Coming Back to "the Game"

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

"Joss" Osborne

Coming Back to "the Game"

Post by "Joss" Osborne »

Folks,

It's been 4 long years since I played SPWAW, and I'm now back reporting for duty. Man, things have certainly changed in that period of time, and I have more than a few questions... so bear with me.

I just bought the Generals edition so I assume everyone is playing version 8.4.

1. What are the PBEM'ers playing?
2. Are they playing the base version or this H2H version I've read about? What is the H2H version?
3. I've searched all over this afternoon for info on slowing down the game speed on my computer but I haven't found anything. At one time there was a way you could slow down the units so they were'nt speeding all over the place. How do you accomplish this?
4. I was looking for a scenario Redleg and I played 3-4 years ago in the Tractor Factory, but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?
5. The Map Thing that comes with my game doesn't seem to work.... any help would be appreciated.

and finally.....

Where can a guy get a good email game? [:D]

Regards,

Joe "Joss" Osborne
DoubleDeuce

RE: Coming Back to "the Game"

Post by DoubleDeuce »

2. Are they playing the base version or this H2H version I've read about? What is the H2H version?

3. I've searched all over this afternoon for info on slowing down the game speed on my computer but I haven't found anything. At one time there was a way you could slow down the units so they were'nt speeding all over the place. How do you accomplish this?

4. I was looking for a scenario Redleg and I played 3-4 years ago in the Tractor Factory, but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?

5. The Map Thing that comes with my game doesn't seem to work.... any help would be appreciated.

Well, let me give it a shot. [:D]

1. Most who play PBeM at the moment seem to prefer the H2H Mod.

2. You can find more about the H2H Mod at The Blitz here ---> H2H Mod

3. Can't help you there. [:(]

4. Redleg hangs out a lot here ---> The SPWAW Depot.

5. You can post a challenge at several places including here ---> ACG/SZO
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

3.) There are settings in the Preferences menu for unit movement speed and scroll speed. The exception is the scroll speed inside the sub-plotting (artillery, paratroops, infiltrators) screens will stay lighting fast on any speedy computer.

5.) Double Deuce is correct. VikingNo2 will give you about the best game, IMO, but be prepared to be raped bad.[;)] He hangs out here and at The Depot. There are Opponents Wanted areas here, The Depot, and SZO/ACG.

Goblin

Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Joss, tried to PM you but you have them turned off.

Goblin
"Joss" Osborne

Post by "Joss" Osborne »

Hmmmm.... profile is checked to allow them.....

I'll try and send one to you, and see if you can reply.

Regards,

Joe "Joss" Osborne
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Joe,

It came, but shows the senders name as &q uot;Joss&q uot; Osborne

I think that it is causing the failure to receive any. [&:]

Drop by The Depot if you want and I will PM you there sometime. Redleg has a Showcase there, and your scenario may be posted in it, dunno.

Goblin
"Joss" Osborne

Post by "Joss" Osborne »

Yes, for some reason this forum board doesn't handle quotes very well.... anyhow I'll see you over at the Depot.

Thanks!

Regards,

Joe "Joss" Osborne
"Joss" Osborne

Post by "Joss" Osborne »

DD,

Any instructions on setting up H2H with version 8+ ?

Regards,

Joe "Joss" Osborne
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: "Joss" Osborne

DD,

Any instructions on setting up H2H with version 8+ ?

Go to this post by Artur at the SPWAW Depot ---> HERE.
Alby

Post by Alby »

Folks,

It's been 4 long years since I played SPWAW, and I'm now back reporting for duty. Man, things have certainly changed in that period of time, and I have more than a few questions... so bear with me.

I just bought the Generals edition so I assume everyone is playing version 8.4.

and finally.....

There is a Master scenario list available for download at the depot....perhaps you may find it there.

The following is a shameless plug!! [:D]

Forget H2H, use the Depot Multi Mod!! [;)]
[:D][:D][:D][:D]

"Joss" Osborne

Post by "Joss" Osborne »

OKay...OKay...what is the "Depot Multi Mod" [:)]

A guy goes away for four years and they move all the furniture on him....[:D][:D]

Regards,

Joe "Joss" Osborne
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

And repaints the place... [;)]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Alby

Post by Alby »

OKay...OKay...what is the "Depot Multi Mod" [:)]

A guy goes away for four years and they move all the furniture on him....[:D][:D]

At the SPWAW Depot...look in the "modswapper" section, under Multi Mods..
This mod combines alot of the Depots ongoing oob project corrections, some of my own oobs, and alot of cool new graphics and Icons.
In spwaw now there is a program called Modswapper which lets you swap out oobs and such without screwing up your orginals.

Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Hello JOe! I assume this is the old Joe from back in the days of me, you, Frank Donati and DH, when Matrix was still a dream and we struggled with The Gamer's Net.

If so, it is a great joy to see you return. My, oh my! Four years. We did have some hard but some very good times.

I take it from the mails I've read here that most of you don't know Anakin!...the mighty one. Joe goes back to the very early days. David and I formed the core of The Gamer's Net in October 1997. Later we were joined by Joe and Frank Donati and then others, and then others and so time goes.

Joe was a mighty gamer and a hard worker back in those days and I am sure he is even today. I hope you enjoy the General's Edition and that you will give those Mega-Campaigns a try. I invested part of my life into them and they were worth it.

Great to see you hear Joe. Welcome!

An Older and Wiser Wild Bill
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
"Joss" Osborne

Post by "Joss" Osborne »

Greetings Bill!

Yes, it is the one and only "Anakin" [:D](a long story.....) Man, it seems like yesterday that we were grinding out the news and web pages for the Gamers Net, and then I built and ran "Combat Command" Leagues for awhile. Have you heard from any of the other Gamers Net staff? I know Erik is still going strong with Matrix. Do you still have the Raiders operational?

I flew off to the skies for awhile and played flight sims, great fun. Then my son and I joined a clan and played Call of Duty. What a hoot! Had a great time. He's now off playing Star Wars Galaxies and dear old Dad decided to come back to SPWAW.

Everyone's fine over here hope things are well with you, my friend.

Boy, a lot of catching up after four years.

Regards,

Joe "Joss" Osborne
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

No, the Raiders retired in 2003. They have scattered to the winds. Dozens of guys have come and gone since you moved on to other things.

I've been involved with John Tiller and his Squad Battles game and was the game coordinator for four of those games, including Proud and Few, Eagles Cry, Korea, and War in the Pacific.

I did some work as you know with COmbat Mission, Beyond Overlord and Afrika Korps...and of course, three mega campaigns for Matrix.

Yes, Erik and Patti are deeply involved with Matrix. I met them during Origins this year along with some other folks I already knew, such as Bill Trotter (we shared a booth) Joel Billings, old Ron Duquenel, David's two oldest boys and his father and a host of folks I did not know.

It was a great time.

I'm sort of on the periphery of Matrix. Its great what David has done with the company, and I'm glad to have played a small role in helping that to happen.

Good to have you back with us. I think you'll really enjoy SPWAW. It is a classic and probably always will be.

Oh, I did get into Call of Duty, Battlefield Vietnam and Star Wards, Battleground, and enjoyed them very much.

BUt they played out on me. I still hang around here, but just not quite as active. Shoot, I'm almost 69 years old, Joe! I guess its time to slow down a bit.

I'm divorced. Beth and I parted ways in 2001. I still live alone with a part time job at "Wal-Mart (ARGH!), and four Spanish classes I teach in my home. Yeah, I do stay pretty busy still.

Let's give Joe a big welcome guys. He was one of the pioneers to this modern era of wargaming and a great gamemaster!

WB
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Welcome back, then! You'll find the Grand Old Lady that is SP still chugging away happily.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

A couple of years back,before my computer went phhhht.....I posted here as Fontenoy.Since I couldn't use that name I'm now Hauberk.It's nice to see the SPWAW community is still as active and vital as it was then.I still love this game!!!
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

...then I built and ran "Combat Command" Leagues for awhile...
Oh, that Joe Osborne! [:)] Wondered what happened to you when Combat Command faded and you kind of disappeared. Has it been 4 years already? [:(]
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

ORIGINAL: Hauberk

A couple of years back,before my computer went phhhht.....I posted here as Fontenoy.Since I couldn't use that name I'm now Hauberk.It's nice to see the SPWAW community is still as active and vital as it was then.I still love this game!!!

That has got to be one of the coolest avatars I've seen, bro.

Goblin

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”