Enjoying playing WaW, but....

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Dutch_slith

Enjoying playing WaW, but....

Post by Dutch_slith »

I played several games against the AI as Western Allies. I like this game, especially the transport and logistics system.
But in none of my games, the Axis invaded Greece/Crete. Instead the AI choose to capture Spain (and Gibraltar). And Finland only unfreezes when Germany captures Karelia.

Spain should be a frozen minor ally of Germany and should unfreeze when Germany captures London.
Germany won't be able to invade Spain anymore and have to take Gibraltar via amphibious landings and/or by using paratroopers.

Greece should be a frozen minor ally of the Wallies. It should unfreeze when Germany attacks Yugoslavia.

Finland should unfreeze when Germany attacks Russia.

Is it possible to mod files accordingly?

Paul Vebber

RE: Enjoying playing WaW, but....

Post by Paul Vebber »

Yes you can modify the files to behave this way as far as who allied to whom and what triggers them to come in. You can't modifiy the AI strategies. THey are varied and I have seen a number of different AI strategies beside invading Spain. They are keyed to how the scenarios are currently set up - changing the scenarios in as significant a way as you mention, while possible, will likely not be exploited by the AI. If you make those mods, t wold probably be best to play other people, not the AI.

Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

After checking a 'History of the 2nd WW' there is no need to modify the text files as to make Greece join the Western Allies. Britain send troops to Crete, one day after the italian invasion. But it would be nice, if the AI choose to attack Greece/Crete more often (maybe with one extra tank/infantry in Bulgaria representing the 'Panzergruppe 1 ' ).
AI Patch?

Since Finland declared war on Russia 4 days after the german invasion changing the unfreeze-conditions for Finland seems necessary. Should be included in the next patch, but obviously it can be done by simply modifying the frozen.txt file.

Spain is a different matter. Is it possible to split Spain in 3 regions (northwestern, northeastern and southern)?
This would give Spain the chance to retreat AND the other world power the chance to move troops to Spain to defend it.
IMO this will make invasion of Spain more difficult. After London falls Spain should join the Axis, but I don't know if it's possible to make Spain join the Axis by modifying files. Obviously the AI needs to be tweaked. AI Patch, again?

JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

Greece was a bad idea in real life. It would also be a bad idea for the AI so I wouldnt suggest making the AI attack it.

Finland did declare war - but they werent overly agressive. I would say that they were closer to frozen than active in WaW terms. Its not a perfect solution but without introducing rules to restrict the Finnish units I suppose its better the way it is.

Spain - is indeed a problem. I offer no real solution.
a511

Post by a511 »

im ok on the status of Finland b4 Wi43 ... although i think it is more appropriate to unfreeze Finland when Ger DOW russia.

but under the scenario that Ger didnt attack the russian b4 Wi43, i think it is stupid to see Finland getting overrun by the russian in Wi43 everytime. there is absolutely nothing u can do but watching it happended in the replay.

imo the Ger should at least allowed to send extra reinforcement to Finland, in the Wi43 turn, if the Ger player decides to defend Finland(esp. true for someone aiming at an AV).

AN
Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

ORIGINAL: JanSorensen

Greece was a bad idea in real life. It would also be a bad idea for the AI so I wouldnt suggest making the AI attack it.

Attacking Russia was a bad idea in real life too. But the rules force Germany to attack Russia. Since Italy invaded Greece and therefore Britain send troops to it, it was necessary for Germany to attack Greece. IMO the AI should attack Greece, at least sometimes.

Finland did declare war - but they werent overly agressive. I would say that they were closer to frozen than active in WaW terms. Its not a perfect solution but without introducing rules to restrict the Finnish units I suppose its better the way it is.

Good Point.
Agema

Post by Agema »

I think the unlocking Finland thing is good as it is. If the units in it are free to move the minute war is declared, then the hefty army in there would pulverise the USSR. If it to unlock when war is declared, the army should be reduced.

What the current unlocking rules also do is to great for gameplay, even if historically unrealistic. Germany generally would go for the Caucasus or Moscow (or both.) What makes the unlocking interesting is that it makes Leningrad a decent strategic target. Due to Germany's manpower restrictions, those extra units are extremely valuable. Do you give them up and just charge at the bigger targets, or expend some of that charge for the extra units?
Dutch_slith

Post by Dutch_slith »

Actually I havn't played the germans yet. But I think I would try to capture Leningrad (zo unfreeze Finland) and the Caucasus (at least for destroying the resources).

Unlike the AI I will try to capture Egypt and the Near East.
aauminki

Post by aauminki »

that's a lot of targets :p

Return to “The War Room”