Newsflash: America declares war on France!

Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon, the player controls one of the crowned potentates of Europe in the Napoleonic Era, wielding authority over his nation's military strategy, economic development, diplomatic relations, and social organization. It is a very thorough simulation of the entire Napoleonic Era - spanning from 1799 to 1820, from the dockyards in Lisbon to the frozen wastes of Holy Mother Russia.

Moderators: Gil R., ericbabe

plasticpanzers

Newsflash: America declares war on France!

Post by plasticpanzers »

Was about 12 years into a 20 year campaign when I was
able to blockade London with my French fleet (took
some help from the other nations to really drive down
the size of the Royal Navy!). America became peeved
by my blockade and declared war on me! I was very
happily surprised by this feature! Spent the next
year dueling with the USN all over the map. They
even tried to engage my French blockade fleet (they
lost) but they did have a few battleships!. I would
increase their crew quality tho. Nice suprise. This
game has alot of cool features (despite my constant
grumbleing! LOL!).
Tim
Mynok

RE: Newsflash: America declares war on France!

Post by Mynok »

Yep, it's a little more interesting as Turkey. They go to war with America every game because they are always having to blockade those North African ports to conquer them.

The American fleet is quite a pain for the Turks.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
ian77

Post by ian77 »

Yes I always feel sorry for the Turkish AI as US fleets attack them every game!

In RL was america aggresive in the Med? I can't imagine Britain, Spain, or France welcoming the sight of US warships sailing around their waters..

Ian

Edit - spelling... duh..
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

Seems a bit unfair for the poor Turks but they do get more materials than i would have expected.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: ian77

Yes I always feel sorry for the Turkish AI as US fleets attack them every game!

In RL was america aggresive in the Med? I can't imagine Britain, Spain, or France welcoming the sight of US warships sailing around their waters..

"From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli" - well known opening verses of USMC hymn are about US being "aggressive in the Med", or acting as policeman vs. pirates, in 1804-1805 to be exact (Barbary wars) [:D]

Quote:

"One of the unpleasant realities that the young and still untested United States had to face at the turn of the 19th century was the threat of piracy against its merchant shipping in the Mediterranean. The leading European powers had long dealt with the threat by paying tribute - we would now say protection money - to the rulers of the Barbary States of North Africa: Tripoli, Algiers, Tunis, and Morocco. At first the United States followed suit, but in May 1801 the Pasha of Tripoli was overthrown by a usurper who brazenly demanded more and, when it was refused, declared war on the United States.

President Thomas Jefferson decided to fight, despite the fact that the Navy had been nearly dismantled after the Revolution. In August a blockade of Tripoli was established by Commodore Richard Dale, who had fought with John Paul Jones. The blockade, small and ineffective at first, continued for nearly four years and gradually, with reinforcements from home and some borrowed vessels from the King of the Two Sicilies, took command of the waters of the Barbary Coast. The naval war is best remembered for the daring raid into Tripoli harbor led by Lieutenant Stephen Decatur in February 1804 to burn the captured U.S. frigate Philadelphia.

In November of that same year the former U.S. consul in Tunis, William Eaton, landed in Egypt with a tiny detachment of Marines under the command of Lieutenant Presley N. O'Bannon. Gathering irregular troops from the countryside as they went, they trekked some 500 miles across the Libyan Desert in March-April 1805 and on April 27 stormed and occupied the Tripolitan stronghold of Derna. The Marines on that day raised the U.S. flag - then featuring 15 stars and 15 stripes - for the first time over foreign soil. Tripoli signed a treaty of peace on June 4, and other Barbary states quickly followed suit. State-sponsored piracy in the Mediterranean was ended.

The Tripolitan War may well be counted the first instance of America's stepping forth to solve a problem on Europe's doorstep, a line that runs down to the Balkans and the Middle East and Central Asia today."

Endquote. But to stay on topic, I think DOW on Turkey is a bit unfair within the scope of this game...

O.
ian77

Post by ian77 »

Thanks for the history lesson Oleg, very useful info! (You might get some response to the last paragraph of your quotation!!)

Regarding the USMC lyrics, we always treated them as BS, Montezuma having gone long brfore the USA appeared. Dont tell Hard-Sarge but we always sang it as "From the halls of Montezuma, where the Yanks have never been, etc. etc." and all along it was giving me a history lesson!

Thanks

Ian

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

[:D] I heard them Marines sing in some movie, and let alone Montezuma I was SURE it can't be Tripoli. Apparently in movies they sing the "verified & approved" official version [:D] But what would Marines be doing in Tripoli? I must have heard wrong... Did they come to overthrow that Ghaddafi guy? [:D] But how can there be song about modern day troublespot in WW2 movie? So I spent couple hours to find out and bingo...

Quotation is from some website I am not responsible for it. Quoted article was written by Robert McHenry Former Editor in Chief, the Encyclopædia Britannica. I didn't quote all of it but in general it is favorable to the US. I think that last sentence was meant as criticism for Europeans (and I'd add in this case rightfully so).

Link:

http://www.techcentralstation.com/050605B.html

O.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

The Marines took part in the Mexican-American War (1846–1848) and assaulted the Castillo de Chapultepec, or the Castle of Chapultepec, which overlooked Mexico City. The Marines were placed on guard duty at the Mexican Presidential Palace, "The Halls of Montezuma".

So, yes, they have been there.
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

Yes, and I have proof:

Return to “Crown of Glory”