Question concerning naval battle

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Dragonheart

Question concerning naval battle

Post by Dragonheart »

When moving my fleet into an enemy hold hex how can i ensure that damaged fleets will return to any factory?

-to have a transport in the nearby hex and a link to a factory?
-to have a transport in the same hex and a link to a factory, where the naval battle occurs?
-to be in a seazone with a friendly harbour?

If one is in a defensive naval battle ones ass can be kicked by removing the transport link before the naval battle occurs and then moving into the battle......is this correct?
5cats

RE: Question concerning naval battle

Post by 5cats »

No, I think the damaged ships move within their speed range to a friendly port for repairs.
Transports are not involved, except for ground troops.
No Will but Thy Will
No Law but the Laws You make
Paul Vebber

Post by Paul Vebber »

The only time damaged ships do not return to harbor is when they are attacked in prot "surrounded" by enemy naval units. I don;t have the bug fix list in front of me, but even that may have been addressed in a patch.

I haven't checked on this since early on when there was some strangenees in this, but I'm pretty sure this has been set straight in the patches.

If you are out in a sea area then damaged ships make their way back to a factory port pretty much no matter what.

Now one's "ass can still be kicked" by leaving the fleet out of supply (a minus 1 to its evasion and +1 to attacker evasion) but i am pretty sure that even if "out of supply" damaged fleets still make their way back to port.

To be in supply you really need to make sure there is a supply in the sea area with the fleets. This can be "floating" on a transport, or on an island in the sea area. A fleet can also draw supply from an adjacent area - but unless there are "extra" an attack on that area can use up the supply before an attack on the "main area".

Remember that units do not draw defensive supply through supply chains - defensive supply must be in or adjacent to the area attacked.

I am pretty sure that regardless of supply or enemy units, damaged fleets at sea always go back SOMEWHERE (I have seen WA ships in teh Western Pacific end up in US East Coast ports and all those damamged in a given battle do not go back to teh same place (it tries not to "flood" one factory so it can't ever get them fixed - that could be why some seem to disappear). The turn the appear is also random between the production pahse of the same turn, and half the production time.

Hope that helps.

Dragonheart

Post by Dragonheart »

Ah that are great news tku.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: Paul Vebber

The only time damaged ships do not return to harbor is when they are attacked in prot "surrounded" by enemy naval units. I don;t have the bug fix list in front of me, but even that may have been addressed in a patch.

I haven't checked on this since early on when there was some strangenees in this, but I'm pretty sure this has been set straight in the patches.

If you are out in a sea area then damaged ships make their way back to a factory port pretty much no matter what.

Now one's "ass can still be kicked" by leaving the fleet out of supply (a minus 1 to its evasion and +1 to attacker evasion) but i am pretty sure that even if "out of supply" damaged fleets still make their way back to port.

To be in supply you really need to make sure there is a supply in the sea area with the fleets. This can be "floating" on a transport, or on an island in the sea area. A fleet can also draw supply from an adjacent area - but unless there are "extra" an attack on that area can use up the supply before an attack on the "main area".

Remember that units do not draw defensive supply through supply chains - defensive supply must be in or adjacent to the area attacked.

I am pretty sure that regardless of supply or enemy units, damaged fleets at sea always go back SOMEWHERE (I have seen WA ships in teh Western Pacific end up in US East Coast ports and all those damamged in a given battle do not go back to teh same place (it tries not to "flood" one factory so it can't ever get them fixed - that could be why some seem to disappear). The turn the appear is also random between the production pahse of the same turn, and half the production time.

Hope that helps.

That makes things a lot clearer for me. Thanks! [:)]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”