Allied resources?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Crimguy

Allied resources?

Post by Crimguy »

I'll admit it: I have no frickin' idea what I need to concern myself with on resources and production as allied.

Sounds naive, but what do I do with oil, for example? The manual sure makes it look like I don't have to concern myself with oil, so why do I have it?
witpqs

RE: Allied resources?

Post by witpqs »

As the Allies, what you have to do with resources and oil is NOTHING!

You can move some oil to Australia to keep the factories there running, but you don't need them because there is so much USA production. If you do move oil to Australia, make sure you put it in a port that can store it or it will just disappear as it is unloaded. Any port that has Resources, Oil, or Heavy Industry can store oil. There might be other things on this list but that's all I know of (someone else might give better info). The oil will move around by rail as it is needed. Oh, make sure you don't bleed the USA dry of oil in your zeal, or you might slow down production in those massive on-map factories!

Of course, depriving the enemy of everything (especially oil) is always a good idea.

Almost forgot - you have no (as in zero) control over production as the Allies. It's all automatic.
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

India, US and Oz are all short on oil prod compared to how much there heavy industry requires. So there is no actual need to ship oil from the US to Oz. However, the DEI produces enough oil to feed India, US and Oz to have all your HI running at 100%. Just one problem, in the first 3 months Japan is going to take it all off you.

This said there are certain points to consider

- Transferring 18000t of oil from US to OZ needs one tanker and will give 18000 supply and 24000 fuel, which would require at least 3 AK's and 2 TK's to transport. So in effect it is an efficient way of shipping to Oz if you dont mind the delay when it gets there. (It must be redistributed to HI, converted and then the supplies/fuel redistributed back to where its required.

- The total amount of resources produced in the US, approx 50000/day, will require a herculean effort to distribute through you empire effciently and you can just use these if you don't want to worry about oil/res. There is more than anough to keep everyone going.

- When shipping resouces out of DEI ahead a japan just head to nearest/safest destination, i.e. India or Oz and dump the oil/res in an appropriate port and the AI will distribute it for you. It doesn't really matter too much where it goes it will all get used

Hope this helps
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

When shipping resouces out of DEI ahead a japan just head to nearest/safest destination, i.e. India or Oz and dump the oil/res in an appropriate port and the AI will distribute it for you. It doesn't really matter too much where it goes it will all get used

i agree for the most part in your statement, except for the last part. If you dump oil in one of the N. Australian ports, it will stay there. The AI is SUPPOSED to move it, but AFAIK no one has gotten this to happen. It will keep it out of the hand of the IJN (unless the Japanese make a run at North Australia) but it will just sit there, and not help produce supplies or fuel.
kkoovvoo

Post by kkoovvoo »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
When shipping resouces out of DEI ahead a japan just head to nearest/safest destination, i.e. India or Oz and dump the oil/res in an appropriate port and the AI will distribute it for you. It doesn't really matter too much where it goes it will all get used

i agree for the most part in your statement, except for the last part. If you dump oil in one of the N. Australian ports, it will stay there. The AI is SUPPOSED to move it, but AFAIK no one has gotten this to happen. It will keep it out of the hand of the IJN (unless the Japanese make a run at North Australia) but it will just sit there, and not help produce supplies or fuel.

rtrapasso is right, if you unload oil in darwin it will stay in darwin for ages.
Tom Hunter

Post by Tom Hunter »

Base some tankers in San Diego, the US oil accumulates there. Every few weeks you can load one up and send it to Sydney. Slowly but surely this will improve the fuel and supply situation in Oz. It does not matter much in a month but over a year it will get you another 250-300,000 supply and 350-400,000 fuel.

In effect you are using a small number of Tankers to do the job of a much larger number of tankers and AKs. Since a lot of winning this game is optimizing logistics it makes sense to do this.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

mantill,

Are you saying that the US on-map factories will not produce at 100% capacity because the US does not produce enough oil for itself?
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

witpqs

I have pasted a picture showing the prod calcs for india. (Note, this does not allow for transport of oil/res from Burma which I have assumed to be small.) You can do the same calcs for US and Oz, which are stand alone. They show US is approximately 2700 oil short and Oz is approx. 5500 per day short. So yes, with there organic oil prod HI would not run at full rate. Burma/DEI contains more than enough oil to top them up though. Palembang produces 3500 oil/day which is enough to run the Indian sub continent on its own.

I am not 100% sure how this affects production rates. As allies don't produce engines the total HI used in the a/c factories must be, per plane type, (No. of engines * 18)/(No. Produced/30). For Dec. 41 this adds upto about 350 HI per day. Not much compared to the amount of HI around. As a short cut track you HI points in the intel screen, if these rise you are producing enough, if they fall you have a short fall and may need to consider making sure your HI centres are getting enough oil and resource.

In fact you should track all these totals. If any of these start to fall consider taking corrective action

Edit P.s. I should point out that this is just my understanding of the allied prod system from reading the manual. If anybody thinks this is wrong feel free to dive in and correct me

Attachments
IndiaProd.jpg
IndiaProd.jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 134 times
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: mantill

witpqs

I have pasted a picture showing the prod calcs for india. (Note, this does not allow for transport of oil/res from Burma which I have assumed to be small.) You can do the same calcs for US and Oz, which are stand alone. They show US is approximately 2700 oil short and Oz is approx. 5500 per day short. So yes, with there organic oil prod HI would not run at full rate. Burma/DEI contains more than enough oil to top them up though. Palembang produces 3500 oil/day which is enough to run the Indian sub continent on its own.

I am not 100% sure how this affects production rates. As allies don't produce engines the total HI used in the a/c factories must be, per plane type, (No. of engines * 18)/(No. Produced/30). For Dec. 41 this adds upto about 350 HI per day. Not much compared to the amount of HI around. As a short cut track you HI points in the intel screen, if these rise you are producing enough, if they fall you have a short fall and may need to consider making sure your HI centres are getting enough oil and resource.

In fact you should track all these totals. If any of these start to fall consider taking corrective action

Edit P.s. I should point out that this is just my understanding of the allied prod system from reading the manual. If anybody thinks this is wrong feel free to dive in and correct me

You get 6 oil per 1 oil displayed at the base! So Lahore is oil 300 and Dacca 150.
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

You get 6 oil per 1 oil displayed at the base! So Lahore is oil 300 and Dacca 150.

Castor, thats what it says in the second to last column which is the oil produced . The third column is oil income, the 7th column oil required = 2xHI, and the 9th, or second to last, column is oil produced. Oil required per day is the sum of the oil required column minus the sum of the oil produced column
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

Castor, thats what it says in the second to last column which is the oil produced . The third column is oil income, the 7th column oil required = 2xHI, and the 9th, or second to last, column is oil produced. Oil required per day is the sum of the oil required column minus the sum of the oil produced column

Oops, sorry, have overlooked that!
WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

The 'basic' economy flow as shown in the Wiki: Economy Flowchart should also apply to the allied players.
ImageImage
vonmoltke

Post by vonmoltke »

the 7th column oil required = 2xHI
mantill,

HI does not require 2xHI oil per day, it requires 2xHI oil to be present and 1xHI oil per day. Accounting for that, India is only 1625 oil short. Per AdmiralLaurent's spreadsheet, OZ is 2460 short and the US is 580 over its requirements.
This space reserved for future expansion
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: vonmoltke

mantill,

HI does not require 2xHI oil per day, it requires 2xHI oil to be present and 1xHI oil per day. Accounting for that, India is only 1625 oil short. Per AdmiralLaurent's spreadsheet, OZ is 2460 short and the US is 580 over its requirements.

Recently someone has posted that neither 2 oil/HI are needed nor 2 oil must be present.
vonmoltke

Post by vonmoltke »

Recently someone has posted that neither 2 oil/HI are needed nor 2 oil must be present.
Yeah, I read that post. Not having observed it firsthand, though, since I rarely play Japan, I figured I'd stick with the official line. [;)]

2 oil per HI per day has never been the case, though.
This space reserved for future expansion
MarcA

Post by MarcA »

ORIGINAL: vonmoltke

mantill,

Yes you are correct. I didn't know the Admiral had already done a spreadsheet. That would have saved some time [8|]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”