Directory for MWIF forum

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shannon V. OKeets

Directory for MWIF forum

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Directory for Matrix Games’ World in Flames Forum

I decided it would be a good idea to give new members to the forum an overview of the forum’s recent past by providing a directory. As a general opening statement, this forum is open to everyone to join, create posts, and even create new threads. It is not officially monitored by Matrix Games but I visit multiple times every day and respond to posts when it seems appropriate.

I became the developer for MWIF in early July of 2005. As of today, (July 26, 2006), I have made over 2000 posts to this forum in the past 13 months. You can learn more about me in the thread “A New Start Please Welcome Steven Hokanson”, post #2.

Usually a new member’s first question is “When the game is going to be released?” That does not have a simple answer, but I provide monthly reports to the forum on what I have done and plan to do. See “When”, posts #4, #8, #14, #39, #47, #62, #93, #107, #115, and #132.

Greyshaft is managing play testers for MWIF and has a thread on that topic in this forum.

I would like to know what hardware and operating systems players are likely to use to play MWIF and I started a thread to gather that information. See “What hardware and operating system do you expect to use to play MWIF?”, post #1.

The first couple of threads I started were on the map, units, scenarios, options. See “Maps for MWIF”, post #1, and “Units, Scenarios, Options, and Add-ons” posts #1 and #114.

With the help of many forum members I have developed a sequence of play for Play by Email for MWIF. It is a long and gory story but you can read all about it in “Play by Email (PBEM) for MWIF” and “PBEM Standing Orders”. If you are just interested in the conclusions, I have the final design documents in the form of PDF files, that I send to anyone who asks (SHokanson@HawaiianTel.net).

I also started threads on “MWIF Game Interface Design” (#1, #21, #85, #94, #108, and #114), “Artificial Intelligence for World in Flames” (#1, #7, And #11), and “Historical Details, Animation, and Sound” (#1, #47, and #58). The posts in parentheses are suggested readings if you would like a quick overview. I am always looking for more people to help on the AI Opponent, so if you would like to help on the AIO send me a personal message or simply post a message in the AI thread. There is a PDF available from me on Historical Details et al.

I have written a long document about the game record log entries the program will create to maintain a detail record of every action taken by players and the the program itself. If you would like a copy (40+ pages) simply ask me via email or post a request for same.

The discussion on the map using a single unified scale generated a separate thread on “Play Balance in China”. See the posts to that thread #10, #28, #33, #44, and #46 if the topic is of interest to you.

I am always interested in what players have to say about how this game should be developed. Indeed, I am quite aggressive about soliciting opinions, especially those that are different from mine. I have added, modified, and eliminated more design details based on posts by members to this forum than I care to bother counting. I fully expect that to be true for the next several months as the rest of the design documents: are created, are written into code, and play tested.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Jeff Gilbert

RE: Directory for MWIF forum

Post by Jeff Gilbert »

Just a quick note.
I have been reading and watching this with interest for quite some time and, being a very long time player of WiF, I am very pleased to see this moving forward so well now.

I guess the best tribute I can give is, "Sir, my credit card stands at the ready!"
Jeff Gilbert
US Army [Ret]
Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Jeff Gilbert
Just a quick note.
I have been reading and watching this with interest for quite some time and, being a very long time player of WiF, I am very pleased to see this moving forward so well now.

I guess the best tribute I can give is, "Sir, my credit card stands at the ready!"

Thanks. But you don't need a credit card to put in your 2 cents worth on the development of this game. Anytime a thought pops into your head, please post it on the forum (somewhere). All the little tidbits I gather from the forum members help me avoid making mistakes.
Steve

buckyzoom

Post by buckyzoom »

OK. I think I can help you with MWIF. (Actually, more accurately, I'd LOVE to help with MWIF.) I'm a programmer and WIF player so I'm pretty comfortable with the subject matter and don't mind getting technical.

I haven't done any game programming, just end user stuff. Lately, it's been a lot of R & D, strategic initiative/business intelligence work. If there's a particular area where you need help and no-one seems interested in pitching in let me know. I'll help wherever you need. You should be aware though, I'm not so interested in the pretty as I am in the functional.

My tech experience (lately) has been around web delivery of business apps (primarily J2EE). I've also been working in the BI arena evaluating data persistence models (2NF vs 3NF, Oracle vs open-source) and also helping architect the decision support direction for my division (e.g. - what tools). I spend a fair amount of time working as a kind of semantic layer between business and IT so I'm OK at communicating technical information to non-technical folks.

Anyway, shoot me an e-mail and I'll work on the stuff nobody else wants too.

Regards,

b5

There are more things under Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies...
Greyshaft

AI Propellor heads

Post by Greyshaft »

hmmm... my resume is pretty similar but I didn't think I was up to snuff on AI work. There's plenty of work to do bucky but don't take it amiss if you don't cut it for the AI team. Those guys are serious propellor heads.
/Greyshaft
Froonp

RE: AI Propellor heads

Post by Froonp »

I have a friend who would love to contribute to the MWiF Matrix games forum, but can't actually set up an account there (It won't accept hotmail or gmail accounts as emails, and he have no other email address).

Can someone help him to find a way to register ? He's Andrew at ae.vance@gmail.com.

Is there a way for a Moderator to register him manualy ?

Thanks

Patrice
buckyzoom

Post by buckyzoom »

It doesn't have to be AI, but it would be cool if it were. I think that's pretty interesting subject matter. And hey it never hurts to ask...
There are more things under Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophies...
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Froonp
I have a friend who would love to contribute to the MWiF Matrix games forum, but can't actually set up an account there (It won't accept hotmail or gmail accounts as emails, and he have no other email address).

Can someone help him to find a way to register ? He's Andrew at ae.vance@gmail.com.

Is there a way for a Moderator to register him manualy ?

Thanks

Patrice

I forwarded your post to Erik Rutkins at Matrix Games (ErikR@MatrixGames.com). Hoepfully he can solve this problem for Andrew.
Steve

mlees

Post by mlees »

You can say "bump". It's OK, you have more "juice" around here than us regular working class slobs...
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is another non-informative post whose purpose is to put this thread near the top of the list. Like a cork bobbing in the waves.
Steve

Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Can I suggest adding the Beta Test post to your list for those who want to know how to get in on the action?
/Greyshaft
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

Steve,

Ask one of the Matrix people (Erik Rutins for example) to make you a moderator for the WiF forums. Then you can mark the threads you want to stay at the top of the forum (as well as some other things). Thats quite a bit more convinient than having to bump it over and over. Heck, you can even mark the thread as a FAQ rather than just a stick if you think thats more appropriate.

I moderate the forums for another game here - so the Matrix people are happy to let relevant people be moderators I would say.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: JanSorensen

Steve,

Ask one of the Matrix people (Erik Rutins for example) to make you a moderator for the WiF forums. Then you can mark the threads you want to stay at the top of the forum (as well as some other things). Thats quite a bit more convinient than having to bump it over and over. Heck, you can even mark the thread as a FAQ rather than just a stick if you think thats more appropriate.

I moderate the forums for another game here - so the Matrix people are happy to let relevant people be moderators I would say.
Thanks for the tip. I'll ask Erik when they get back from the holidays.
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

I have updated the opening post for this thread.

I recommend it to people who have recently joined this forum, since it provides a quick overview of the different threads herein.
Steve

Shannon V. OKeets

I made some very minor edits to the opening post for this thread today.
Steve

MilRevKo

Post by MilRevKo »

Is there a form for CWif Beta "Opponents Wanted"?
Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes -Publilius Syrus
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: MilRevKo

Is there a form for CWif Beta "Opponents Wanted"?
Do you mean 'forum' (or thread within this forum)?
Steve

MilRevKo

Post by MilRevKo »

Sorry, is there an "Opponents Wanted" forum.  I looked thought the threads but, was not able to find any possible CWif opponents.  I found lots of other interesting info thought.
Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes -Publilius Syrus
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: MilRevKo

Sorry, is there an "Opponents Wanted" forum.  I looked thought the threads but, was not able to find any possible CWif opponents.  I found lots of other interesting info thought.
To the best of my knowledge - no. But you are welcome to start one.

One caveat is that CWIF is no longer supported and may not be distributed (legally).
Steve

loricas

Post by loricas »

actually the ADG sell the old CWIF-beta
Se la germania perde siamo perdenti. Se la germania vince siamo perduti.
If germany lose we are loser. if germany won we are lost.
G.Ciano Mussolini's foreign minister
Ciao Paolo

Return to “World in Flames”