Game needs more flexibility IMHO!

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

PzB74

Game needs more flexibility IMHO!

Post by PzB74 »

Doesn't anyone think that the US should enter the war earlier than in the autumn of 1943 unless Japan attack them?
I'm pretty sure they would have joined the fight against Nazi Germany sometime in 1942 even without Pearl Harbour.

A 20% chance in the first turn of 42, 30% in the second, 40% in the third, 50% in the fourth a.s.o!?
This would give the game more flexibility. Too easy to controll and predict things as it is.

From my point of view the game seems somewhat biased towards the Axis... It's often too late to turn the tables by late 46 if the US are held
out of loop until late 43.

The first moves against Russia also seems to have been customized by most players by now. If the Russian player was allowed to move just a couple of units
each turn from the start of it would be possible to prevent this 'general receipt' -> capture the Caucasus and destroy 6 resources there...yeah right, very
realistic...drive into Leningrad and encircle/destroy the rest of the Russian units west of Moscow.

CAN I BE ALLOWED TO TRY A DIFFERENT DEFENSIVE STRATEGY PLEASE? [8|]
(Drives me nuts, so excuse my yelling..)

Just a fighter and AA unit in the Caucasus would have made it impossible for the Axis destroy the defenders in a single attack and capture it with a para unit.

I really like the game, but IMHO it needs more opportunities and flexibility!

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
sajbalk

RE: Game needs more flexibility IMHO!

Post by sajbalk »

Your suggestions are all good; but they will not be implemented in this version of the game, I think. Even alllowing the russians to move 1 unit 1 space per turn would be a great help.

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

I agree that the Caucasus move is too easy for Germany. Letting the Russians move 1 unit per turn even pre war would somewhat seriously alter the balance on the East Front though as the Germans would be unable to kill off as many Russians during the first turn. Maybe if only units that are not on the border could be moved it would be reasonable - but still playbalance is an issue.

I dont agree that letting the US into the war earlier is good though. It would seriously tip the play balance in favor of the Allies for an otherwise decently balanced game.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: PzB

CAN I BE ALLOWED TO TRY A DIFFERENT DEFENSIVE STRATEGY PLEASE? [8|]
(Drives me nuts, so excuse my yelling..)

Just a fighter and AA unit in the Caucasus would have made it impossible for the Axis destroy the defenders in a single attack and capture it with a para unit.

I really like the game, but IMHO it needs more opportunities and flexibility!

I suggest you try out my mod/scenario - Raw Deal, look under "Mods" sub-board. It deals with some of problems you mention (at least it tries [;)]).

O.

PzB74

Post by PzB74 »

Will look into it Oleg! [:)]
So are there no further plans for another game patch?
It's kinda difficult to move between WitP and W@W..so much attention there and nothing here!

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

The WaW crew is currently on vacation. Their focus is on making TCP/IP play available - so currently there is not much focus on generel play fixes. Once the TCP/IP part is done I expect that to change.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: PzB

Will look into it Oleg! [:)]
So are there no further plans for another game patch?
It's kinda difficult to move between WitP and W@W..so much attention there and nothing here!

WAW patches are planned, but I guess any serious game balance changes will be left to modders and possible new titles based on WAW engine. [;)]

WITP vs WAW - I happen to love both. Both are, in my opinion, top products of their respective design philosophies.

O.
wobbly

Post by wobbly »

I tend to agree with pzB about the inclusion of the US. If play balance was organised to make sure it waited for the US to enter in 43 then they did things wrongly.

It is the old arguement about history versus reality and this is a game, so it is difficult to satisfy those that want an element of history to the game and others that would like to be able to complete change it [history], but I am not championing historical timelines, it is play balance I am after.
What PzB is putting forward could still allow the US to enter in 43 - they just have a chance to enter earlier than that. Without the US production modifier the allies have alot of difficulty keeping up with the research they need to conduct in all things naval - especially ASW - plus keeping pace in the air. Contrary to reality the allies get handicapped in the naval research race BECAUSE they have such a large fleet. Since naval attacks don't seem to take numbers into account very well, a more technologically superior, but smaller numerically, navy has a real advantage. The Allies also have to keep in touch with ground based units as invasions will be so easily repulsed by the mega-tanks axis powers are almost forced to build.
If Russia is tag teamed from both axis enemies - which appears to be the norm - they have to get help from the allies in regard to supplies or else they too will not be able to keep up with the Axis (Germany especially) in the research arena. The knock on effect continues, as if the Russians are nuetered, then they don't take enough units away from the coastal hexes for the allies to conduct a successful invasion - and stay there (r.e. requirement for land based tech!).

All of this, to my mind, can be offset if the US has a timer to enter the war. The Japs will want their Pearl Harbour or equivalent so may feel inclined to attack first (not wanting to miss a pre-emptive attack); they will also be more weary about attacking Russia if there is a chance the US suddenly enters the war behind them.

My opinion (such as that carries weight) is that this adds a very nice level of randomness to the game and also offsets the current Axis bias the game seems to carry.

I am going to promote another idea (I think it is original - haven't seen it taughted elsewhere): That when you have a numerical superiority in a naval engagement you can return fire with one more unit than the enemy bought. As the Axis I regularly increase the evasion capability of my BBs and then send them against a naval group in singles. Since only one enemy returns fire I often damage a unit and get away - this is ludicrous! (as an addendum this situation presupposes that defensive airpower has been removed by an initial aerial attack).
[center]
[/center]
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

Its interesting that you find an Axis bias. Personally I find a tiny Allied bias. That is when playing without AV which is far too easy to attain for the Axis. Maybe we should play it out :)
wobbly

Post by wobbly »

JanSorenson

Defiantely talking about inclusion of AV. Although I have yet to play in a game, even with AV, where it was obtained. This does not, unfortunately atest to my WaW prowess, more ot the fact I haven't played many PBEM games.
[center]
[/center]
Daykeras

Post by Daykeras »

The Allies definately have the advantage... If the germans research too much into sub warfare, they cannot compete on the Russian front. The Axis doesn't have the production or the population to compete long term. If the US entered the war before 43 that would be more than 3 years of the US attempting to invade Japan and Germany with higher production, better research, and an uncontested base.

I only see an Axis bias with the Auto Victory. As soon as AV is turned off it's closer to equal, but a bit on the Allied side. As soon as End date is turned off, Allies win, unless they screwed up something royal.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”