Russian Mini-Submarine

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

elxaime

Russian Mini-Submarine

Post by elxaime »

The US, UK and Japan are rushing to help rescue the crew of a Russian Mini-submarine snagged on the bottom of the ocean. According to news reports, this will be the first time these militaries will have been allowed to operate in the Kamchatka region since WW2.

My prayers go out for a rescue of these Russian seamen.

As I watched this, they said the UK material was coming from Scotland and wouldn't reach the area until Saturday, the US C5A sometime after that, and the Japanese ships not until early next week.

This is so much like the Kursk incident. It seems to me that all the world's militaries should develop a plan, perhaps under the UN flag, to station deep sea rescue equipment around the world so that it is available near enough to help in time.

Any other thoughts on this unfolding drama?
JVJ
Terminus

RE: Russian Mini-Submarine

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: elxaime

This is so much like the Kursk incident.

Actually, it isn't. The Russians ASKED for help this time.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

ORIGINAL: elxaime

This is so much like the Kursk incident.

Actually, it isn't. The Russians ASKED for help this time.
Quite true. This doesn't appear to be a result of any malfunction or negligence. First reports indicate that the mini-sub fouled its propellors on an old drifting fishing net or cable of which there are hundreds floating freely at different depths all over the oceans. Some of these nets can be up to a mile long. I can't think of a more horrible death than to be stuck in a sub trapped on the bottom. It's like being buried alive. Chances of recovering these guys looks very unlikely. Hope I'm wrong.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Yeah, that's the sort of death you would wish on ANYONE...
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

It seems to me that all the world's militaries should develop a plan, perhaps under the UN flag, to station deep sea rescue equipment around the world so that it is available near enough to help in time.

Any other thoughts on this unfolding drama?

It's a good bet that the U.S. Navy already has a limited system in place, since its submarines can go just about anywhere there is ocean. I don't know how many countries are willing to allow U.N. installations. This time, happily, it worked: all seven sailors have been rescued.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
RBWhite

Post by RBWhite »

FYI, The U.S. Navy already has the most advanced Sub. rescue system.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Yup, one airliftable all over the world. Good 'ol Galaxy![:)]

It was really nice to see those Russian sailors get out alive. There's been nothing but bad news lately...
Pippin

Post by Pippin »

It ammazes me how a nation that large, with so many expensive submarines in it's hands... has such poor quality and horrid rescue systems for when something goes wrong...

Seems they never learn their lesson either..... no matter how many times they lose a submarine.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

Return to “General Discussion”