Vassal module

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
scotswahay

Vassal module

Post by scotswahay »

I pre-ordered this game several weeks ago, and am now eagerly awaiting delivery, however, because I have no ftf opposition, I am only going to be able to play against another person using the vassal module, is the module going to be in the box? or will I have to download it from the vassal site? If the module is not in the box and I do have to download it from the vassal site, is it going to be available as soon as the game is released?

Many thanks [X(]
markhwalker

RE: Vassal module

Post by markhwalker »

Vassal Module will be available here and at the www.locknloadgame.com site. It will be available soon. I can't give an exact date because I don't know it.
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
thoth69

Post by thoth69 »

So is the vassal module meant to actually be played online independently of the board and pieces, i.e., is it a virtual gaming environment, or is it something that is used in conjunction with the physical game? How about the PBEM?

Thanks

Steve
AlvinS

Post by AlvinS »

So is the vassal module meant to actually be played online independently of the board and pieces, i.e., is it a virtual gaming environment, or is it something that is used in conjunction with the physical game? How about the PBEM?

Thanks

Steve

VASSAL allows you to play the board game online. You still need the Rules and Charts to play the game. You can play the game online or PBEM or both. For me, the best thing about VASSAL, is that my cats no longer mess up the pieces.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS
Ichibrothers

Post by Ichibrothers »

Hey All,
Little introduction...my name is Bill Ash and I do the Vassal stuff for LnL. Unfortunately, I have a "real" job that just about soaks the life out of me on a daily basis, so work on the module is progressing...but slowly. As I am "on call' 24/7, I really can't make any comments on when it will be done because sometimes the phone rings and just keeps on ringing for weeks straight. So every chance I get I plug away at it a little at a time. Sorry for the delay, but when you dance with the Devil, ya gonna get burned....!

So, stay tuned. And hopefully it won't take much longer. In the meantime, cut out your beautiful new counters, grab a friend..or a stranger off the street..and start playing!!!!!

Bill
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

BTW guys, Bill does waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the VASSAL module. He --along with Marc Swanebeck and Luis Brown-- was an intregal part in the new BoH map creation. He also does the VASSAL play test mods we use to test these modules. Without him, there would be no LnL.

Best,

Mark
World at War: Revelation, a creepy, military action, alternate history, World War Three novel. At Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (http://tinyurl.com/mcgcht8). Only $3.99. What the hell?
Pirke

Post by Pirke »

Looking forward to your handywork Bill.

BTW I'm new to LnL so was wondering what would be the best approach to look for online players. This site? Or are there others out there?

I'm living in GMT +1 and hope to find some players there that are available for an evening LnL online/ftf once or twice a month.

Pir.
scotswahay

Post by scotswahay »

I will be looking for online opposition also when the vassal module comes out,

probably find opposition in this forum.

also here:-

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@11. ... 6f6d0/4314

and here

http://www.locknloadgame.com/
WO1GKW

Post by WO1GKW »

I can't get the LNL site anymore and I don't know why - but if you can get it thats the place to find players and arrange a time. Not to knock this site but Mark's LNL site is the place to go for LNL questions. Those who know the game system well hang out there and are great at answering questions. The board also has areas to discuss other games as well! Not to many developers would welcome conversation about potential competition!
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Well this site is growning and I notice just about the same people there as I do here.

David
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

He --along with Marc Swanebeck and Luis Brown

Louis Jones to be more precise.

... and it´s Schwanebeck, why does every yank allways type this wrong [;)][:D]
WO1GKW

Post by WO1GKW »

This site is fine David, don't get me wrong it just needs more rules/AAR posts and not all the petty public gripes about preorder shiping and such - people should take that up with customer service because its a private thing. Just my 2 cents...
(I'll be here myself now - I can't get on the LNL site, I must be technologically challenged!)

..and that is true, most of the people on this site can be found on LNL - but there is an F1 and VT football thread there ... what do you say Mark, it was a good one the Hokies taking it to NC state!
Larac

Post by Larac »

Has any one looked at CyberBoard for this kinda thing as well?

Just asking, I have more time in on Cyberboard than Vassel, so was curious.

Cyberboard is also very good for testing and creating games and parts.

Lee
Ichibrothers

Post by Ichibrothers »

Not that I'm aware of Lee. I know it is a matter of tastes and what you are used to, but I find Vassal much easier to use...but that is just me.

BTW: Some HUGE progress on the BoH mod. I have just given it to our playtest group to give it the once over. While they are doing that, I'll see what kind of gravy I can add to it....
At any rate, it should be finished soon.

Bill
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

Larac, I know both tools - both have their pros and cons, but imho VASSAL is much easier to handle - also usefull for PbEM. You start a logfile - save it when done - send it to your opponent - he loads it, can watch your moves: step by step - can read your comments and dr's in the chatwindow... just pretty well working.
imho also sweet for AARs ;) - beside the fact, that a game, where your opponent can't leave the table while it's your going, is not the very best for PbEM.
markhwalker

Post by markhwalker »

why does every yank allways type this wrong

You mean beside the fact that we are basically dumb and uncultured (but we do make good beer)? I dunno, but my apologies, Marc... and Luis... although I doubt he caresabout this stuff right now.

Best,

Mark
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

No apologies needed man [;)] it was just kidding.
and Luis... although I doubt he caresabout this stuff right now.

Too true, but he and his family is allright. I got an email from him 2 days ago. Thanks god.
scotswahay

Post by scotswahay »

Was it an illusion, were my eyes deceiving me?

Hannes signed on to the Vassal server playing Lock and Load, Band of Heroes :)

How close is close?

Ichibrothers

Post by Ichibrothers »

Well.......It is basically done. I'm just seeing what kinda of enhancements I can add to it. As you may know, Vassal is an open source project, and with every new update comes a new way of tweaking a mod. So, I am exploring those possibilities.

One thing I'm toying with now, is a right click option on the German counters allowing you to change the "Division Patch" on the counters! Lot of extra work for me, but it works really well and looks SO cool! I suppose I could do the same for the US to represent other Airborne Divisions.....but, it all takes TIME!!!

So, hang in there!!!

Bill

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”