Assaulting undefended beach

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Accipiter

Assaulting undefended beach

Post by Accipiter »

Ok, I'm almost completely new to WiTP but have been working through the tutorial with another beginner in a PBEM game (from which I'm already learning a lot). I've learned enough that I'd thought I'd start the Coral sea campaign on my own as IJ. No problem there as they don't seem to be too many units to control. I see that several units are already loaded and about to head for Buna and Guadalcanal so I decide to let them just to see what happens.

Well they hit those areas and there are no apparent infantry resistence around. However to my amazement, dozens if not hundreds of my troops die storming the beach. Who the heck is firing at them? Are they just running over themselves? Or do those locations have build in forts that I'm overlooking to defend them that causing the causalties? And they still haven't taken the undefended hex. Does it take time once a unit lands to take control or do I need to change the unit's mission to shock attack or something similiar to get them to move?

I was also thinking of moving in a HQ unit to help coordinate the attack (still learning about these units) but don't know if they just need to be close or in the battle to be effective. I'd hate to try to form a beachhead with an assaulting HQ unit. Any help or suggestions?
Twotribes

RE: Assaulting undefended beach

Post by Twotribes »

Most "casualties" at undefended beaches are just disrupted squads, happens at every landing, to represent disorientation, poor planning and accidents.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
DFalcon

Post by DFalcon »

In order to take the base you will have to get your ground units to do a deliberate attack or a shock attack. Ownership can take place with out ordering at attack but its much quicker if you do.

There was some excellent post on ground combat if you can dig them up. There are lots of ways to give your self the edge... or shoot yourself in the foot.
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

Check out this thread.
Fear the kitten!
saj42

Post by saj42 »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Most "casualties" at undefended beaches are just disrupted squads, happens at every landing, to represent disorientation, poor planning and accidents.

Don't panic, they are not all KIAs. Preparation points and HQs will go a long way to reduce the figure.
Banner by rogueusmc

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”