simplified to the hilt, aimed at console players perhaps? Whatever, it may be Sid Meier's Civilisation, but it sure as heck doesn't look like mine.

Edit: That may have been a tad hasty. I guess that, based on reading more reviews, I'll keep a watching brief, rather than dismissing it out of hand.

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

I would like to see a remake of Colonization - that was fun. Civ 3 was a bore for me - sold it after 2 weeks and went back to Alpha Centuri. Still play that sometimes. At the moment though, UFO: Aftershock is rocking my boat.

Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

I would like to see a remake of Colonization - that was fun.

Indeed, I loved that game.
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

I believe you can vote on which remake you'd like to see on Firaxis's site.
steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

Remake? Heck, I think I'll just fire it up again, as is... assuming it'll run under XP.[:(]

OTOH making the game more moddable would be fine and dandy with me, too.

Steve.
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

Wish I still had my Colonization disc - think it my be buried somewhere in my parents atic. Let us know if it runs under XP. If it does I may have to pay my folks a visit and dig it out. I have been looking for an excuse to root out my old Flintloque figures which are buried with all my old win 95 and Dos games - so this might do it.

ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

hey Watchtower, you can download it from underdogs.com it's Colonization for Windows, it works on XP for me, but, no sound ;(
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

ORIGINAL: watchtower

Wish I still had my Colonization disc - think it my be buried somewhere in my parents atic. Let us know if it runs under XP. If it does I may have to pay my folks a visit and dig it out. I have been looking for an excuse to root out my old Flintloque figures which are buried with all my old win 95 and Dos games - so this might do it.
Ah. Slight problem - I seem to have removed my .zip file which held Colonisation. Darn.

I'll see if I've still got it at home, later.

Steve.
steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

I was going to ask, but figured it might not be a good idea on these forums. [;)]
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

I think the rule of thumb is one can't put up a "link" to underdogs, but, I've seen several mention it in posts as I did. If I'm wrong I'm sure one of the Matrix officials will come knocking on my door soon. ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

For all those that think Civ IV is a "twitchfest" go here:

http://www.kalikokottage.com/civ3/sulll ... alk_1.html

Great in-game shots!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

Thanks, but is this official abandonware? Don't like the idea of ripping Sid off in any way.

I do have the disc somewhere though - and did pay £30 for it about a hundred years ago so snatching a copy...............[:D]

Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
I would like to see a remake of Colonization - that was fun.

Indeed, I loved that game.

I still play it at times, no problem playing it under XP either..

Its one drawback is the graphics is ancient heh but still great to play....

Battlestar Pegasus
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

ORIGINAL: watchtower

Colonization runs ok for me under Xp home, I have a 1.8ghz Pentiun 4 with 512MB ram, video is an older 32mb all in wonder radeon 7200 based agp card.

What I did do to run it is:

Run in windows 98/me compat mode
Use in properties also:
EXTENDED (XMS) 2048MB and check the uses HMA
so game has a 2MB XMS memory area like the older
dos/windows 16 bit games used..

If I recall right, Colonization was a DOS game
so it expects 640K ram conv and up to 2MB or so XMS and a HMA memory area.

Battlestar Pegasus
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

Thanks Cmdrcain, nice tip.

oooh - like getting a new game.

Matrix - pick the Colonization code up and you might have your first million seller[:D][:D][8D]

Larac

Post by Larac »

Installing it atm.

Will give 1st look when I pull myself away.

Lee
watchtower

Post by watchtower »

Colonization runs ok for me under Xp home, I have a 1.8ghz Pentiun 4 with 512MB ram, video is an older 32mb all in wonder radeon 7200 based agp card.

That rig would have made ol Sid gasp with wonder and delight in 1992 or whenever it was. Very Colonization. Like swapping glass beads for gold[:D]

I Think I was trying to run it on a 386/15 (maths co proccessor - very posh, very expensive - total rubbish)

4mb Ram ( paid £200 for that!!)

512k graphics card

Think it cost about £2000

- And I am still buying all this stuff every 2 years to keep up!!

I am trying to work out in which year I lost my mind to playing computer games and it might be 1979 with the Sinclair ZX80. 1K ram - cos it had a game called Battle for Normandy, all in 1K!!! - It wasn't very good[:D]

Pippin

Post by Pippin »

I seem to be running new games fine, even on my boxes which are half a decade old. Most games these days seem to rely 99% on the graphics card power, than anything else. All I do is upgrade the card about three times throught my CPU's life.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…
pterrok

Post by pterrok »

For the life of me I can't understand why they went to a nice round world and yet STILL USE SQUARES!!! Haven't they heard of HEXES??? Arrrgh!

I was heavily into Civ III, played the Game of the Month over at http://www.civfanatics.com and would probably think about getting Civ IV if I had any time to play it.

(For the record, Korsun Pocket was the game that broke my Civ III addiction!)

Return to “General Discussion”