How Many Baseball Fans Here?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wesy

RE: How Many Baseball Fans Here?

Post by wesy »

Life long Giants fan here - this has been a tough year to watch and the forty niners are even worse. Bay area sports suck - an no I'm not an A's fan - DH is blasphemy! I've played both OOTP and Puresim, but my favorite is one that no one has mentioned - Diamond Mind Baseball - the most realistic text based baseball game ever - it's replay only - no GM mode but statistically as accurate as you'll ever find - that includes APBA, BBFW and SOM. but it's da bomb. Give a standing ovations to Tom Tippett. Well worth the $$'s - it's got a great pitch by pitch mode too.

Diamond Mind Baseball
"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
parusski

Post by parusski »

Weepingly I admit to being a Kansas City Roayls fan. SOMEDAY. SOMEDAY.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
FlyingElvis

Post by FlyingElvis »

Red Sox fan here.

I grew up playing Strat-O-Matic baseball. Loved that game. I never got the same thrill from computer baseball. Its just not the same for me. I like holding the cards. [:D]
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Just for the record, I do have an APBA baseball board game, with the 1984 season cards and several great teams of the past-- yeah, the PC games certainly lack that tactile sense of holding the cards and rolling the dice, but at least now I can play against a computer manager, and don't have to fool around with those play result boards! [:D]

(BTW, the old APBA pro football board game was even MORE unwieldy, but I got that one, too, with the 1982 & 83 seasons.)
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

My favorite is PureSim by far!

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

My favorite is PureSim by far!

Mets Fan, long time since early 60's [:D]

As to baseball games, nothing beats Stratomatic for realistic statistical accurancy and it has indeed a good computer game with a computer manager individually setup, I'm in several present and past Leagues, How about a 1963 team where I have at 1b Boog Powell, 3b Ron Santo, SS Brinkman, Catcher Roseboro, Lf Billy Williams, Rf Lou Brock...[:D]

www.strat-o-matic.com

It also supports a Netplay option where one can play in real time vs another over internet.

They have decent Football, Basketball and Hockey Sims too.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

ORIGINAL: FlyingElvis

Red Sox fan here.

I grew up playing Strat-O-Matic baseball. Loved that game. I never got the same thrill from computer baseball. Its just not the same for me. I like holding the cards. [:D]

What version did you try?

Its now up to version 10 in windows version.

Has internet play

If really want to use cards theres a manual mode where ya roll em, look up on card and input result and game keeps stats..

[:'(]
Battlestar Pegasus
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Something's happening. The ol' grapevine is shaking with anticipation. [:D]
ShermanM4

Post by ShermanM4 »

It's hard to be a Rockies fan here. Especially because none of the owners seem to have a clue as to what they are doing. Though, Coors Field is probably one of the nicest Stadiums in the Country. Unfortunately, the Rockies are terrible and do not appear to have any salvation in the near future.
"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

ORIGINAL: ShermanM4

It's hard to be a Rockies fan here. Especially because none of the owners seem to have a clue as to what they are doing. Though, Coors Field is probably one of the nicest Stadiums in the Country. Unfortunately, the Rockies are terrible and do not appear to have any salvation in the near future.

Their not necessary terriable, it is just that the high air and all makes for
a tough park for pitchers, also might be an adjustment for any in that airs a bit thinner...

They had some bad things occur too like Neagles getting hurt etc..

Battlestar Pegasus
ShermanM4

Post by ShermanM4 »

Their not necessary terriable, it is just that the high air and all makes for
a tough park for pitchers, also might be an adjustment for any in that airs a bit thinner...

They had some bad things occur too like Neagles getting hurt etc..

True, but have you ever heard of the Blake Street Bombers? Trust me its the owners.

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Try being a Cubs fan this year [8|]

Just when you think all is lost ..........WHAM !

they show you a whole new way to lose [X(]
Dirtdog20

Post by Dirtdog20 »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Try being a Cubs fan this year [8|]

Just when you think all is lost ..........WHAM !

they show you a whole new way to lose [X(]

Right there with you Sarge. I teach, I'm a Cubs fan, and I am married. You think I would learn eventually.
You mean that we gotta take a test after we read this stuff?!?
jchastain

Post by jchastain »

Baseball? Isn't that that game where multi-millionaire so called athletes take drugs so they will be real big as they stand around with their beer guts watching to see if the one guy with the stick has enough coordination to hit the ball passed between the only other 2 players on the field who are actually doing anything? If that's the game you mean, I think it is a great excuse to have a beer and a hot dog with friends but I have a hard time imagining why anyone really cares about watching them play.
Big B

Post by Big B »

ORIGINAL: jchastain

Baseball? Isn't that that game where multi-millionaire so called athletes take drugs so they will be real big as they stand around with their beer guts watching to see if the one guy with the stick has enough coordination to hit the ball passed between the only other 2 players on the field who are actually doing anything? If that's the game you mean, I think it is a great excuse to have a beer and a hot dog with friends but I have a hard time imagining why anyone really cares about watching them play.
He he, well,... that is certainly one valid point of view!
As for me, take pitty on a poor LA RAMS fan. After 25-30 years of dying on Sunday, I finally woke up and decided I would never care about sports again.
Bitter and disillusioned? Yah you could say that.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I think it is a great excuse to have a beer and a hot dog with friends but I have a hard time imagining why anyone really cares about watching them play.

Why would you post that in a "Baseball fan" thread.

[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]
ShermanM4

Post by ShermanM4 »

Well, certainly Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa et al...have done irreprable damage to the game. Still, I think Baseball is an all American sport. Baseball created a culture of winners and succesful thinkers. In another thread or some pm's I would love to show you why the US could never have won any of the world wars without Baseball in its culture, but that is a discussion for another thread.

When I was growing up, I witnessed the phenomonon the Rockies imprinted on Denver. The Stadium revitalized a depressed neighborhood and adorned the name of one of the states largest businesses (Coors Field). In seven seasons, Coors Field continuously boasted a 4 million fan attendance per year. That was the largest in Baseball at the time. Now, it is just over 1 million, and the Rockies are worse than the Cubs. They are becoming like the Mets of the 60's.
Big names like Vinnie Castilla, Eric Young, Larry Walker, Andres Gallraga, Joe Girardi, Dante Bichette, and many others are truely top notch athletes. None of these guys are into the Steroids craze, and they do not hold hall of fame records. They gave us good teams and great moments that I can never forget. They gave countless kids around the area heroes and role-models to look up. That is the most important thing of all, and that is the true hall of fame.

jchastain

Post by jchastain »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Why would you post that in a "Baseball fan" thread.

Because sometimes, when you see a bunch of people standing around talking about how Keanu Reeves MUST be the best actor ever, you just feel strangely compelled to grab them by the shoulders and shake them until they wake up. And besides, when you find yourself standing in front of a pot with a spoon in your hand, why not stir?

[:'(]
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Well I must admit, that as I enter "old fart" territory, I no longer have the patience to sit and watch a 3+ hour baseball game...However baseball on the radio is pure Nirvanna. Now that I have XM radio, it is great to take a nice long drive or putz around the house doing projects, while listening to the SF Giants blow another game....
DandricSturm

Post by DandricSturm »

However baseball on the radio is pure Nirvanna

I sometimes play a game of Broadcast Blast BBW just to hear Ernie Harwell.

"The Guns, Thank God, The Guns..." - Rudyard Kipling
http://www.bluemax-ara-assoc.com/

Return to “General Discussion”