Hurricane Katrina..........

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Tophat

RE: Hurricane Katrina..........

Post by Tophat »

I'm curious why they don't link and float barges down to the levee break and sink them in place. They need some form of breakwall that they can pile those giant sandbags behind.
here is a question that needs looking at........"Do you rebuild NO at the same location?".
Also we desperatly need 2 more refineries on the Westcoast,another on the Eastcoast and something in the Midwest.
Atleast the damn EPA is relaxing the different gasoline blend restrictions,that should freeup some capacity.

***Sidenote: I saw people with a raft full of TV's moving down a flooded street.Question: "Where are they going to take them?" Also,the power is off for miles around,they can't even use one now.
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

float barges down to the levee break

I think that is one plan they are looking at!
Also we desperatly need 2 more refineries on the Westcoast,another on the Eastcoast and something in the Midwest.

All you yankees just love us for our oil & natural gas [;)] [:D] ! We need Nuclear power, more oil/gas wells dug & more refineries built......unfortunately the first and third takes a little time!
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Oznoyng

Post by Oznoyng »

ORIGINAL: Tophat
What America needs is an energy policy that doesn't simply focus on getting more of it, but instead upon using less of it. I drive a hybrid which gets between 45 and 60 mpg. If every soccer mom driving a 13 mpg mega-SUV was switched to a hybrid, we would have no gas shortage, we would have lower trade deficits, we would not be funding terrorists, we would not be poluting the environment, we would not have America at risk because our economy relies upon importing more and more oil from countries that would love to see us brought low. Building more refineries only puts us on a faster track for consuming finite resources and makes a huge vulnerability larger.
"There is no Black or White, only shades of Grey."
"If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem."
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Oh dear, I give this thread a couple of posts more before it gets locked down.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
BB57

Post by BB57 »

All the neat things you can do with oil, plastic etc., and we are burning it.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

If you ant to discuss our "failed" energy policy and the evil soccer moms take it to Mad Cows, I promise we will gladly discuss the issue with you. You will find people that support you as well, we have at least one poster who refers to people that own SUV's as traitors.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
madmickey

Post by madmickey »

Hybrid Cars use electricity the vast majority is made by burning fossil fuel and Coal produces a lot more CO2 per energy generated than natural gas or oil.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Now Madmickey dont burst the environuts bubble.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Oliver Heindorf

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

I donated 25 euros. please help all. the ppl need help.
tsimmonds

Post by tsimmonds »

I can't believe this; forget the political sniping guys. This is serious stuff. Perhaps thousands are dead, millions homeless; lives have been changed forever. People need help. Not everything is political.
Fear the kitten!
Tophat

Post by Tophat »

Sorry if i helped turn this political.......and yes I verywell know people are dead,stranded,frightened and lost down there. Its a bad situation and the worst maynot have been reached yet.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

I saw photos in the local newspaper. [:(] Roads that looked like rivers with car roof barely visible. The Governor of Mississippi declared it as their Tsunami disaster. Damages run to billions.[:(]. Don't know the fatality figure. Despite all the advances in science, we just can't stop such tragedies from happening.
Banner designed by rogueusmc
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: captskillet

Fox news is reporting that it may up to 3 months before power is fully restored in NO!!!

Yeah. "Fox News". That's a source...

[:D]
doktorblood

Post by doktorblood »

I'm somewhat shocked at the apparant lack of capability to respond to this disaster that is being demonstrated. There are a lot of people out there in desperate situation need help yesterday. To me, it seems like State and Federal authorites were woefully unprepared. It's not like they didn't know this monster storm was coming.
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

I'm somewhat shocked at the apparant lack of capability to respond to this disaster that is being demonstrated.

You cant just snap your fingers and everything is in place to help the people and start the cleanup........you are talking a whole urban area of around 1 mil people and the whole infrastructure of New Orleans is GONE.........it takes time to get those kinds of resources into play.........I doubt NYC responded any quicker!
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

RevRick

Post by RevRick »

The other thing is that with hurricanes, you never know what they are going to do before they do it. It could have shifted sixty to seventy miles in the final few hours and relocated all of the damage effects to another area. Add to that the fact that this storm was several hundred miles in diameter (tropical storm force winds up to 200 miles on each side, I believe) and you just can't deploy relief forxes next to the expected strike zone without risking them becoming victims themselves. I spent several years in disaster reponse and safety in both the business world and as in the Church. It ain't easy and there are always trade-offs. Those people on the overpass which were shown on television yesterday were not comfortable, but they were safe and alive. There are others who have not been rescued yet, who are not safe and may not be alive very soon. Read the story of the 1928 hurricane which hit South Florida for a real chiller.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Tophat

Post by Tophat »

Getting worse now,its a No-man's land with a total law and order breakdown. Shots fired at rescue forces with rumors that some of N.O police are packing it in and leaving town.[:(]
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Look for the National Guard to send MPs to New Orleans in the very near future to do some Law and Order missions.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Be careful what you believe. This sort of a disaster is a breeding ground for all sorts of rumours...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

It's not a rumor.

Edit: Look at my occupation.
Created by the amazing Dixie

Return to “General Discussion”