LOL what timing

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, simovitch, harley, warshipbuilder

Hard Sarge

LOL what timing

Post by Hard Sarge »

funny, a week ago, I started reading a new book, and it is about BoB, so been wanted to fire up BoB anyway, found the disk and started up a new game, to get back into the feel of things

trying to be sneaking and all, I plot my GE raids, and get started

at 05:59, the GB put up 310 planes !!!!!!

at 06:00 I put up 10

Oops

best part is I snuck in underneath them and got away before they could catch up

sneak raiders are GREAT

Speedysteve

RE: LOL what timing

Post by Speedysteve »

Isn't the word you were looking for called.....lucky? [;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

LOL
why lucky

that was the whole Idea behind it :)

you if anyone, should know I am the master of the decoy

just got to get the timeing back

already see things we need to talk about, if they want any talking

AI still cheats too much, once my last raid took off, no other "patrols" were sent up, Recon birds need work, way too easy to shoot down, too many UK planes fly into Balloons, too many GE planes dive and shot balloons down, AI bombs too good, Human bombs too poorly, too many Squadron Leaders die

if we can get the cheats out, and get both sides to have the same results for the same actions, we will be doing good

Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Follow the white rabbit bud [;)]

Knew that would make you respond.

I know you're the master of decoys, feints, tricks and traps! Some of the turn 1's you did for BTR were great. [:)]

Certainly agree on the too many leaders dying. As I said on BTR board same for BTR! I wonder how the code decides who is dying. Any thoughts?

Talking of Recon. Reminds me. BTR recon could do with a tweak. I know JC made changes to the way Recon works but you can still shoot down recon a bit too easy IMO. Certainly agree BoB needs more work done on recon though.

Steven
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Follow the white rabbit bud

Knew that would make you respond.

LOL Like I need prodding

oh, I wish people could of seen that turn for the start of the game I made, I nailed between 350-420 GE planes on the first turn (and I think 8th FC got around 5 or 6 kills)

had a lot of turns sent in to JC, showing how all the different traps and raids worked

had a outrigger raid, that one time ended up with 98 kills for 3 Allied losses

Bait and trap, Staggers, Outriggers, the Crossover, Bait and Switch

JC keep saying he was going to post them for download, but never did, then changed the game, so they don't work anymore

for Leaders, Yes, I think we understand how combat works, it just goes down the list, combat happens, the combat roll is this, result is this, any modifiers based on pilot are added, result shown on screen, if you check your pilot lists, the first guys get kills or get killed, not the last guys on the list, which of course, more can be added, pass the first roll, it moves on to the next guy for the next roll, and so on, only when you get into one on one or few on one combat is it based on true pilot skill

if you notice, a Group, makes a attack, and your Ace gets a kill, he is pretty much done for the day, as long as he stays with the group

if the group breaks off after the attack (say 8 out of 36 planes make the attack, the 8 stays as a new group) then he got a chance for another attack down the road, as far as I can remember, I have never seen a pilot get more then one kill while still in the master group

I think 3 is the most kills I have seen a Allied pilot get in a mission (not counting NI) a number of times, but most times he is by himself and running for home, and gets lucky on his counter attack rolls

(you may see this as the GE, chasing a damage bomb group, it keeps breaking down into smaller and smaller groups, that is when the GE Aces rock, it is always there skill vs the target)

[:-]

don't get me started

Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Follow the white rabbit....

Yes i've certainly seen the kills rack up when an ace is on his own. Afterall the skill ratings have even more bearing when it's 1 on 1. When its a FG vs JG its more of a lottery to a certain degree of course [;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

okay, we or they got there work cut out for them

BoB is crashing like a mad dog on me, I do try to save at least once a game hour, and it paid off, must of had 10-12 crashes during that turn

Recon needs major work, had 9 of them shot down, in fact, may have to try and see if I can add some alt to the missions, I was at the top of the GB alts when they were getting shot down

this turn wasn't too bad for leaders, 2 GB were killed, and 1 was captured

really was a decent turn if not for the poor bombing, I caught 2 Sector AFs with runways full, and destroyed 2 planes and damaged 2 planes

which I flew 2187 times, to the GB 940, I shot down 34 planes, to there 20 (9 recon, 3 to flak)
knocked one Sector field, hurt another (Kenley and Biggen hill) Tangmare was covered in clouds (afternoon raids I either shouldn't have bothered, or gone for the throat, the GB didn't even leave there fields, something to think about)

(another thing to look at, cloud layers, that map was coated and it was only 9%)

AS was up to 5, but dropped to 3, SD is 1 (LOL missed a radar site and nailed something !!! when I miss, I miss) got terror up to 772 but not enough for a point

was able to rest 2 JGs and got some of my 87s closer to the front

(need to look at the range on the 109, had a number of them break off and head home before they got half way across the channel, not even close to any GB planes, so not a fuel burn issue)

current game is very unstable on a better computer then it was designed for

Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

As for the crashing - it may be solved when Matrix upgrades these baby's to Direct x 9 and make them fully compatible with Win XP.

Steven
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Roger that, was just stateing that it is unstable now, I never had any hassles with crashes when it first came out

XP has ruined many a old game

Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

yuck day 2 was heavy clouds, I snuck a raid in under them and took out a radar, the GB lost 4 planes flying into Balloons (those things got to go, that is silly)

day 3, got good weather, and rested pilots, I believe Eagle Day shall start today

will mod my first days plans, and go heavy on the AF attacks

hmmmmmm

0600, I got 10 planes up and they got 100
hmmmmmm
0700, I got 600 planes up and they got 140
hmmmmmm
0730, I got 1940 planes up and they got 210

guess they don't want to play today, may the AI had to pull back and is now sending them back to the front, he just is not responding today, well, hehe tuff

I hit Henly HARD the first day, so just send a smaller follow up raid there, big raid to Biggen hill, even bigger raid to Hornchuch, Tangmare was covered in clouds the first day, so will come back again today, and will try and slip a raid into Middle Wallop

(Speedy, if I was a Si-fi writer I could come up with better names, what is it with you guys ?)

will send some 87s vs Gravesend, and hit some more Radar sites, and see if I can knock out a AFAC site

pretty much what is still in the air when my raids start to move is shoved out of the way by my 109s, 6 kills !!!

oh joy, the bugaboo I love about this game shows up, prefect weather, no enemy fighters, and my bombers can't hit the side of a barn

Biggen Hill, damage goes up to 25, it was 22 the first day, Henley is now 75, hmmm, it was 75 the first day, I crush Hornchuch, yea baby, hmmmm, 53, Tangmare, 25, oh boy, Middle Wallop, 10

the AFAC, 29

but I did knock out 3 of 4 Radar sites !!!!!, lost 3 87s to flak though

did get a Cane on the runway at Henley

embearassing moment, some Defiants flew into my Stukas on the way home and got a good pass, 3 kills and 2 damaged !!!!!

my night raids hit decent, and jakc the Terror score up some

2153 missions for me, 328 for the GB ?, I lose 10 planes, the GB lose 7

2 Sector fields are knocked out (yea right) and 3 more are damaged

only bright notes are there are some holes in his detection wall, and I not taken heavy losses yet, but neither has he

What if they declared a War, and nobody showed up

Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

Holy crap am I envious Sarge. I, too, dug out the old disk and tried playing. Way too unstable. Every time I try and intercept a raid I get a CTD. It lets me start up, plan initial patrols but then, when I try and intercept during a real time raid---BAMMO!! Sucks really as I am into the BOB and there's not much out there strategic wise.

Chris
"Land Soft, Kill Quiet"
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

did you try setting it for compatabity mode ?

maybe that will help (right now I got it on normal, I just went in and changes it to see if that helps any, for others some it does, others it don't)

go to the Icon to start the game,right click to open the icon up, click on properites, up at the top, click on Compatibilty, then check the first box down and set up the game to run in either windows 98, or windows 2000

maybe that will help some

Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

Testing now, Sarge.

....and works great. Appreciate it.
"Land Soft, Kill Quiet"
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Kewl
if it works, it may still crash some, but hopefully at a better rate then before, I would still say to save often, better save then sorry :)

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Airborne82nd

Holy crap am I envious Sarge. I, too, dug out the old disk and tried playing. Way too unstable. Every time I try and intercept a raid I get a CTD. It lets me start up, plan initial patrols but then, when I try and intercept during a real time raid---BAMMO!! Sucks really as I am into the BOB and there's not much out there strategic wise.

Chris

Whats wrong with WITP
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

LOL figures

I had installed the game a while back and was playing it and had it all set up so it ran great, I couldn't find the start icon, so just made a shortcut and started playing and was getting a lot of crashes, once I went to compabity mode, it worked fine

I found where I put the old Icon and it was set up that way to start with

oh well, but then again, if I wasn't taking about it, you may not of posted, now we got two games running decents :)

Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Day 4
more clouds, but it looks like a hole in the middle so may as well try

not much damage done at the targets I hit, nothing at night (resting) lost 1 plane to flak and 1 to combat, knocked down 6 GB planes

Day 5, still not great weather, but good enough to fly in

gonna try some tricks now

they want to pick off my recon birds, well come on and try, 1 recon bird goes to Gravesend, with 3 Gruppen flying cover, 28,000 fighters up to 34,000

followed shortly afterward by another Recon bird and 2 Gruppen of fighters, these are lower

this trick is dangerous, start too soon and they zoom to the target and then every one turns red and heads home, if the GB attack then, it is easy pickings, start out too late, and the GB are busy and nothing happens

I timed it well, and do good damage to the planes trying to go for the recon, but should of been better, did more damage then kills

my bait attack on Mason, made it, snuck in and dropped there bombs and ran for home, with 2 Cane squadrons chaseing, 1 Do-17 KG

my 110s pick off another radar site

then the main raids start, big raid heading to Biggen Hill and another to Tangmare

low turn out by the GB ? they show they are at full strength, but don't want to fight yet !, then again, 300 109s may of changed there minds

Biggen Hill is hit decent(still up and running though) and Tangmare is knocked out, so 3 Sector fields out (Kenley, Hornchurch and Tangmare)

finally hit the AFAC is enough to take it out, plus another Radar station is down, getting lucky with my Stuka's, the GB don't want to play, so they are not getting slaughtered

Afternoon starts with a raid on Mason, just to let the GB know I in the area, LOL one Cane squadron comes in, makes a pass and gets 3 Do-17s !!!!! , then are chased away

then the main raid starts, I want Biggin Hill, He-111s at 17,000, followed shortly after with Ju-88s at 7500, and all the fighters I can muster

shouldn't of bothered, about 20 GB fighters showed up for the party

the 111s lit up the target, the 88s blew out the candles, Biggen Hill is closed down, big time

during the night, I hit London, Sheffield and Portsmith

even had a 88 make a pass at a landing NF, but missed !!!!

I lose 8 planes, 2 to flak, 2 to landing, the GB lose 20 fighters

score is still 4-1-0, but I got 4 Sector fields out now (Hornchuch will be up in the morning)

I got to force the GB to fight, they won't, never seen them act this way before, I have an idea why

oh well it is early yet
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Whats wrong with WITP

Nothing, actually. I have it but don't have the time to put into it. I like the smaller BOB campaign. Just me.
"Land Soft, Kill Quiet"
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Ahhh no fair

day 6 30% cloud cover, my troops need some rest, so only send out a excourted recon and a strike at Middle Wallop, and a sweep

no fair, England was totally Blind,they never seen the recon coming and my raid made it to about 20 miles of Middle Wallop before they started to react

Middle Wallop is down, lost one fighter, my sweep of 110s, found a few planes on the ground, killing a NF and damageing a Spit

ahhhh

needed the rest, I am at full strength and so are they

5 Sector fields down, 12 radar and 1 AFAC !

need better damage to planes on the runway

Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

We will fight them on the beaches........[;)]
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”